Auto trans........ big headache

matt texass

Reaction score
Well got my gears replaced and the whine is not coming form them. It's most def. coming from the trans. It sounds like a electric fuel pump. Gets worse with time and heat. Trans shifts fine its just really annoying. Anybody have any kind of problem like this.................. I'm really frustrated. I had minimal bolt ons on my car. Now all I have are gears and spydershaft and a tuner for the gears and adjusted for 93 octane. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do for me (not expecting much under warrenty). O and my car only has 16,000 miles on it

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
If it is the trans making the noise, and you only have 16K on the clock, AND assuming you're not out of warranty due to time, then the dealership should take care of the issue. If they don't want to offer warranty service, I would ask the service adviser exactly why they are denying warranty coverage. Under the Moss Act, they are obligated to honor the warranty unless they can prove that an aftermarket part you installed directly caused your trans issue. If, for example, you installed a bad driveshaft (not bloody likely with Spyder!) and the vibrations from a bent or out-of-balance shaft ripped the trans apart, you would not have coverage. If however, there is no problem with the driveshaft (no balance, no bend, tailshaft-to-output shaft angle isn't excessive, proper pinion angle, etc.), then you should have warranty coverage for a trans failure. In short, the dealer must demonstrate direct cause-and-effect from an aftermarket part.

Just based on your avatar, though, I would pull the bottle and nozzles out of the car completely before taking it in. The dealer could argue excess torque and/or shock-loading of the drivtrain to deny you coverage. Oh, and make sure you're on standard street tires, too. No drag radials or slicks. And take the helmet out of the car! Seriously, anything that smacks of "race car" needs to be gone before you ask for a $2500 transmission and the R&R labor for free...

Last edited:

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
I will bet they will deny service based on the driveshaft.
Ford could easily say that the drive shaft made by some dude in his basement named spyder caused the problem in the transmission.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will bet they will deny service based on the driveshaft.

Ford could easily say that the drive shaft made by some dude in his basement named spyder caused the problem in the transmission.

+1. Even though that is not what caused the problem.

However, remind them of the fix that Ford did to the Ranger trucks if they go that route!

That damn OEM driveshaft in mine was a royal piece of shit. The Spydershaft totally fixed my major drivetrain vibrations. Hell at about 20mph with the stock POS driveshaft, it felt as if I had badly warped rotors on the car when I would be poking along in traffic!

Mike

matt texass

Reaction score
ya my car is stock except for gears and d/s now. I'm about to head up there in a couple of minutes I was told to go to "this" dealership by one of our local vendors.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
If you're 100% certain it's the trans, you may want to consider swapping back to the stock shaft just for the warranty service... Royal PITA, but an hour on your back beats the hell out of a service bill in the mid-4-figure range...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well got my gears replaced and the whine is not coming form them. It's most def. coming from the trans. It sounds like a electric fuel pump. Gets worse with time and heat. Trans shifts fine its just really annoying. Anybody have any kind of problem like this.................. I'm really frustrated. I had minimal bolt ons on my car. Now all I have are gears and spydershaft and a tuner for the gears and adjusted for 93 octane. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do for me (not expecting much under warrenty). O and my car only has 16,000 miles on it

I have a spydershaft/4.10's in my auto, and it whines a bit. It's completely tolerable though. Now, at first I thought my whine was coming from the trans, but when I had it diagnosed it was in the rear, vibrating through the DS. Travis at Gearheads fixed my pinion angle and got everything centered nice and perfect for me and it's doing fine. Do you have any suspension mods?

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How, exactly, is pinion angle corrected, or adjusted?

matt texass

Reaction score
I'm lowered and inch with with bmr lca's and relo brackets. But the noise was there before the lowering and is def. coming from the gear shifter area and that area under the car. The car is at the dealership right now. Just waiting on a phone call.

matt texass

Reaction score
Well, they havent figured it out yet they got started late but they seem indifferent about the d/s and gears ...........but only time will tell

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, they havent figured it out yet they got started late but they seem indifferent about the d/s and gears ...........but only time will tell

Well, that sounds like a good sign. When mine went out they pointed at the rollbar and just shook thier heads "no".

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ya my car is stock except for gears and d/s now. I'm about to head up there in a couple of minutes I was told to go to "this" dealership by one of our local vendors.

Which dealership is this just in case some of us other DFWers need help!

Thx,

Mike

matt texass

Reaction score
pm me and I'll let you know. But I'm still not even sure that they are friendly yet.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, that sounds like a good sign. When mine went out they pointed at the rollbar and just shook thier heads "no".
Did you tell them that's ridiculous since you haven't "used" the roll bar yet? Until the car goes upside down its just there for looks... :samuri:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Did you tell them that's ridiculous since you haven't "used" the roll bar yet? Until the car goes upside down its just there for looks... :samuri:
Zackly... he should have just said "chicks dig the roll bar".

matt texass

Reaction score
hmmm my last talk with the dealership was an interesting one. They seem to think that the sound is coming from the motor. ( which scares the crap outa me) They said this morning that they are still scratching their heads and that they put in a email to the ford engineers to see if they can get an answer. ( which also scares the hell outa me). If its the motor (and they don't warranty it) I already have a plan of a 3 valve explorer motor ( iron block instead of aluminum and different intake manifold). Since I don't have the funding for a new motor right now. Right now its just a whole bunch of if's and we'll sees. I just want my car back.

Rash

Reaction score
What kind of whine is it - decel, accel, constant, mph range, etc.? I'm asking because I have a whine as well which was not improved with new gears.

Last edited:

matt texass

Reaction score
Its more noticable on decel, when it gets hotter you can kinda hear it at accel, on the freeway its a constant noise.

Rash

Reaction score
That's different than what I have, which is a flutter-type whine on decel around 55-40 mph. Definitelly not my tranny, since it stays the same if I turn off OD.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back