Backup camera install trouble

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
I got a pioneer avh4400 and I cannot seem to get my backup camera's reverse trip wire installed properly. I want it to activate the camera when I put the car in reverse, right now I tried wiring it to the reverse light wire on the driver side but its not tripping the switch. Any advice?

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
The automatic detection feature or the camera feature? I can turn the camera on manually through the head unit but its not automatic

2010SterlingGT

Lava Roush
Reaction score
Albuquerque, New Mexico, Bernalillo County, USA, N
What wire did you hook it up to? Did you hook the camera up to the reverse light wire? There is a reverse light wire on the harness for the radio right? I am installing the same deck tomorrow. I got the Metra LCD kit and a PAC harness. The PAC harness had a rear back up light wire on it.

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
Ya there was the rear backup light wire that I spliced in with a reverse light back in the trunk. I also plugged in the cameras plugs at the head unit

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
It's been raining all day today and I don't have a garage, you don't think it could be because I have too thick a gauge of wire do you?

5.SLOW

Reaction score
i like to turn my cam on when racing so i can take pic or video lmao but dont know if possible

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your other questions, but there is NO way that you can use too thick of a wire and have it be problematic. That's assuredly not the issue. More than likely its a setting on the deck, perhaps there is a setting for sensing the circuit closing via ground instead of sensing 12V + that needs to be changed.

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your other questions, but there is NO way that you can use too thick of a wire and have it be problematic. That's assuredly not the issue. More than likely its a setting on the deck, perhaps there is a setting for sensing the circuit closing via ground instead of sensing 12V + that needs to be changed.

Well there is that setting, I've gone through every option. I spliced the wire into my running lights then started the car, when I flicked on my running lights it triggered the camera on... But not the same with the revers wire maybe someone knows which wire is the reverse bulbs at the tailight? I might have that one hooked in wrong?

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the Pac harness, just run switched 12v power to the camera and ground it in the trunk. Run the RCA to the head unit and plug it into the RCA that says backup camera.

Doing it this way, the Pac harness will know when you go in reverse, also you can turn on the camera while driving normal.

Make sure you turn it on in the settings.

Good luck.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the Pac harness, just run switched 12v power to the camera and ground it in the trunk. Run the RCA to the head unit and plug it into the RCA that says backup camera.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say switched do you mean wire a manual toggle switch from a consistent 12v power source to the reverse wire on the PAC harness that's labeled reverse. Then just flipping the switch when i want it?

Meikol02

Reaction score
Switched power is a +12v source that is only present when the key is in the Acc or Run position.

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
K so what we are saying is a wire to the from switched power(example would be?) to the power wire on the camera but I don't think the camera I am using had a grounding wire ill have to check, I've been real busy trying to get that degree

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Switched power is a +12v source that is only present when the key is in the Acc or Run position.

What he said. :D

In the sjb there is a few switched circuits, you woukd need to get an "add a fuse" and then run the line back. Your camera has to have a ground, unless the camera base is metal and it is supposed to be self grounding.....cheap garbage camera if it is.

Good luck.

07ccdskaterv6

forum member
Reaction score
What he said. :D

In the sjb there is a few switched circuits, you woukd need to get an "add a fuse" and then run the line back. Your camera has to have a ground, unless the camera base is metal and it is supposed to be self grounding.....cheap garbage camera if it is.

Good luck.

Ok so, I got the camera power lead running over to the sjb in the passenger side kick panel I do an add a fuse to one of the switched circuits in the box. Are the fuses labeled in the box (would i be able to identify the switched circuits)? Then if I ground the "grounding wire" out in the trunk and run the RCA to the head unit as well. Then that's all I gotta do? Shouldn't the reverse wire in the PAC harness be with something?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back