Atf 5r55 Ready

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah....mine was a real pile of shit. Damn thing had over 20K miles and 250 runs with the turbos and had ZERO FUCKING ISSUES when P/A took it apart last week.

JDM had two 4100# behemoths solidly in the 9.60's at over 140 mph for over 100 runs with no problems on their 5R55S transmissions.

I had talked with Jason at ATF Factory last year (about this time of the year) and he stated they didn't want to release something they'd be ashamed of so they were redesigning everything in billet. Should be interesting. P/A has done their new SFI legal bellhousing on my transmission so we'll see how the "transmission wars" play out this season.

I agree for the most part, but the billet pieces they are putting in there better include an input shaft because when you throw some torque at the 5r55, that seems to be an issue, even with the guys who tried to rebuild them with hardened shafts. I also would be concerned about any two-peice designed (like the PA) bell-housing. Personally, I found the JW to be the hands down best bell housing for the S197.

The biggest thing for me is the price tag, if I'm honest. For 4 grand, I just can't see the justification to not spend a lot less money on something stronger - but that's me.

I also do not believe for one second that Jim Sr. ran an entire season on a single 5r55, but again, that's me.

Jason, what pistons are you ending up with? I think CP's are proven in the big bore. Are you going to use Oliver rods?

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have an aluminum big bore block and iron big bore block. I have a stroker crank and billet rods I have not ordered the pistons yet.

Just build up the aluminum big bore block, lighter engine and still make big power!

jason0156

Kenne Bell Time
Reaction score
I got a set of Oliver rods about 2 months ago from some one who owed me some money. I am going to start the new engine build in october. I want to build up some cash and more parts. Chevykiller if this ATF trans breaks i have already made arangments with Mike for a th400.

Also ATF did Put a Billet shaft in it. They only used the best of the best. I have been working with Jason at ATF to get this trans built Since October 2008.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a set of Oliver rods about 2 months ago from some one who owed me some money. I am going to start the new engine build in october. I want to build up some cash and more parts. Chevykiller if this ATF trans breaks i have already made arangments with Mike for a th400.

Also ATF did Put a Billet shaft in it. They only used the best of the best. I have been working with Jason at ATF to get this trans built Since October 2008.

If they put a billet shaft in there, then I'm hopeful for you and don't see why it won't take the abuse. The million dollar question for me is if you (or anyone) needed a tranny to hold up to big power levels, why wouldn't you also want a brake for that set-up? I think when dollars come to donuts, a lot of guys went to 4r70's and TH400's, and glides also for the brake in addition to strength over the 5r55. Now if someone could make a valve body kit for the 5r55 that could adapt to a brake... now we are talking...lol

What are those rods set-up for? Are they set up for a standard stroke or are you going for more cubes?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Yup. Jim wanted to see for himself what they would take. The Platinum car had 132 runs on it when it finally lost second gear. That was with a full season on the car running right at 10.00 in index racing. Then over 50 runs flat out below ten flat.

Good, thanks for the info.

Level Ten told me that the 5R55S needs a quality tune by someone who really understands an auto trans. When I had a JDM tune on my car it ran great and the stock trans held up fine. I went to anothner tuner and lost two transmissions in less than a year. I went back to JDM and as long as I have the 5R55S that is the only tune I will run. All I can say about JDM is they have figured out something in the tune with these transmissions and I have ran my best times with their tunes.

Yes, if you go overboard you'll kill it in no time.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

No kidding it has been since 2008 about time you got that car back on the road!

jason0156

Kenne Bell Time
Reaction score
The transmission core was sent to them in 2008. The car was taken apart for a little over a year now. All is great now. Blow By racing will be done on friday and I will pick the car up.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
What is PA rating there trans to?
Hell if I know. This one is actually the first one that will see any real serious power and racing duty.

I agree for the most part, but the billet pieces they are putting in there better include an input shaft because when you throw some torque at the 5r55, that seems to be an issue, even with the guys who tried to rebuild them with hardened shafts. I also would be concerned about any two-peice designed (like the PA) bell-housing. Personally, I found the JW to be the hands down best bell housing for the S197.
Input shaft is a must-have deal. Even mine showed signs of starting to twist. My bell is a one-piece design.

ChevyKiller said:
The biggest thing for me is the price tag, if I'm honest. For 4 grand, I just can't see the justification to not spend a lot less money on something stronger - but that's me.
Class rules, Mark. Plus, it is a marketing deal for P/A and myself. In reality....I like the idea of four forward gears and a lockup converter. This IS a modular engine, after all. The more gears.....the better. Anybody that puts a glide behind a modmotor is asking to get their ass handed to them.

ChevyKiller said:
I also do not believe for one second that Jim Sr. ran an entire season on a single 5r55, but again, that's me.
Ask him yourself. I've also never had mine out until now. Only sign that they saw was the input shaft starting to twist.

The million dollar question for me is if you (or anyone) needed a tranny to hold up to big power levels, why wouldn't you also want a brake for that set-up?
Class rules for one. The P/A brake is still in testing. As soon as it is available for "in-car testing" I'll have it. I tested the first transbrake for the 4R70W from P/A back in 2001 with my black '98 Mustang in FFW ModMotor class. When they say it's ready to test I'll be doing the testing. Here's another thing to think about......Ford has already gone to a six speed automatic. Is there really a market for a transbrake in the 5R55S transmission now?

As Pumpkinfish stated.....the tune is the real key to making one live. Doug at BamaChips did mine at the very first race where we showed up with the turbos. No problems since. Period.

jason0156

Kenne Bell Time
Reaction score
I really like that the super stang class requies the stock transmission. It it was not for that i really think no one would try to make the 5r55 live under any power.

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
If they put a billet shaft in there, then I'm hopeful for you and don't see why it won't take the abuse. The million dollar question for me is if you (or anyone) needed a tranny to hold up to big power levels, why wouldn't you also want a brake for that set-up? I think when dollars come to donuts, a lot of guys went to 4r70's and TH400's, and glides also for the brake in addition to strength over the 5r55. Now if someone could make a valve body kit for the 5r55 that could adapt to a brake... now we are talking...lol

What are those rods set-up for? Are they set up for a standard stroke or are you going for more cubes?

I have talked to Jason countless times about this ,when we were figuring out what to do for my set up, it seems the biggest problem with the 5r55s is the internal components specifically the input shaft is too thin in diameter . By changing everything to billet that they can, obviously makes the tranny stronger, but the key is the input shaft. They were going to try different materials because of the strength. It also needs to be a two piece b/c of the lock up feature.
I remember him saying that the pieces inside are small, so they need to be alot stronger material .

Pete

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hell if I know. This one is actually the first one that will see any real serious power and racing duty.

I''ll be watching with interest as well

Input shaft is a must-have deal. Even mine showed signs of starting to twist. My bell is a one-piece design.

From PA? Cool, I didn't think they had a one-piece option for the modulars

Class rules, Mark. Plus, it is a marketing deal for P/A and myself. In reality....I like the idea of four forward gears and a lockup converter. This IS a modular engine, after all. The more gears.....the better. Anybody that puts a glide behind a modmotor is asking to get their ass handed to them.

You'll get no argument from me there and I didn't consider class rules which is most important.

Ask him yourself. I've also never had mine out until now. Only sign that they saw was the input shaft starting to twist.

And you weren't the launching like they were with a tall ass gear either. Yeah, Like Sr. has never told a lie before?...:LMAO:

Class rules for one. The P/A brake is still in testing. As soon as it is available for "in-car testing" I'll have it. I tested the first transbrake for the 4R70W from P/A back in 2001 with my black '98 Mustang in FFW ModMotor class. When they say it's ready to test I'll be doing the testing. Here's another thing to think about......Ford has already gone to a six speed automatic. Is there really a market for a transbrake in the 5R55S transmission now?

Very good point about the new trans, hope they still drop one on your door to test someday. A truly well built 5r55 with a brake would be bad ass on our cars for sure.

As Pumpkinfish stated.....the tune is the real key to making one live. Doug at BamaChips did mine at the very first race where we showed up with the turbos. No problems since. Period.

Tuning seems to be the key to a lot of stuff...:idea:

Last edited:

jason0156

Kenne Bell Time
Reaction score
Not kidding! Gt 500 pump that was taken apart and checked for quality. Blow By Racing is going to take it apart after the first of the month.
Blow by did not assemble motor so its not there fault. Just a bad Oil pump. I could hear the gear in the pump grinding when i tried to turn it over to check out the problem.
I have to thank Blow By Racing for coming to pick the car up 100 Miles away from the shop.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like if it isn't one thing it is always another. That's terrible, hope you get up and running again soon.

jason0156

Kenne Bell Time
Reaction score
Two words:

Billet Gears

When i started building the motor almost 2 years ago, this was not even a thought or an option. But it will be in there this time around for sure. There are some otherthings that will probable come out about the engine later. I am exspecting the worse.

Back