Auto Trans advice

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Going to buy a stall converter , Circle D single disk. Was told to change the input shaft also. Where do I buy a hardened input shaft for a 5r55 trans? Also is it easy to change the shaft while doing the converter? Any other advice?info?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Going to buy a stall converter , Circle D single disk. Was told to change the input shaft also. Where do I buy a hardened input shaft for a 5r55 trans? Also is it easy to change the shaft while doing the converter? Any other advice?info?

Circle D or PI and your best bet is to call and order the input shaft from TCI...I highly recommend upgrading the 3rd gear/OD servo's while you are in there.

You will need new tranny fluid as well; if you don't buy/install a PA deep pan with a dipstick while you are doing this you will have fun getting the new fluid in!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As part of my build in an effort to get the 5R55S to live a little longer the following mods were done:

TCI Auto Hi Performance Transmission Servo Kit, 3rd Gear Servo Kit, 576005
TCI Auto Hi Performance Transmission Servo Kits, 4th Gear Servo Kit, 576006

Circle D Specialties 5R55 Multi Disk 245mm 3000 Stall

Side by side, OEM on the right

5R55 Automatic Transmission Filter, FT-142

Performance Automatic Hardened Input Shaft part number PA27406

B & M Trans Cooling System part number 70297

Canton Auto Transmission Expansion Tank part number 45-000

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
So how much black magic does it take to install those new upgraded servos?

walker2t

forum member
Reaction score
yes inquiring minds want to know! I have an auto trans myself...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is easier to do with the tranny out of the car but if you are good/lucky you can replace the servo's with the tranny out of the car but it will all be done by feel.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So how much black magic does it take to install those new upgraded servos?

Cost me $125 in labor to install the servos, input shaft, filter and correctly seat the converter. In my case, the shop that did it had 2 people to do the servos, one on both sides of the transmission.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This might go to Shit when I tell you this.

But ..........

Just my (Opinion) so take it for what it is worth.

If you have dealt with BRENSPEED get with them and have them order you a TCI Super Street Fighter Tranny.

They also can get you the Circle D Billet converter.

Don't forget the Trans Catch Can a (Must) !!!

Also the (Deep Trans Pan).

And Lastly ......

Have Brent White do his Tune for you so all that New Gear stays working.

The Tune is not a Variable ........

It is a {MUST} !!!

If you are interested in the following Post there are plenty of Pictures of what I speak of above.

This is the correct (Oil Catch Can) ........

2005- 2009 Automatic 5R55 Trans Catch Can Kit

http://www.teamjdm.com/automatic-5r55-trans-catch-can-kit/

Good-Luck,
Terry

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I kind of agree, Terry. Compared to the price of local rebuilds for me, the TCI 'Street Fighter' entire trans assembly, plus a few upgrades, was a better deal. A bunch of guys advised me to go with a 4R70W, but I really wanted to keep the 5R55S.

I was looking at $3000, not including the converter, for local shops to give me a 'performance' rebuild. Knowing that the TCI trans stands up to your car, I figured it'd do me well, too.

So, instead of having a local shop rebuild mine, I:

- Got a great deal from a forum member on a TCI hardened input shaft, TCI billet 3rd and 4th servos, and PA deep pan.
- Bought a 3200 RPM triple disk converter from Precision Industries
- Bought the 'Street Fighter' 5R55S for a decent price from Summit - they price matched Livernois and Brenspeed. The 'Street Fighter' is supposed to be the same thing as the 'Super Street Fighter', minus the input shaft and servos, which I already scored.

I also bought a 1-piece Steeda aluminum driveshaft to throw on the car while it's all apart.

Stuff should start showing up this week - we'll see how it does after install, but I'm expecting good results.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I kind of agree, Terry. Compared to the price of local rebuilds for me, the TCI 'Street Fighter' entire trans assembly, plus a few upgrades, was a better deal. A bunch of guys advised me to go with a 4R70W, but I really wanted to keep the 5R55S.

I was looking at $3000, not including the converter, for local shops to give me a 'performance' rebuild. Knowing that the TCI trans stands up to your car, I figured it'd do me well, too.

So, instead of having a local shop rebuild mine, I:

- Got a great deal from a forum member on a TCI hardened input shaft, TCI billet 3rd and 4th servos, and PA deep pan.
- Bought a 3200 RPM triple disk converter from Precision Industries
- Bought the 'Street Fighter' 5R55S for a decent price from Summit - they price matched Livernois and Brenspeed. The 'Street Fighter' is supposed to be the same thing as the 'Super Street Fighter', minus the input shaft and servos, which I already scored.

I also bought a 1-piece Steeda aluminum driveshaft to throw on the car while it's all apart.

Stuff should start showing up this week - we'll see how it does after install, but I'm expecting good results.

Good-Luck and hope all goes well for you. :thumb2:

Terry

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Ok. I do not know much about working on a transmission. So I have a few questions I could really use help with. I ordered a Circle D multi disc converter yesterday. I have a very good mech lined up to do the install. I was only going to do the converter so when I talked to him and got a qoute I didnt ask about doing anything else.
OK questions....So if he is doing the converter install what else can I have done that does not require a all out rebuild? I am thinking of having the two servo's , pan and expansion tank done at this time as "I Think" those things would be easy enough to do if you need to drop the trans to install the converter??? What about the input shaft? I have no idea what is involed in installing a new hardened shaft? Is the shaft replacement something only done during a rebuild?
I can call my guy but I thought I would ask you guys about this. I do not have $2000 for a rebuild at this time. I want to get the converter in now (as soon as it arrives) so I can get some runs in before fall and thought I would have any other things done that could be done resonably easy at the time the converter is being installed.
Thanks.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
With the converter off the input shaft should pull right out.

The servos and deep pan probably make sense to do now while the trans it out as well.

I'd do it yourself, too. :D
It's a little time consuming but isn't that hard, and you don't have to deal with relaying information between a car forum and a mechanic.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
With the converter off the input shaft should pull right out.

The servos and deep pan probably make sense to do now while the trans it out as well.

I'd do it yourself, too. :D
It's a little time consuming but isn't that hard, and you don't have to deal with relaying information between a car forum and a mechanic.

I really can not do this myself. My mech is excellent and I cant beat his work and price. He is usally very busy so I hate to keep calling him with questions.
I know there is alot of very knowledgeable people right on this site that I can always get my questions answered and excellent advice (sometimes you have to sift through the replies) but overall . Anyways instead of keep calling him and pulling him from under a car I can post here and guys can reply when they have time.
So I ask here, get a good idea of what I want done and than I call him for a qoute and ask a few questions than.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks...Just trying to see what all can be done easily enough , than I can price the parts to see what I can even affored. Before I start calling to get labor qoutes. What would be the most important upgrade (besdes the convertor since that is on its way)? I am thinking the input shaft? Where is the best place to buy the trans parts?

Cool -good luck.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok. I do not know much about working on a transmission. So I have a few questions I could really use help with. I ordered a Circle D multi disc converter yesterday. I have a very good mech lined up to do the install. I was only going to do the converter so when I talked to him and got a qoute I didnt ask about doing anything else.
OK questions....So if he is doing the converter install what else can I have done that does not require a all out rebuild? I am thinking of having the two servo's , pan and expansion tank done at this time as "I Think" those things would be easy enough to do if you need to drop the trans to install the converter??? What about the input shaft? I have no idea what is involed in installing a new hardened shaft? Is the shaft replacement something only done during a rebuild?
I can call my guy but I thought I would ask you guys about this. I do not have $2000 for a rebuild at this time. I want to get the converter in now (as soon as it arrives) so I can get some runs in before fall and thought I would have any other things done that could be done resonably easy at the time the converter is being installed.
Thanks.

See post #11, cost me $125 once the transmission was out to do what you are talking about.

If you are adding a Performance Automatic deep pan and dipstick, you may want to consider tapping the pan for a transmission temperature gauge before the pan goes on.

Not the best picture, but it does show the temperature sensor tapped in the PA pan.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back