Anyone had the airbag recall done..Question

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Ford won't do shit where I am (they are completely broke over here) so is up to me to do this, any info is appreciated. Both airbags are affected by the recall?

Manuel, you may check with Tasca Ford. Maybe they can supply you the parts for you to install. Just an idea of a place to start.

Sent from iPhone

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Ford won't do shit where I am (they are completely broke over here) so is up to me to do this, any info is appreciated. Both airbags are affected by the recall?

I believe it is just the driver side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
It is the driver air bag in the steering wheel. The cartridge, if it ever goes off, throws metal shards out, and it has killed some people. This is the reason for the recall, and why they are only replacing the cartridge.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
If there is anyone in the NYC area and can recommend a dealer I would appreciate it!

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
First time i ran the vin on my 06 it did not show up but the next time i ran it it did so i took it to my dealer and they ran it and it was on the list so it has been repaced, pretty simple swap out no pain.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that my horn doesn't work when depressed. Yet the horn works when I hit the key fob twice....within 5 secs. I'll see if I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Great, just checked again and mine is now showing up as needing it done. It looks like ALL S197 Mustangs will need this. I'm not too worried since the car is only 3 years old, and it's not all that humid around here.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Just called my dealer to make an appointment. They told me they don't have enough info to do the recall. The notice shows up on the My Ford site for my car but, I don't have the letter sent by Ford yet so, they can do nothing. They say they haven't got any instructions from Ford for this recall as of yet. So, in the meantime, I wait for either the Airbag to go off and kill me or they finally get their act together and schedule my appointment.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I called the dealership near my office and Ford Customer Care. I'm affected by the recall but Ford hasn't released the recall info for my vehicle yet to be repaired? So I get to drive around with a hidden grenade in my airbag for now?! WTH?!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It gets worse. The US VP for Takata now sez the replacements need to be replaced. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/takat...4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

and the latest...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/takata-expresses-regret-capitol-hill-airbag-recall /story?id=31482673

Replacement air bags to be replaced. http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/02/autos/takata-airbag-recall/index.html

One woman recently (5 days ago) had a huge chunk of metal embedded into her neck....from the airbag. It was like 1.5" chunk of steel.

The amonium nitrate used, in some cases, absorbs moisture, and the resulting detonation is way too extreme, blowing pieces of metal into your face and neck.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Ahhhh! That might explain why Ford won't touch my vehicle despite the recall notice. The recall has been recalled to issue a new recall. :)

I hope I don't detonate the hidden land mine in my steering wheel.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
So the Autoblog article was stating it is about 34 million+ cars affected NOW (and growing), and they are still making/implementing airbags with the ammonium nitrate that may be the cause of the exploding metal shards. The company said they are only making about 740,000 recall units per month, and are trying to make it 1 million per month. Even then, the recall units and new vehicles, still being made by Takata, are still using canisters with ammonium nitrate.

Even then, the recall units are being recalled because of the chemical. The company said they are trying to move to a safer nitrate, but don't have a timeline.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/02/nhtsa-chief-takata-airbag-fix-will-take-months/

rlma84

Reaction score
Same here only hope is for this land mine not to go off on my face [emoji85]

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous. I feel like calling the dealer and demanding they remove the air bag until they get one that's safe. As a matter of fact, I think I'll look into doing it myself.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
"Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE."

This is a part of the message in the recall notice up in My Ford site. This statement alone, suggest that they don't have your safety in mind with the fact that they don't offer even a temporary solution such as removing the air bag completely until the have a permanent 'remedy'. Consider that, doing nothing ups the chance that the air bag can go off in your face without provocation and an accident will set it off and the same situation could result with the shrapnel in your face. The temporary solution would be to remove it completely until a safe design is available.

I will be contacting Ford with this and will be interested in their response.

Just got off the phone with Ford and they gave me a bullshit answer. They claim that our recall has nothing to do with the 'exploding air bag' recall. They said it has to do with too much pressure expelled when the air bag goes off. This is an old recall that goes back many years that has been remedied for a number of years. Certainly before my car was manufactured. I called bullshit on this and told them that story won't fly with the many that have this recall. I have filed a complaint with them for all the good that will do. By the way, they would NOT authorize the dealer to remove the air bag in the interim which suggest they do not have my or your safety in mind. So, currently we have a situation that, without removing the air bag, you could have it explode in your face without provocation or have an accident with the same result. I told them this and it didn't seem to register with them. I don't expect them to address my complaint which will probably find it's way into the round file.

My suggestion to you all is to call Ford and give them the same suggestion as mine and when they give you their pat answer, register a complaint. There's strength in numbers. Do it for your own safety if not your families.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Actually, I think it is only a danger if it is in an accident. I haven't seen any reports of it just randomly going off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back