Anyone here into Martial Arts?

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
So I was talking to 1 of my co-workers who does BJJ (brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and I was talking to him about maybe getting into krav maga which is (Israeli Jiu Jitsu) I know some but not enough to consider myself a master. Just wondering if any of you guys do any kind of stuff like so. From karate to tai kwon do?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Sampled quite a few of them. Krav Maga is more than enough to take down virtually anyone you'll run across in life. I've got belts in all sorts of martial arts and I can tell you that you need to keep 10% of what you learn and disregard the other 90%. Majority of them are too rigid and structured to allow a person to adapt adequately in a live situation. You take what you can use....what you are comfortable with using....and you form your own particular set of skills.

This was the premise behind Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do. Strip away all the unnecessary crap and you have a pure fighting form tailored for your personal skills.

Back to your question though.....I highly recommend Krav Maga. Very devastating if performed deliberately and with intent.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I spent six or seven years cross training in Jeet Kune Do concepts, Kali, and Muay Thai. I really enjoyed it, and did it on the grounds of personal defense/fitness. My lineage of instructors was Dan Inosanto > Steven Fristoe > me. I felt like I was getting the "real deal", and not some bogus Youtube JKD crap.

The thing I enjoyed the most is there were no belts, no "tournaments" or anything superficial to mark your achievements. I trained for 4 years, and was told one night I would test for assistant instructor. That test took 2 hours, and was a hell of a challenge!

These days, my old school/instructor has moved on and there's not much else in the area that intrigues me. I have a practice/workout area at home, so the heavy bag still offers me some stress relief when golf balls just won't cut it! :)

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Meh I like the school here in Houston the student to the man that created krav maga Eyal Yanilov held a 2 day course which the instructor completed and took his instructor course which only 3 completed and he was 1.

Sure, but I posted that up for SOS (sorry, I don't know your name), as he said that he hadn't found anything locally that had intrigued him since his old school/instructor had moved on and Mid West Krav Maga has a location in Memphis. Therefore, I thought the he might be interested in checking them out.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sure, but I posted that up for SOS (sorry, I don't know your name), as he said that he hadn't found anything locally that had intrigued him since his old school/instructor had moved on and Mid West Krav Maga has a location in Memphis. Therefore, I thought the he might be interested in checking them out.

And thanks for posting that up! I'm Alan, btw.

And I've been to that school, along with quite a few others. I'm not sure how to express it in text, but there's something about that Krav Maga school that I wasn't too hip on. It just didn't feel like my type of place. I am respectful of the style, however.

The old JKD school was a blast! As a younger man, it was a great thing for me to find. I got into it like many others, just wanting to learn to kick a little ass, but ended up getting wayyyy into it! It was a small school, totally non-commercial, just a rag-tag looking group of pretty dangerous guys. haha

There are a few descendents of my instructor in various schools around town today. None of them, only in my opinion, are even close to the skill level of Steve. I'd rather not train, than train sloppy.

With the onset of UFC in the mid/early 90's, and then having it explode into the mainstream, quite a few schools around here switched to training for organized fighting. My own experience has been based on fighting on the street, so there's a big disconnect in philosophies, I guess...

If there's a good JKD school around, look into it. Inosanto's work with the art since Bruce Lee's death has been amazing! It is the father of mixed martial ats, and you can be exposed to sooooo many techniques from across the globe. The best part, you only keep what work for YOU! If it doesn't, then discard it. The real trick is finding good instruction, so many schools out there are teaching watered-down stuff...

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
And thanks for posting that up! I'm Alan, btw.

And I've been to that school, along with quite a few others. I'm not sure how to express it in text, but there's something about that Krav Maga school that I wasn't too hip on. It just didn't feel like my type of place. I am respectful of the style, however.

The old JKD school was a blast! As a younger man, it was a great thing for me to find. I got into it like many others, just wanting to learn to kick a little ass, but ended up getting wayyyy into it! It was a small school, totally non-commercial, just a rag-tag looking group of pretty dangerous guys. haha

There are a few descendents of my instructor in various schools around town today. None of them, only in my opinion, are even close to the skill level of Steve. I'd rather not train, than train sloppy.

With the onset of UFC in the mid/early 90's, and then having it explode into the mainstream, quite a few schools around here switched to training for organized fighting. My own experience has been based on fighting on the street, so there's a big disconnect in philosophies, I guess...

If there's a good JKD school around, look into it. Inosanto's work with the art since Bruce Lee's death has been amazing! It is the father of mixed martial ats, and you can be exposed to sooooo many techniques from across the globe. The best part, you only keep what work for YOU! If it doesn't, then discard it. The real trick is finding good instruction, so many schools out there are teaching watered-down stuff...

Well krav maga is almost a tiny mixture of few of the I guess its not a big attention getter bc its not considered a sport. But to each his own I guess.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score

O I C.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well krav maga is almost a tiny mixture of few of the I guess its not a big attention getter bc its not considered a sport. But to each his own I guess.

No man, I agree with you. I've known about Krav Maga for over 15 years, and am completely sold on its effectiveness. The school in my area simply doesn't appeal to my personal tastes.

Run somebody through a 90 minute class and then ask them if they think it's a sport! :roflmao:

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
No man, I agree with you. I've known about Krav Maga for over 15 years, and am completely sold on its effectiveness. The school in my area simply doesn't appeal to my personal tastes.

Run somebody through a 90 minute class and then ask them if they think it's a sport! :roflmao:

Oh ok I see now, my bad if i missconstrude your words. Yea I can wait to start but when I do watch out bad guys.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dude that is awesome that you actually learned from dan inosanto.

When it comes down to it, Kali was my favorite part of my training. It is a freaking deadly art! If there was a good Kali/Arnis/Escrima school here, I'd train in that 100%. But, no dice...

I went to about a half dozen weekend-type seminars over the years I trained, and those were the times I was able to train with Guru Dan in person. It was a great priveledge. However, my main instructor was a direct student of his, so the "source" was always pretty near to me.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Sampled quite a few of them. Krav Maga is more than enough to take down virtually anyone you'll run across in life. I've got belts in all sorts of martial arts and I can tell you that you need to keep 10% of what you learn and disregard the other 90%. Majority of them are too rigid and structured to allow a person to adapt adequately in a live situation. You take what you can use....what you are comfortable with using....and you form your own particular set of skills.

This was the premise behind Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do. Strip away all the unnecessary crap and you have a pure fighting form tailored for your personal skills.

Back to your question though.....I highly recommend Krav Maga. Very devastating if performed deliberately and with intent.

hes right , one of our close family friends , joe hayes , was on tema USA with bruce . Actually he married bruce's gf lol . but he was telling me the same thing !

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back