New COPS.... expensive vs cheapies

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Setting gears hasn't changed, the 8.8 rear has been around for ever. Use good fluid, if you decide to do gears and want to use Amsoil let me know.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That hp and torque increase is much more likely due to a more aggressive PCM calibration, just like with the 11/12 vs. the 13/14 GT.

They did change it a little but the calibration had to change as well.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Ive read nothing but good about brenspeed.... who do you suggest so i can do some research?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are all the mods you have so far, whats your budget and what fuel can you get? Is this a DD or track car?

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Brenspeed tune on my 3V. Massive improvement over stock. That being said, Mustang tuning is now catching up to the import world; meaning that your tuner (a good one) will send send you a base "map". You then load that into your PCM, datalog whatever the tuner wants you to, and then they send you a tune more specific to your individual car.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
What are all the mods you have so far, whats your budget and what fuel can you get? Is this a DD or track car?
Just got the car. Its stock except for roush cai and muffler delete from previous owner.

Its going to be my nice weather dd. I have a e350 or 07 vic ill drive in winter.
Wont be driving the piss out of it but will get on it once in a while.

I dont have a huge amount of money to dump in it , $500-1000 a month dissposable ...... i got the handheld tuner money and just debating wether to get it now or piece together my exhaust/headers over next couple months.

My ultimate goal is just a conservative daily driver getting close to 400hp at the crank. Plan to keep it a while so will treat undercarriage and store in the winter.
I want a safe conservative tune on 91 pump gas.

Not sure if the roush cai is good or if there is others that would perform better with tune but my plan was to change trans filter/fluid (debating wether to order servo oring bore fix or solenoid pack or wait to look at pan fluid condition first since i just noticed shift flare in 3rd when cruising)
After tran fluid/filter, was going to get a sct x4 from brenspeed with tune.
Then piece together headers/exhaust over next couple months.
Then get rear end gears swapped and install exhaust and update tune.

Thats pretty much it , after that was slowly going to piece together a low boost SC kit but that could be a year out.

I would already have the handheld and headers but noticed the shift flare so all noid about my transmission now and ordered filter, fill adapter, suction gun, and $100 of trans fluid.... even thinking about the dipstick pan but they dont have the extra capacity pan with filltube so not wanting to spend $250 on basically stock pan with tube. This damn 5r55s is holding me up from getting what I want done.

What kind of gains can i expect from just cai, headers, offroad h, and a brenspeed 91oc tune?

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
My ultimate goal is just a conservative daily driver getting close to 400hp at the crank.

Thats pretty much it , after that was slowly going to piece together a low boost SC kit but that could be a year out.
I would focus on maintenance stuff for now and save towards that supercharger. Even with low boost you will have power to spare and you will get more for your money. You can do the full bolt-on and cam thing for $3k and barely make 400 crank, or spend $4500 ish on a complete DOB kit and a tune and have all the power you will need for a DD. With boost you won't need any silly bolt-ons and you will be capable of making rod snapping power & torque.

I had a Brenspeed tune on my 3V. Massive improvement over stock. That being said, Mustang tuning is now catching up to the import world; meaning that your tuner (a good one) will send send you a base "map". You then load that into your PCM, datalog whatever the tuner wants you to, and then they send you a tune more specific to your individual car.

The whole point of data-logging after getting a base map is to test part throttle and WOT behavior on the street since dynos can only simulate load and wind resistance to a certain degree. Has nothing to do with import versus Mustang tuning. The thing I've noticed between the two worlds is Mustangs typically run on locked files (CEF) that requires a tuner's attention to adjust for every single item and we have to buy the SCT Pro Racer Software or something like it to get into the PCM. Whereas open source tunes are common among imports and even GM cars. So the end user can buy the tuner and software, download a base map from the internet, and adjust whatever is needed without having to buy anything else.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
So the end user can buy the tuner and software, download a base map from the internet, and adjust whatever is needed without having to buy anything else.

No. Just do some research. Have you ever tuned an import?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a 1000 per month or even 500 just to spend on options for the car, Then I suggest saving it up and doing as said and go forced induction. Plenty of options out there who offer 6-12 months interest free financing that can be easily paid off in a year at a 500-1000 per month budget just for modifications,. if I read your post correctly. My fist SC setup I saved up and put down 2500, floated the other 4000 on a 6 month interest free credit line and paid the sucker off within the 6 month grace period. There are ways without doing it on credit and paying for it 699 times because of high interest.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
How bad is it to change gears on these?
Last time (only time) i did gears was probably 15 years ago on a 67 impala 12 bolt rear end. The only part that worried me was setting the mesh or backlash of the gears with shims and that chalk stuff.
I had a gearhead friends dad help me back then with setting the backlash.

I was young then and the internet wasnt as expansive then, i have more patience now but dont want to screw it up either so just wondered if its a possible diy job or something I should take it to the dealer for? I dont think id trust any mom and pop garage over what I could do so wondered how much a dealer would charge.

If you can do gears on a 67 impala you can do gears on an 8.8. There are instructional guides all over the internet.

That hp and torque increase is much more likely due to a more aggressive PCM calibration, just like with the 11/12 vs. the 13/14 GT.

A lot of people believe intakes give these motors like 38hp. Any intake that uses a larger MAF section will need a recalibration. No company out there wants to be the company who only does the calibration for the MAF values and leaves the rest just to prove a point for the more experienced types who have already purchased the products. The money is in being the one with the "most power".

Modern v8s easily leave 30hp on the table if not more in the tune. The stock tune has meet emissions, survive a 300k mile life of carbon buildup, and in general, survive all the stupid stuff customers do.

And to go a little bit backwards on something I said, if you take the advice above and go boost, don't do 4:30s. I would just leave the gears alone until you get your boost setup purchased, on the car, and sorted out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back