Any Tabaki smokers here?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a good Cohiba last weekend. Really was a good way to wind down a long week.

I'm new to the cigar game though, got any good recommendations?

Churchill. Go big or go home.

winston-churchill-marrakesh-b.jpg

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I had a good Cohiba last weekend. Really was a good way to wind down a long week.

I'm new to the cigar game though, got any good recommendations?

I'm by no means an expert on cigars, but if you want something not costly with excellent taste IMO you cant go wrong with an ACID Cigar.

Cohibas are pretty good, but the best Cigar I ever had was a Cuban.

ah ok, yeah i still would spit with those camel packets didn't like the burn in my throat only wanted the burn on my lip

I would still spit too. I dip SKOAL regularly and even when i get those "spitless" ones i still feel the need to spit

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on cigars, but if you want something not costly with excellent taste IMO you cant go wrong with an ACID Cigar.

Cohibas are pretty good, but the best Cigar I ever had was a Cuban.

I would still spit too. I dip SKOAL regularly and even when i get those "spitless" ones i still feel the need to spit

i used to do kodiak cause i was cheap lol, but yeah i can't see how swallowing that shit could be remotely safe..can you say stomach cancer... i quit that shit about 5 months ago and i hardly ever smoke anymore

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I started smoking regularly (pack a day) at 15 and quit when i was 20. Im 30 now and the past year or two ive been smoking more, it started only if i really wanted one, then when i was drinking now one in the evening before i went to sleep.

Im starting to feel the effects of the cigs again but i do enjoy that "My" time you get from smoking. I generally smoke in a comfortable place outdoors on my own. I Ive been marinating on your thread for a couple days so i decided to give the pipe a shot.

Went to 3 local area shops and the best i can do was a plastic Chinese pipe that looks like wood and the Blue "Captain Black" cav. As soon as i took the wrapper off the pouch i got a whiff of that wonderfull smell, it took me back to being a young boy when my uncle would occasionally smoke his pipe, its amazing the memories and feelings a scent can bring back.

So ive "Smoked two bowls"(i think of the Green tobac when i hear that line) and ive enjoyed em so far, my biggest problem is getting it lit well with a match or a lighter, i can also see how packing makes the difference. But once you get it going its smoking nice and thick.

The aroma in your pallette and around you is so sweet and unlike Cigs and Cigars, the pipe smoke is a lot more pleasant, i like the aroma of cigars but they can get very stinky, particularly indoors. The pipe just smells good, even your clothes do after smoking. The After taste of the actual smoke is much like cigar, unfortunately it doesn't taste as good as it smells but while your smoking the pipe the aroma is fantastic.

While i dint get that Cigarette kick, i did feel a nice mellow buzz from the nicotine, much like a cigar. My shirt smells like Captain Black now and i cant stop sniffing it, haha. Im curious to try some other tobaccos and i hope i can get some of my uncles old pipes, cause that would just be cool.

Thanks for the suggestion, your well written posts really intrigued me to try sumn i thought was for old men. And Thank you Captain Black for bringing back some long forgotten memories.

Last edited:

ixtlan

Reaction score
If you want a good cheap pipe look for the Dr. Grabow.
Easy to find and not real expensive.
Get them from online stores though. Walk in Stores burn ya on them as they are considered Impulse buy items.
Stick with a briar and stay away from the little shorty pipes.
The Royal Duke is my preferred style but I have a pretty large collection of many types.
I prefer the angled bit designs instead of the straight.
The reason why is the wet in a pipe (Tar and nicotine with moisture) tends to flow towards the bowl and not down the bit to your mouth.
A taste of nic and tar liquid style is pretty nasty.
Grabows are a filter pipe if you want to use them.
Myself I don't use the filter. Clogs too fast and changes the taste too much.
Sounds like you got a Yellow Bowl. They are a synthetic briar and get way too hot in use IMO.

As for the Capt Black.
Let it dry out a bit. I take what I will use the next day of Blue Note (my mainstay) and leave in an open tin overnight. Just about the right dryness overnight to make it easier to light and burn.
If you dry it out too much then wet your fingers as let the drops fall off you fingers into the baki.
Remember a little water goes a LOOOONNNGGG way.
A full 50 gram tin that is dried out takes like 4 drops of water to make it just a tad wetter than you want it.
I like CB a lot and consider it the best of the store brands. Although the humidor additive turns me away from it. Hence the Lane 1Q which is CB Gold without the Hummy chem.
To get the black and white without hummy you need to get the one pound bulk.

Pipe smokin is catching on again.

And for your gee wiz basket.
The phrase "Dont Doddle Around" comes from pipe smoking.
On ships the crew would break and smoke pipes.
When they dumped the bowls to go back to work it was called doddling.
Hot burning tabaki on a wood ship deck.
Bad combo.
Hence the phrase.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Tried a new baki today.
Peterson's Special 2010 Reserve.
This is some damn good baki. Smells great and tastes damn good.
Fruity and nougat taste to it.
This is not an everyday though as it is expensive.
Available only in 100 gram tins at anywhere from 21 to 30 bucks.
That works out to about 98 bucks a pound.
Grab some if you want to try a really outstanding baki.
But stash it away from yourself or go broke fast.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
So the Cheapo pipe i bought broke after 2 bowls, i bought a more expensive Cheapo pipe and that fell apart after 1 smoke! So in Friday after work i visited this really fine Tobacconist in Manhattan (De La Concha), ive passed by a million times but never actually went in, they have a huge slection of pipes and cigars and even a small smoking lounge, the place smells incredible.

The gentleman showed me a bunch of pipes but they were very expensivem cheapest one was $85! He directed me to a store a few block away that have more reasonalbe peices, i bought an "Angelo" pipe for $40 bucks, its a round filter style pipe and the quality is very nice, i looked at 20 diff pipes and this one had solid construction and a pleasing grain in the wood, so i pulled the trigger. I also bought a tamper and a spacer for the filter pipe incase i did not want to use a filter or ran out, this way the passage is narrowed and it wont draw as hard.

I went back to De La Concha, as they blend their own Pipe tobacco's, i told the guy im new and ive only tried Captain Black but i like the Cavendish aroma, he showed me a few different blends and recomended "Tropical Mist". There were about 10 Cigar smokers there and one lonely Pipe smoker, i came up to him and told him that this is my 4th bowl EVER and asked him to give me a quick 101 class on pipe smoking as he looked expereinced. He showed me the proper way to pack a bowl (loose at the bottom, tight at the top) and explained the proper use of a tamper. He carried two pipes with him, both very nice peices, one was from the 1930's. This guy has been doing it for a while and he smokes straight Tobacco as opposed to aromatics, it smells just like a cigar and does not have as pleasing of a scent but is still very nice.

So i lit up soem De La Conccha Tropical Mist and the aroma was so pleasant, the tobacco was a million times better than Captian Black, you can taste and smell the Tobacco very clearly despite the aromatics.

De Le Concha also does mail order, so you may want to look into it, there selection of quality pipes and Tobacco's was HUGE!

2011-04-05002256.jpg

2011-04-01190241.jpg

2011-04-01190429.jpg

2011-04-01190413.jpg

2011-04-01190706.jpg

2011-04-01190656.jpg

ixtlan

Reaction score
Now your hooked on pipes.
Look for the Peterson I mentioned.

looks like this:
1290550927-Peterson%20Special%20Reserve%20Limited%20Edition%202010.jpg

Shop around for pricing.
EBay has a large bunch of pipes.
You need to catch the deals as with any EBay stuff.
I guess I need to picture up my collection of pipes.
Some are 100 yrs old.
And Yes I smoke em.
They need the Love too.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
this thread has made me start smoking cigars regularly again ahahahaha.

gonna swing by the smoke shop this week and browse hahaha

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Wow! That's some collection, i different pipe for every day of the month, hah.

Which one is your favorite? and why?

ixtlan

Reaction score
Wow! That's some collection, i different pipe for every day of the month, hah.

Which one is your favorite? and why?

1st column 7th down is the one I use the most.
It is a daily beater Dr. Grabo Grand Duke.
I like the thickness of the wood so I dont feel the heat on my hand.
The shape because it fits comfortably in my palm.
It is slightly angled so the moisture stays towards the bowl.
The bowl is not too big or deep either.

I rotate through several though, and let them dryout between.
It really is a personal thing though what you will like.
I have never smoked the ceramic on the right side.
It is a collector pipe and very rare.
I will do a little post on that one another time with better pics.
Also how to deep clean them and sanitize one if your interested.
It is a process I do a batch at a time.
Not the normal weekly cleaning.

Back