anyone know a lot about Xbox 360

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I believe my 360 is starting to shit out on me and its well out of warranty. started humming extremely loud the other day and gave me two red rings.

anyways, thinking that if it does shit out im jsut going to replace it with a new one, but is there anyway i can transfer whats on my harddrive to a new xbox. I know if i get an older one i can just slap the hard drive on it, but if i get one of the "new ones"

G.T

Reaction score
Well for starters your account info, achievements, etc are all linked to your live account, so once you recover that on the new console all these will return.
however for downloaded content (which you can redownload for free, since the account info is carried over) and save games: your only option is to either backup everything on a USB drive, then restoring that over to the new xbox.. or the easier method is using a Data transfer cable

more info on the cable: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Transfer

edit: the cable will set you back $19

G.T

Reaction score
well if cost is an issue, i'd start with a USB memory stick then.
i reckon an 8GB stick should do fine, over multiple trips :)

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
excellent knowing i can transfer that stuff.

Now does it sound like the console is about to die hahaha

G.T

Reaction score
yeah.. i think one of your fans is busted.. and when the CPU heats up, you get the flashing lights.
if it happens more often, the thermal grease between the CPU and the heat sink will burn out ruining the positive contact between the CPU and the heatsink which will in time cause the notorious red ring of death

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
yeah.. i think one of your fans is busted.. and when the CPU heats up, you get the flashing lights.
if it happens more often, the thermal grease between the CPU and the heat sink will burn out ruining the positive contact between the CPU and the heatsink which will in time cause the notorious red ring of death

Figures. It fires up sounds normal then starts to get really loud.

If it does die.... Willing to send it to me? =D

possibly

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
its in an open space. left it off for a few days and its still hums super loud and gives me the red rings

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
its in an open space. left it off for a few days and its still hums super loud and gives me the red rings

if its still doing it, chances are its already gone. What happens is the compound designed to transfer the heat to the heat sync melts away, then the heat sync can't do its job so the temp goes up and the fans go into overdrive, which causes the hum, and the overheating causes the red ring of death. You may still be able to get it fixed, but it might cost some money and you will be without it for a while. I would take it to a gamestop or someplace and ask them about it.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Its extremely easy to fix. For one eliminating the poorly design X clamp will make the heatsink hold much better to the CPU. You just have to get some nice nuts and bolts from ace. Then replace the ceramic thermal compound with arctic silver. It instantly runs cooler and will not overheat.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Its extremely easy to fix. For one eliminating the poorly design X clamp will make the heatsink hold much better to the CPU. You just have to get some nice nuts and bolts from ace. Then replace the ceramic thermal compound with arctic silver. It instantly runs cooler and will not overheat.

just beware, if you decide to do it yourself and you find out you can't, microsoft will not touch it if it has been opened up.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
just beware, if you decide to do it yourself and you find out you can't, microsoft will not touch it if it has been opened up.

That is true. But its a pretty well documented thing.
I have a buddy who buys broken 360s on CL for 40-50 bucks each, fixes them for a few bucks, and sells them (he lets people know theyve been repaired of course)
Both of his xboxes started their lives as being broken and theyve both worked flawlessly ever since.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back