Any saltwater aquarium folks here?

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful setup Hawg, I owned an aquatic store for a couple of years "a dream of mine" but had to get out of it I just did not make enough and it did not go over as planned in my area. And now I travel so much with work that I cant even set up my own tank and it kills me! My friend is playing with a Nano Cube and keeps rubbing it in my face. lol, Im impressed with that little setup. Im jealouse of you and him now :thumb:
Your tank looks great though!

SpauneN

forum member
Reaction score
I've got 3 fish tanks but their african cichlids! Freshwater is much cheaper but saltwater fish look way more colorful! I have a 120 gallon with Tropheus Duboisi. My digital camera broke but I have 30 of these in my 120.
14kjp02.jpg

Roush08

Reaction score
His setup is fantastic but if you want to learn they make these little 25 gallon self contained setup's that have all the filtration, lighting and circulation built right in for typiclly around 400 dollars (with a stand) I have been running one for about 6 months now and it works great. It also lets you learn about what goes with what, chemical balancing and in general how to run a salt water tank. Mine is a reef tank also and it will only hold so many fish (3 or so depending on size) and some pretty neat coral. The best part is that if you decide you like the hobby and become proficent at it you can transfer everything to a much bigger tank. I have found the biggest thing is patience with these tanks and since I have had to learn that the hard way I have killed my fair share of inhabitants..lol. Anways hope that helps and doesn't deter you as bad.

Mustangfreak

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thousands Don, Thousands. Lot's of maintenance and more money....
800 watts of juice running all the time ain't exactly cheap either...
Did that deter you Don? :thumb:

The juice part did! :roflmao:

I had a 10g SW when I was stationed at Grand Forks. But I lived on base so I didnt have to care about an electric bill LOL

I want one know, but I choose brewing beer over another tank. Plus I don't have the room.

SpauneN

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome tank! In about 8 hours from now, I'm going to my local fish store and picking up 2 lion fish, few tangs and an eel for my newly setup 120 Gallon saltwater tank! I'm so pumped.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
I have a saltwater money pit now also. As of now I have 16 gallon with 1 anenome and one percula(clownfish) and also some live rock. But I just bought a 90 gallon and waiting for my sump to be made. This was day 1 so it doesnt look as good as I want it to but I have had it for awhile and now it looks a whole lot different.

IMG00012-20090323-1742.jpg

IMG00011-20090323-1742.jpg

Last edited:

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
Also forgot to add good looking yellow tangs and tomatoe clown.

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, sell it now and get out while you don't have a large investment!!:clap:

Branomano08BlackBullitt

Soaking Up The Knowledge
Reaction score
My dad and I were into this for while he use to let me choose the fish and stuff had a TON of fun.... the best part was having a dad who loved whatching fish do some... umm... lets just say we had our fair share of aggressive fish that shouldn't have been there when we knew it... but MAN it was fun to watch... we had this one dogface puffer in a 250 Gallon Tank and it was just mean 6 inches of aggressive fish... use to feed that thing silversides and it would eat them like freaking pasta... its a great father/son thing I think.. but VERY time consuming and annoying at times. We stopped with it about a year ago now.. haven't really missed it... one of those nuetral things I guess... its awesome when its there and whatever when it aint.

mmiller40

Reaction score
It costs between 25$ and 50$ a gallon to set up a reef tank. The larger the tank the lower the cost ratio.. Just my 2 cents

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I just read through this entire thread, Don's cracking me up!

That's a sweet set up Hawg, my sister is big into the salt water stuff. I couldn't tell you what she's got now, but it's so relaxing to sit on the couch and watch the fish swim around.

I don't have the patience for salt water even though I wish I did, car takes up to much of my money lol.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
my other obsession, saltwater tanks. I've had a few over the last 10 years. Currently have a 6' long 150 gallon I'm getting ready to plumb and set up. Got all the clean up crew critters in a 30 now awaiting their new digs. Going to plumb in a 50 for a frag grow out tank with a 30 gallon sump. Building it into the wall in the basement.

jjay760

forum member
Reaction score
i used to work with a guy out here that was all into the salt water thing. he would even like breed his stuff and showed me a forum for salt water guys. he set half of his living room and garage it was nuts, but crazy at night

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
i used to work with a guy out here that was all into the salt water thing. he would even like breed his stuff and showed me a forum for salt water guys. he set half of his living room and garage it was nuts, but crazy at night

once you go from just fish, to fish with some easy to care for corals, to an all coral reef tank, your life is over, haha

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I figured I'd revive this and show off my salty setup. It's a 29 gallon Biocube. Real managable, nothing crazy in it. Some softys, zoos, clowns, crabs (emerald, and blue leg hermits), a scooter blenny, Coral Beauty, Hawk Fish, I'm going to be setting up a 14 gallon biocube for my desk here at work.

This is my 29:

7f78ffbb.jpg

61e5aaba.jpg

This is the 14g I'll be setting up here at work on my desk:

604b75b4.jpg

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
my friend at work is into his tank for over $30k. its not just the tank though, it is setup as a dividing wall between the dining room and living room. custom built 800+ gallons. he had to reinforce the floor below the tank and build custom cabinets to access the tank and plumbing. he has some crazy shit in there though, like a pistol shrimp that sounds like its shooting a gun all night

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
30 k that's crazy his place must look like on on cribs huh ?

Sent from your moms phone

its an obsession with him. hes had it for ten years or more though. so considering thats what he has put in over that much time its not that bad

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
have 75 gallon tank with 40'ish gallon sump. Lots of liverock, flame angel, pair of yellow stripe maroon clowns.
HUGE candycane coral, started as 2 polyps, its now around 40, and another candycane that started as 3 and is now around 20. handful of different color ricordeas and a nice array of zoas.

Built stand, sump, and lighting system myself. Will post pics when I can get it cleaned up. Now that the stress of buying a new car is gone, I can spend the time on it that it needs.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back