B4 and after... Bama tune vs Local dyno

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have CMDPs?? Couldn't that cause the dip if it was or wasn't tuned for that? Or maybe they were staying closed? Mine did that and I believe that's what fixed it was some CMDPs

I have the exact same mods as him and have the exact same dip in my graph with my tune by Chris....im going to Wes at Sho Me Speed next thursday to see if I can have some nice gains as well...both of us have CMDPs and both tunes are written for them...something in the tune is causing the dip...mine happens at 3800 because of my 4.10s though

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have CMDPs?? Couldn't that cause the dip if it was or wasn't tuned for that? Or maybe they were staying closed? Mine did that and I believe that's what fixed it was some CMDPs

I do have have delete plates and they were figured in on the bama tune...

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Maybe Chris can explain.

I have their(BAMA) tune and as far as drivability, it's a tune that is hard to beat and I've had other email tunes too and they SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've datalogged my tune and sent it directly to Chris Rose and he reviewed it and assured me it was spot on. I'll wait for Chris' input.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I dynoed my Bama race tune, I didn't have a dip like that, it was spot on.

blackblackblack

forum member
Reaction score
maybe i will datalog and send it back, then check with chris and see what happens... well, not running same engine so maybe my input here is futile

VanWilder

forum member
Reaction score
I dynoed my Bama race tune, I didn't have a dip like that, it was spot on.

I think its something to do with our cams...me, dark horse, and my brother n law (DeceptionGT/CS) all have the exact same mods...the exact same tune...and made the exact same power and all had the weird dip...me and Chris have worked and worked back and forth on my tune trying to fix it through numerous datalogs and finally we came to the conclusion that my cam phasers were bad that it was a mechanical issue...but after seeing two other cars local to me and friends of mine with the same mods make the same power and have the same dip we figured it may be worth to try a dyno tune and clearly it was fixable through the tune...ill see if I have the same results next thursday and will post...nothing against Chris though...he's worked his ass off trying to fix my car through A LOT of tune revisions but sometimes its hard to figure exactly whats wrong when you cant physically look at the car...i will continue sending him customers!!! A+++ to Chris Rose

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
You better had more power with the dyno tune. Cost a shit load more.

True for the most part, but the bama tune dyno looks like something happened. The OP really shouldnt brag so much about a tune that cost twice as much, and other than the odd dip, looks pretty close. Bamas tunes are pretty damn good for not actually touching the car.

Reaction score
So you mean a custom tune on a dyno nets better gains than an email unchecked tune? This is unheard of..... I really think if you would have sent the graphs logs and info to Chris he could have matched the dyno tune. Probably would have saved money in the long run.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Well I went through all this with chris.. Multiple data logging sessions and over a half dozen tune revisions <~ half of said revisions the car wouldn't even start and idle... Even started a good thread on here about throwing that dumb egr valve code.. Can't remember the actual code number... Don't get me wrong I've had plenty of tunes from that worked just fine... But for some reason they have just dropped the ball for all three of us... They couldn't figure out my problems and basically wrote me off saying that the cam and phaser limiter installation was faulty. Which i did the installation myself aling with vanwilder...So after all the revisions and couple months of going back and forth with them
Id had enough... I paid less than 300$ (100$ of that was the SCT license) for less than two hours on the dyno.. 8 pulls to be exact... I'm not saying to hell with Bama or praising them either...

The 17whp 30ft tq increases speak for themselves... Hell theres a spot on there where my
tq is over a 50ft increase... Who knows there might a completely different car lurking in there somewhere... I'm glad I found out... Just having the peace of mind of a correctly tuned car is worth the money to me.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bamas the blue graph.... I was throwing the stupid egr valve code with bama... Not anymore... Sae? Is that the correction numbers... If so blue graph 1.07 red graph 1.04

How are you throwing an egr code? We don't have an egr system on our cars.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bring it to 10 more, most will give you 10more hp...

email tune... did Doug tune it on his dyno, or email?

apples... oranges

But, im sure you already knew all this, and just wanted to start a spirited debate. :look:

Great idea; wish I'd thought of it! :beer:

EDIT: How many of you have gotten a dyno tune, graph showed LOWER numbers... and, the track numbers were LOWER ( for the C students, faster )?

I have :p

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Wasn't there a guy who got a dyno tune that made less power than his BAMA tune?

KonaGT

forum member
Reaction score
Email tunes are like playing russian roulette in my opinion.

I bought into Bama's tunes for life program. I ran the race tune for a while and finally learned how to datalog it and guess what. Knock sensors were pulling a fair amount of timing at WOT. I went back and forth with Chris and revising tunes. Each new tune still was sensing knock. He thought maybe it was bad gas and recommended I switch. New tank of gas from different station same thing. He also recommended to just stick with the performance tune until we could get the race tune dialed in. Well good news, the performance tune also knocked at WOT. I emailed that datalog to him and never heard back from him.

I gave up on that whole deal and am trying to decide what to do now because I can't even go WOT with my car without fear of detonation. And these were all 91 octane tunes and I have run 92 which is premium where I live.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I have a dyno tune, and i am pretty sure it is pulling timing. I am getting ok times, but it definitely should have alot more in the top end.

Dyno tunes also depend on how the tuner decides to set the settings. Mine is way on the safe side because of stock block and tranny.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I have a dyno tune, and i am pretty sure it is pulling timing. I am getting ok times, but it definitely should have alot more in the top end.

Dyno tunes also depend on how the tuner decides to set the settings. Mine is way on the safe side because of stock block and tranny.

Mine is also a very conservative tune

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I have a theory about the tune and octane issues.

I recently moved from a place where 91 is premium to a place where 93 is premium. Now, my 91 tune was good, it was peppy and all but it didn't blow my mind. Once I got to a 93 pump, I switched tunes and holy crap. It is a completely different story. The car picks up much faster and it doesn't suck below 3000rpm.

My theory: since most of the email tuners live where 93 is available, I imagine they have a pretty spot on 93 tune and then, based on that tune, they guesstimate for the lower octane without really working too much into it. That's just my theory though. All I know is the difference between my 93 and 91 tune is a whole lot more than 87 and 91.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
That may have been me. I dynoed my dyno tune and Bama tune back to back and the bama tune dynoed about .3-.4 hp higher so they were virtually identical.

Were not exactly talking about 3-4 hp difference here...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back