Axle Back Install Tips

NJ09GT

Reaction score
Just got a set of GT500KR axlebacks for my 09 GT. Didn't install them yet, will soon. Any tips/advice on the installation? I appreciate any and all advice - and for the record this is my first install of axlebacks. Thanks again in advance!

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is always nice to have someone around to tell you that the alignment is off and to re-adjust them one way or another, while you are under the car. You will need to remove (physically unbolt) the square hangers if you are not disconnecting the midpipes. It takes me around 20-30min on my back with no jack or jackstands. It is not a difficult job.

Last edited:

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It is always nice to have someone around to tell you that the alignment is off and to re-adjust them one way or another, while you are under the car. You will need to remove (physically unbolt) the square hangers if you are not disconnecting the midpipes. It takes me around 20-30min on my back with no jack or jackstands. It is not a difficult job.

x2
took me about 25 min .
2 people are a plus .

usafimj

Reaction score
Unbold axle back (1 bolt each) and if you'd like you can remove the entire setup including the black hangars (2 on each side with 1 bolt). Remove stock axle backs and reverse steps

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I always just disconnect the mid-pipe and not remove the hangers at all. yes it does help having another person line up the the tips sticking out the bumper, both for location and depth.
For the muffler clamp, using a deep 15mm socket works best. Same socket works on the band clamp holding the mid pipe to your H or X.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
make sure you have the clamps to install the new ones. the stock clamps are welded on

NJ09GT

Reaction score
Thank you everyone

make sure you have the clamps to install the new ones. the stock clamps are welded on

especially you irishpwr, not one person has advised me of this. Where can I get clamps to put these on? I appreciate the advice.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
especially you irishpwr, not one person has advised me of this. Where can I get clamps to put these on? I appreciate the advice.
Your new mufflers didn't come with clamps?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back