Baer 14" rear brake upgrade problem? can you help

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Alright I purchased a set of 14" rear bear brake rotors and the caliper brackets. Ive looked on line even pulled the instructions per Bear, and yet I feel like I am missing something

Its a pretty simple install yet I am lost or confused.

Per Bear I retain my stock caliper, and anti moan bracket, and simply install the new bear bracket with the ingraved numbers facing inward...there kit supplies two brackets, four bolts, and two rotors..

When I installed it, it appears that my caliper is too far away from the bracket mount see pictures

Its almost as if the anti moan bracket would give me back the correct spacing, but its not supposed to be moved correct?

Or maybe I just need to turn my caliper in and will thst make up the room?

Im looking for anything I am missing or guidance. Thanks Rob

Bear install picture

My pictures

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Is the rotor all the way up against the hub? You know it moves.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
OP, not trying to de-rail your thread or bring it down on ya at all, but why are you using an aftermarket rear brake setup that retains the stock caliper? All these adapters are just another point of failure if shit hits the fan. The '13 GT500 rear brakes are the easiest and best quality conversion you can do for your rear brakes if you're not looking for a rear caliper upgrade. OEM 05-10 S197's use a 11.8" rear rotor, the '13 GT500 uses a 13.8" rotor. The caliper is still a single piston floating caliper. For the swap, it requires the removal of your axels to remove the caliper bracket from the axel tube assembly, and swap out for the GT500 brackets. Reinstall axels and from there it's a regular brake job, and you'll need to use a set of '11-14 GT rear calipers or the '13-'14 GT500 calipers. The GT calipers are more readily available but often enough the '13 GT500 rears come as a complete setup. I paid a little over $300 for the complete swap. It's a true OEM fit 'n finish.

Again, not saying what you're doing is a negative, but when I look at the pictures of how they are trying to shortcut and extend the early S197 OEM caliper bracket, it just doesn't sit well in my gut. I'm sure it works if they sell it, just can't say I would want all that bolted up to my calipers.

The only thing I can suggest in relation to the issue is to check with Baer to see if you are using the correct equipment for what you have. If Baer specifies that their adapter uses *specifically* the 05-10 S197 caliper or if you are supposed to use a different model caliper. That's all I can think of if you are having dimension problems.

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
OP, not trying to de-rail your thread or bring it down on ya at all, but why are you using an aftermarket rear brake setup that retains the stock caliper? All these adapters are just another point of failure if shit hits the fan. The '13 GT500 rear brakes are the easiest and best quality conversion you can do for your rear brakes if you're not looking for a rear caliper upgrade. OEM 05-10 S197's use a 11.8" rear rotor, the '13 GT500 uses a 13.8" rotor. The caliper is still a single piston floating caliper. For the swap, it requires the removal of your axels to remove the caliper bracket from the axel tube assembly, and swap out for the GT500 brackets. Reinstall axels and from there it's a regular brake job, and you'll need to use a set of '11-14 GT rear calipers or the '13-'14 GT500 calipers. The GT calipers are more readily available but often enough the '13 GT500 rears come as a complete setup. I paid a little over $300 for the complete swap. It's a true OEM fit 'n finish.

Again, not saying what you're doing is a negative, but when I look at the pictures of how they are trying to shortcut and extend the early S197 OEM caliper bracket, it just doesn't sit well in my gut. I'm sure it works if they sell it, just can't say I would want all that bolted up to my calipers.

The only thing I can suggest in relation to the issue is to check with Baer to see if you are using the correct equipment for what you have. If Baer specifies that their adapter uses *specifically* the 05-10 S197 caliper or if you are supposed to use a different model caliper. That's all I can think of if you are having dimension problems.

No problem. .

The reason I got this set up is because a local guy pulled it from his car because he changed wheels, and they didn't fit, and only paid $350 for the complete front and rear 14" bear rotors, bear front Shelby calipers, and braided lines, plus I got a complete set of 20" wheels...where could I pass up a deal like this....I know its not the best on the market but I couldn't buy stock rotors, calipers for that...and if I decide to sale the wheels I want have anything in them...and I don't road race, I occasionally spirit drive it around the house but even then its mainly a cruiser..

No own to the question they came right off of his car, a stock 07 gt....nothing is missing....guess ill call bear...but I just figured someone had purchased their kit and installed at some point in the past 10 years...many companies sale this exact rear upgrade kit....

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
No problem. .

The reason I got this set up is because a local guy pulled it from his car because he changed wheels, and they didn't fit, and only paid $350 for the complete front and rear 14" bear rotors, bear front Shelby calipers, and braided lines, plus I got a complete set of 20" wheels...where could I pass up a deal like this....I know its not the best on the market but I couldn't buy stock rotors, calipers for that...and if I decide to sale the wheels I want have anything in them...and I don't road race, I occasionally spirit drive it around the house but even then its mainly a cruiser..

No own to the question they came right off of his car, a stock 07 gt....nothing is missing....guess ill call bear...but I just figured someone had purchased their kit and installed at some point in the past 10 years...many companies sale this exact rear upgrade kit....

Can't beat all that and another set of wheels for $350. That's a stupid good deal. Hope you get it all figured out. I run the 19" Brembo wheels and I love how well the bigger rotors in the rear fill up the wheel. Definitely makes a nice visual upgrade.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Next up was instaling the baer rotor caliper adaptor. it mounts on the spindle and moves the caliper out to fit the larger rotor. The directions from baer call for using the supplied bolts to mount the adaptor, which are longer. and using the factory bolts to mount the caliper, but the stock bolts were too short for the adaptor/caliper. So we ended up installing the adaptor on the spindle with the stock caliper bolts and used the supplied longer bolts to mount the caliper to the adaptor.
p_00153-1.jpg

Side by side of stock vs baer rotor
p_00156-1.jpg

p_00157-1.jpg

p_00158-1.jpg

Reinstalled the caliper with the Hawk HPS pads on the baer rotor
p_00160-1.jpg

Last edited:

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I got it all worked out last night, once I compressed the piston in and tightened everything back up it all fit as it should, it was just at first glance when I adapted the Baer bracket it seemed it was going to be out of alignment from where it should be, but it wasn't, little pre panic on my part.

All in all it looks great ill take time this summer to clean and paint the calipers

For $350 it was an awesome upgrade, not sure what I will do with the extra set of 20" wheels and tires that came with the deal other than use the tires, toyos proxes 295/30/20 as a back up and may use the wheels on the old truck.

Sorry about the typo bear or Baer sometimes if u have monkey fingers and your typing on a keyboard from the phone it doesn't always come out the way u want it too...especially if ur in a hurry.

All is well......

v6tungsten

forum member
Reaction score
well worth it aluminum hat rotors are expensive and lighter than OEM. new the rear kit is about $650

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score

I have a friend making 6061 cncd brackets and they have been beaten to hell on the road coarses and one has yet to fail and customers have reported only great things including better braking. If you have any links to failures I would like to be forwarded to a link because ive never heard of the failure/s you're describing

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back