Any saltwater aquarium folks here?

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is my other big money habit..uh..I mean hobby. Salt water aquariums. Specifically reef tanks. At one point in time my dining room was nothing but tanks. But it finally got to be a pain in the ass to keep up with so I consolidated everything down to one tank.

The current setup is a custom built tank. Made out of 3/4" Starphire glass. It is 48" wide, 36" deep, 36" tall, 200 gallons. I wanted to basically have a big cube. Running 800 watts of metal halide lighting. Has a 2400gph closed loop system for circulation, and 1300gph on the filtration pump. And yes.. it eats some electricity! In fact, it has it's own cooling system. Has a 1/3hp chiller system that water pumps through to keep the tempature at 79 degrees constantly.

Anyway, here are a few (actually probably way too many) pics.

Here is the tank itself. Actually looks quite different now as you will see in some of the later pictures. This was day 1 when I transferred everything that I was going to keep out of the other tanks in to the new setup.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of some of the plumbing underneath. Yes, it is a maze of PVC

tank7.jpg

tank8.jpg

And here are some shots of the residence.

tank6.jpg

tank9.jpg

tank10.jpg

tank13.jpg

tank11.jpg

tank12.jpg

tank14.jpg

tank15.jpg

tank16.jpg

My herd of clams...
tank18.jpg

My camera is far from being the greatest in the world, but this is my attempt at doing some macro photography

tank5.jpg

tank17.jpg

tank19.jpg

tank20.jpg

This guy here is one of my favorite animals in the tank. This is a Queen Conch that I have had since it was about the size of a dime. Currently it is about 5 inches long.

tank3.jpg

Much dig my aquarium. Spend more time watching it than I do TV. It is extremely relaxing to say the least. Of course when something goes wrong it is also one of the most stressful hobbies I have ever had!

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Damn you Doc!!! I just looked at all those pics about 3 times, and now I'm looking over my new house floor plans to see if I can put one of those somewhere. Pretty kewl...

Quick... tell me how much fukkin money it would cost me so I can change my mind.

SixtySix

ZonieBaloney
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Quick... tell me how much fukkin money it would cost me so I can change my mind.

Thousands Don, Thousands. Lot's of maintenance and more money....
800 watts of juice running all the time ain't exactly cheap either...
Did that deter you Don? :thumb:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tank cost me about a hundred bucks a month in electricity. And yes, that is a realistic amount of what it actually cost, determined two different ways. First by calculating the power draw of each piece of equipment and multiplying that by the amount of time each piece of equipment runs, multiplying that amount by my per kwh charge. Then just to see I also bought one of those devices that you plug in the wall then plug something in to, put in your electric rate, let it run for 24 hours, and see how much it draws. Both methods came out REAL close to the same.

The instant chunk of cash comes from the initial setup. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 in the equipment alone. All of which has to be in place before you start populating the tank. Obviously this can vary depending on what size setup you want, and what you intend on keeping in it. If you want to go with a reef tank, it is going to cost you more than if you wanted to go with a fish only tank, or a fish and live rock tank. Because lighting requirements, water circulation requirements, and temperature requirements are quite different for a reef than they are for just fish.

Last is the livestock. Again, just depends on what you want as to how much to spend. If you are doing fish then it is not too bad. Don't get me wrong, there are fish that costs hundreds of dollars a piece. But it is still cheap depending on how many you end up with. Coral on the other hand, that shit is expensive. To give you an idea, my clams were around $65 a piece. Got them when they were only about 3". And they are of the "medium" price variety. There are pieces in my tank I paid over a hundred bucks for, there are pieces in there I paid 20 bucks for. But the one thing about a reef is you only add things one or two pieces at a time, and you wait a month or so between additions. So the cost to populate a reef tank doesn't seem quite so bad since it is spread out. Add it up in the end and it scares the hell out of you though!

Maintenance is pretty simple. It's an eco system. You get it set up and the best thing you can do to it once it is balanced is leave it the hell alone.

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice setup you have. I used to raise/breed/sell African Cichlids and got to the point of having 10+ tanks. The showcase was a custom built 400 gallon tank.
It got to the point where it no longer felt like a hobby, but a chore, so eventually sold everything off.
A saltwater setup is another beast entirely, and a properly setup tank takes a ton of preparation, patience and skill.
Kudos to you, it is a GREAT looking setup.

don_w

Reaction score
OK... not sure I want to invest that kind of money into it. Maybe I'll just have hawg set up a videocam, and send me about a 2-hour DVD. Then I'll put it up on the plasma. :beerdrink:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK... not sure I want to invest that kind of money into it. Maybe I'll just have hawg set up a videocam, and send me about a 2-hour DVD. Then I'll put it up on the plasma. :beerdrink:

hehe.. kinda like the yule log DVDs that people who don't have a fireplace play at Christmas

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seeing that in person was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! Those pics don't even compare to what it really looks like! It's soo sick, everything in his tank is alive, everything!!!

WELLS

forum member
Reaction score
Hawg My Buddy Phil Has A Pool In His Basement With 2 Sharks Lol His Dad Spends Over 100k A Year On Their Salt Water Tanks And Keeping Up The Shark Tank Ill Have To Ask Him What Type Of Sharks They Are. Salt Water Tanks Are Bad Ass Though.

don_w

Reaction score
hehe.. kinda like the yule log DVDs that people who don't have a fireplace play at Christmas
I have one of those DVDs, too.

Hawg My Buddy Phil Has A Pool In His Basement With 2 Sharks Lol His Dad Spends Over 100k A Year On Their Salt Water Tanks And Keeping Up The Shark Tank Ill Have To Ask Him What Type Of Sharks They Are. Salt Water Tanks Are Bad Ass Though.
Frikkin sharks with frikkin lasers on their heads...

BTW...

:worth: Show us the sharks!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sharks_with_laser_beams-w72pgv-d.jpg

lasers_20080206161421.ark.png

shark.jpg

WELLS

forum member
Reaction score
Ill Have To See About That The Next Time I Go With Him To His Parents House. They Live In Overland Park Ks Though. They Are Only Like Maybe 3 Ft. Long Though Still Fucking Cool Though.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been to Sprint Central several times. Have friends that work there. Actually I have friends scattered pretty much all over Kansas.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ill Have To See About That The Next Time I Go With Him To His Parents House. They Live In Overland Park Ks Though. They Are Only Like Maybe 3 Ft. Long Though Still Fucking Cool Though.

Thats where I lived in Kansas.

Nice setup Hawg. I've always wanted to do something like that.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The ex had a salt water tank with coral. It was pretty sweet but again expensive. That and I couldn't convince her to get a shark for it. It would have been cool watching a shark eat the other fish.

Back