Anyone try the Baer EradiSpeed plus two 14" rotor upgrade kit?

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got them, but I also got the 6 piston front calipers. I've got the Saleen 20's, so I can't speak about an 18" fitment. I will say these suckers STOP! You can see them fairly well in this photo.

DSC00433.jpg

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I've got them, but I also got the 6 piston front calipers. I've got the Saleen 20's, so I can't speak about an 18" fitment. I will say these suckers STOP! You can see them fairly well in this photo.

The ones I'm asking about aren't the 6 piston models. I was asking about the models that use the stock calipers and larger rotors. I really can't justify spending about $3K on a pair of front brakes, but I'm sure they work well.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I'd put a lot of money on them fitting just fine in 18's. The fixed 4+ piston calipers that cause problems as they're much higher profile..and it's not so much the diameter of the wheel as the spoke design.

I fount a fitment template on Baer's web site. I'll have to take off the wheel and try it out.

Lightning

Too lazy for smarmy
Reaction score
I just tried it myself this morning.

According to the template, my 18" x 8.5" Bullitt wheel is not even close. A solid 1/4"+ of interference throughout the whole inside diametre of the wheel.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The problem with all of these aftermarket systems is the replacement rotors are usually expensive as shit and the company could go out of business at any time leaving you SOL. I guess it is ok if you dont track your car, dont intend to keep it very long, dont do much mileage, or if they are using an off the shelf rotor.

The GT500 setup is nice since the parts are straight from your Ford dealer. Replacement rotors were about $75 each when I bought mine, and were genuine Brembo. Only downside, fitment is still an issue with wheels but not impossible to get around. And the factory gt500 rotors are heavy. But they stop great!

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
The GT500 setup is nice since the parts are straight from your Ford dealer. Replacement rotors were about $75 each when I bought mine, and were genuine Brembo. Only downside, fitment is still an issue with wheels but not impossible to get around. And the factory gt500 rotors are heavy. But they stop great!

The big advantage with the aftermarket big brake kits is they offer a little more clearance for wheels; something like 1/2-3/4".

Also, if you're serious about saving weight, there are 2-piece rotors available for GT500's for about $500 each. That's not cheap, but should the company go under (bit of a pun since IIRC the company is Australian) or your budget takes a dump near replacement time, you can fall back on OEM replacement rotors. Also another advantage of the GT500 brakes is the caliper is based on the Brembo F50 design which is widely used in OEM applications; Subaru, Acura, Mitsubishi and even older Ferraris have used variations of this caliper. This means the pads are much more available should you be stuck and need a set.

Last edited:

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
True...the stoptech kit uses a caliper which will take an F50 pad which is nice. They use a different center section for their rotor which brings the rotor a bit more inboard and helps the caliper face clearance by about 0.4". AKA... you still need a wheel spacer for 18x8" wheels albeit thinner.

The calipers will swap out for Brembos in the event stoptech goes away at some point. The rotors are I believe brembo knock offs. The center section of the rotor (hat) and the caliper mounting bracket are both one offs from Stoptech.

For the GT500 setup, the lightweight rotors are an attractive option but expensive like said above. A pair, complete, is over 1K dollars from Brembo. The replacement outer rotors that bolt onto the AL hat are like 300 a piece.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
So, what was the result?

Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

I finally got around to trying the Eratispeed+2 template on my stock 18" fanblade wheels. They would fit fine except for one problem. The wheel weights mounted on the inside of the wheel would probably rub against the top of the caliper.

It looks like the GT500 brakes would require about a 1/2" spacer with the stock fan blade wheels.

I know Baer use to make other brake upgrades for the S197 Mustang, but they don't seem to list them currently on their site. The GT and GT plus systems use to be listed for the S197, but I no longer see them in their current application guide.

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
I have the GT500 brakes and yes the Rotors are HEAVY!!! Holy crap kinda heavy.... How much are just the 2 piece rotor?? The Baer website SUCKS ass... I saw one listing for $630 with brackets..and no listing for a GT500 are those rotors the same? how much lighter than stock are they??

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have the GT500 brakes and yes the Rotors are HEAVY!!! Holy crap kinda heavy.... How much are just the 2 piece rotor?? The Baer website SUCKS ass... I saw one listing for $630 with brackets..and no listing for a GT500 are those rotors the same? how much lighter than stock are they??

There about 5-6 lbs lighter and the two piece rotors are 500.00 from Stop tech Each and Bare has some for 600.00 each !

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
I'm talking about the one that uses the stock front calipers, 14" rotors and brackets to move the stock calipers further out to fit the larger rotors.
http://www.baer.com/products/rotors/eradispeed-plus-two.php

How do they compare to the $1500 big brake kits? Do they fit stock 18" wheels without problems?

Hi Chris,

The Eradispeed Plus 2 front and rear brake kits re-use the stock calipers mounted on custom brackets moving the calipers out allowing use of new 14" 2-piece rotors. These kits are cheap at $650-$700 but have limitations you need to know about. These kits seem to work just fine but need a bit more pedal pressure than stock brakes. The real advantage to using the Eradispeed Plus 2 kit up front is the lighter weight but very heavy duty 2-piece rotors with much improved rotor cooling using curved internal vanes to extract cooling air out from the rotor hats especially when used with a spindle mounted brake ducts and a break duct run up to the lower valance of the car. Additionally this kit allows the use of a wider range of 18" wheels due to the very flat outside caliper side wheel clearances. But to really take advantage of these brakes you will want to use a new pad compound with a higher friction coefficent and MOT. AFAIK there is no reason other than appearance to use the 14" kit on the rear of the S197 chassis. Hang on to your money here and buy better dampers!

How do they compare? O.K. for the money but these are not really a track oriented brake setup, more of a high performance setup that can be used on the street and occassional short duration track event. I would say the next step up from the $650-$700 Baer Eradispeed Plus 2 brake kit to the $1,000-$1,100 Baer GT Plus BBK is an excellent choice for a street driven car but you have to be very careful to choose the right pads for your application as all of these rotors are very easy to damage if you cook your street pads and get excessive pad transfer which causes vibration, hot spots and noise. Replacement rotor rings while very reasonably priced still not cheap at $200 per side and the NAS rotor ring mounting hardware is reuseable. This kit uses a 2-piston PBR caliper designed around Corvette C5/C6 brake pads so finding a good pad compound is fairly easy if you lean towards the performance end of the brake pad temperature spectrum.

AFAIK the FRPP, Brembo, Steeda and Stoptech 4-pot calipers are all based on the same basic caliper design which is very good but the 1-piece rotors are much heavier than the 2-piece versions from StopTech, Steeda and Brembo. The 2-piece rotors will run about $1,000 a pair for complete rotor assemblies and $300+ per rotor ring and $100 for replacement rotor mounting hardware. The StopTech/Steeda ST40 type caliper pad shape is a sort common older Porsche pad but you have to be careful about pad thickness and backing plate dimensions as they seem to vary unless using the correct ST40 FMSI number. So to me the whole the FRPP, Brembo, StopTech, Steeda BBK is sort of an expensive proposition all around not only to buy but also to maintain and they require rather deeply curved wheel spokes even on 18" wheels as wittnessed by the GT500's wheels.

Does this help answer your questions?

Cheers!

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
There about 5-6 lbs lighter and the two piece rotors are 500.00 from Stop tech Each and Bare has some for 600.00 each !

A 2-piece 14" rotor will be about 3lbs. lighter than the stock 12.4" rotors. StopTech/Steeda 2-piece rotors are $1,000 a pair or $600 for the rings only plus $100 for the mounting hardware. Baer 14" rotor rings are about $200 each for drilled, sloted and zinc washed, a bit cheaper for plain rotors. I just got a new set last week direct from Baer in AZ.

HTH!

Last edited:

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
I finally got around to trying the Eratispeed+2 template on my stock 18" fanblade wheels. They would fit fine except for one problem. The wheel weights mounted on the inside of the wheel would probably rub against the top of the caliper.

It looks like the GT500 brakes would require about a 1/2" spacer with the stock fan blade wheels.

I know Baer use to make other brake upgrades for the S197 Mustang, but they don't seem to list them currently on their site. The GT and GT plus systems use to be listed for the S197, but I no longer see them in their current application guide.

Chris,

Move the wheel weights. Yup about 1/2" will just barely get you enough room to use GT500 calipers. You have to go to the Baer Products page to find the GT and GT Plus kits. Baer has a new 4-piston caliper coming out that is designed specifically for 13" rotors. S197 Mustang kits should be out about now, call Baer and ask!

Cheers!

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
A 2-piece 14" rotor will be about 3lbs. lighter than the stock 12.6" rotors. StopTech/Steeda 2-piece rotors are $1,000 a pair or $600 for the rings only plus $100 for the mounting hardware. Baer 14" rotor rings are about $200 each for drilled, sloted and zinc washed, a bit cheaper for plain rotors. I just got a new set last week direct from Baer in AZ.

HTH!

I was thinking about the gt500 set up not the stock system on the gt !

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back