Anyone had the airbag recall done..Question

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
There's been at least one incident due to excessive humidity. I believe one of the links above have the story involving this. In any case, you wouldn't want the possibility of being pelted with shrapnel from your defective air bag whether is goes off on it's own or due to an accident. Having both incidences occur just furthers the possibility of injury if not death.

Last edited:

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, I think it is only a danger if it is in an accident. I haven't seen any reports of it just randomly going off.

soooooo when you need an airbag you get a shotgun to the face/chest... or you can disconnect and reply on the seat-belts like we used to do in the '80s?

rlma84

Reaction score
I was told by the Ford rep not to worry that my car was safe. Bullshit!!!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. Yes, the air bags can discharge metal shards, but if it was a 100% shot that you would be hit with those shards when the air bag went off, how come we haven't heard a bunch of 05-07's owners having their heads blown off? They were the main group to get the recall. How many S197 accidents have we seen on here, and off the forum with the airbag discharged, and the driver comes out of it alive with a couple of bruises at the most? The guys with the newer models are acting like it could spontaneously go off today, yet how come there hasn't been a massive recall for the 05's before Takata's fuck up?

Keep in mind, Takata has been replacing airbags waaaay before the Mustang was ever involved. A lot of the deaths were in 2001 Accord's which is why Honda was one of the first to just go ahead and replace them all. They have been doing recalls since the late 90's early 2000's.

I'm not trying to defend Takata. Personally, I think they need to go fuck themselves if they refuse to drop everything and just replace the gas in the cartridges like they are being told. It shouldn't be that hard, and "it'll take a year or two" timeline is BS. In the kind of water they are in now, why continue to manufacture faulty canisters, and not go ahead and do the R&D needed for the correct gas?

claudermilk

Reaction score
^^^ +1000000

Yeah, the part design is defective. Yeah, it needs to be addressed. I seriously doubt the dealer is even allowed to disable the airbag, much as some would like them to; that's a whole new can of worms of liability.

:chillpill:
They will address it--they have to. In the meantime, don't get in an accident. ;)

Oh, and Takata can go fuck themselves--in fact they probably already have.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
NHTSA allows the driver's air bag to be disabled under two conditions, 1 - the driver is under 4'6" (Ryan), or 2 - there is a health condition (scoliosis or achondroplasia) that requires the air bag to be disabled. Disabling the air bag in these conditions requires approval through NHTSA, and documentation to be presented in case the disabled air bag comes into question. - http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/Deactivation+FAQ

Now, for the Takata recall, Toyota has been allowed to turn the PASSENGER air bag off, (the article I was reading was showing Toyota is only affected on the passenger side anyways), but NHTSA does not say anything in a situation like this for the drivers side. As Clauder said, you may end up running into liability issues, and possibly issues with insurance companies denying coverage.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Some good points being made here. In the end, it's the user, you and me, that will suffer the consequences of these air bags. If you are comfortable with that by your opposing point of view, it's your life. Doesn't matter what vehicles or how many accidents have deployed defective air bags with no incident, the fact that any number of these air bags is a potential grenade is not acceptable to me. I believe they need some sort of temporary solution to deter any potential danger that is present. My suggestion that the air bag be removed or, at least turned off, is one. If insurance companies have a problem with this or other liabilities are involved, that is the problem for the companies involved to remedy. I, for one, do not want to be a guinea pig in this situation.

Last edited:

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my insurance company (Allstate) and while they could not recommend disconnecting or removing the air bag, they would not penalize me for doing so if, down the road I had a claim from an accident. Discounts would not even change. So, even though Ford won't authorize disconnecting or removal, I will see if I can set up an appointment to have it removed on my own, aside from the recall. If they still won't do it then, I'll do it myself.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my insurance company (Allstate) and while they could not recommend disconnecting or removing the air bag, they would not penalize me for doing so if, down the road I had a claim from an accident. Discounts would not even change. So, even though Ford won't authorize disconnecting or removal, I will see if I can set up an appointment to have it removed on my own, aside from the recall. If they still won't do it then, I'll do it myself.

Talk to the Ford rep here, Deisha(sp). I'm sure they should be able to help you if your vin is on the recall list.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I would think that if Deisha? was paying attention, then she(?) would have had something to say or recommend in this thread. My intention is not to reference the recall, of which my car is listed but rather, just setting up an appointment to have it removed.

As a side note, my insurance company did recommend my looking into suggesting Ford replace my car with a new model that did not have this issue. I told them that was not going to happen and said that Allstate and all insurance companies should get involved in this which would be more realistic; to put pressure on car companies to speed up the process.

At any rate, if our 'Ford Rep' is out their, please give us your take and recommendations for this issue. Apparently, Ford feigns ignorance to this issue and has lied to me about what air bag issue I have, even though, my recall notice refers to the exploding air bag issue.

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
I'm gettin' kinda pissed. This defect has been known and public for how long? And still, when I check the recall status, it says: "Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE." WTF??

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I had a dealership in Texas tell me they would have to give me less for my trade because my car didn't have the recall done.......................hahahahahahahaha

true story. So I traded local and got $5000 more than they were gonna give me in Texas:idiot:.:hahano:

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm gettin' kinda pissed. This defect has been known and public for how long? And still, when I check the recall status, it says: "Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE." WTF??

Takata's got something like 37 million units to replace. That's not going to happen overnight Also, Ford didn't suppress knowledge of the issue for a decade like their rivals did (that we know of). Sucks that we have to wait, but if they don't have parts, what can they do?

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a notice in the mail that I receive notification when parts are available. I had a dealer tell me my car was worth less on trade in because of the recall. They will try everything, those jokers.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score

This is Takata's issue, not Ford's. Ford just happened to use these air bags, and as soon as they were notified, they issued the recalls. The list is still piling up too. The reason why Ford are in a "REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE" loop with their recalls is because the replacements that Takata was sending out were just as bad as the units they were replacing.

I just got a notice in the mail that I receive notification when parts are available. I had a dealer tell me my car was worth less on trade in because of the recall. They will try everything, those jokers.

Should be a moot point being that it is a Safety Recall. IIRC Safety Recalls must be performed before a dealer puts it up for resale, and don't expire. Being that recalls are usually free, it shouldn't cost them a dime.

Last edited:

utm18

forum member
Reaction score
I just received my notice for my 2011 friday. But the parts are on back order?

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
^that's what I am experiencing in the Northern Virginia Area.

Back