barbq ? Gourmet chef ?

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I know there's got to be some southern barbq boys out there. I'm doing a little catering here and there. I like to consider myself a gourmet and a barbq fanatic.

I have an offset smoker, a gas grill, a Weber kettle for outdoor cookin. I prefer the Memphis style but also like the Carolina sweet vinegar thin sauce on whole hog. Haven't done a whole hog yet, but maybe this summer ?

I also love just plain old cooking, but do like the high end stuff. Especially charcuterie, I'm just getting into the home sausage making and curing. The last few attempts have come out very well.

xarmor

Reaction score
Not a gourmet by any means but I love to bbq! I spend at least one Sat. a month around the smoker. I am partial to Texas bbq but I prefer the sauces and spices from the Carolinas. My wife is a Chef so I leave all the fancy stuff to her. I have a pit on a trailer so hopefully I can bring it to some mustang outings. I hope this thread takes off as I know there are plenty of bbq gurus out there. Hers a few pics to get it started.....

Some Ribs last weekend
Picture167.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture170.jpg

Some Mac N Cheese that went with it all. Kids love this stuff!!!
Picture146.jpg

Last edited:

JimC

Reaction score
That is some good looking barbeque!

My wife and I were just talking about the mac and cheese - is it a southern tradition or something? Someone we were talking with recently, from the south, said that mac and cheese is a Thanksgiving tradition for them.

xarmor

Reaction score
Heres the Mac recipe if anyone is interested. The one really important step is to let the noodles cool down enough before adding the egg / evap milk, if you pour it inwhile the noodle are to hot the eqqs will cook and curl!

Mac & Cheese

7 cups water
3 cups uncooked mac elbows
1 tbs salt
1 stick butter
1 12oz can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
10-12 oz sliced block sharp cheddar cheese
Paprika

Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add elbows and boil for 10 mins. Remove from heat. DO NOT DRAIN. Add cubed Velveeta cheese and mix well until cheese has melted and blended thoroughly. Allow to cool somewhat. Beat 3 eggs well and add evaporated milk to eggs. Stir to blend and add to mac. Blend well and allow to cool some more. Pour mac and cheese into a 9x13 buttered baking dish or disposable aluminum half pan. Cover with sliced sharp cheddar and sprinkle with Paprika. Place dish in 375* oven for approx. 45 mins. or until bubbly and golden brown. Allow to rest about 20 mins. before serving. I like to add real bacon bits and freshly chopped Jalapeno also.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Memphis style

I'm right in the middle of it! Lived here for over 25 years, so I'm a complete bbq snob. LOL I've been to every one of the "names" countless times. Rendezvous, Corky's, etc... I still threaten to apply for judging at the Memphis in May International BBQ Fest.

My all-time favorite bbq place is no more, and second place remains somewhat contested and MILES behind first.

www.willinghams.com is the website. It looks to me like the original guy licensed his business to someone, but the products are authentic. I regularly buy the sauces in one local grocery chain that still carries it.

I'd practically fight someone argueing over the Original Mild sauce. My go-to, number 1 sauce period. If you order a bottle and aren't blown away, *I'd* consider refunding you. ;-) The hot stuff is good, but let me steer you clear of "Cool Breeze". It is devestating, and hot sauce doesnt scare me one bit. The Original dry rub is mind bending, too.

My folks moved on to TX a few years back, and I'm getting my education in the region's bbq. So far, The Salt Lick and Rudy's are my two favorites.

-Alan @ SOS

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
If your going southern please learn how to spell it.....It's Bar-B-Q.....Just messing with ya, and Texans use beef we eat PIG.....It's all good!!!!!!

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i fucking love bar b q. it is damn hard finding a good place up in nyc though. im a fan of sweet baby rays sauces myself. those and stubbs. when i was down in myrtle beach for mustang week, i was loving how accesible it was to have good bbq whenever i wanted.

xarmor

Reaction score
i fucking love bar b q. it is damn hard finding a good place up in nyc though. im a fan of sweet baby rays sauces myself. those and Stubbs. when i was down in myrtle beach for mustang week, i was loving how accesible it was to have good bbq whenever i wanted.

Stubbs is here in Austin, great Q and a favorite place for live music. Buddy Guy was there not to long ago, love his version of Mustang Sally.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
i fucking love bar b q. it is damn hard finding a good place up in nyc though. im a fan of sweet baby rays sauces myself. those and stubbs. when i was down in myrtle beach for mustang week, i was loving how accesible it was to have good bbq whenever i wanted.

isn't DInosaur Q in NYC ? I'm not sure, just thought it was.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Stubbs is here in Austin, great Q and a favorite place for live music. Buddy Guy was there not to long ago, love his version of Mustang Sally.

I like Stubbs sauce, a true Texas flavor, I use it exclusively on beef. For pork I do like Corky's sauce though.

Your ribs looked killer man, made my mouth water.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
yeah it is, but it is second rate once you taste the real stuff

I hear ya, I remember the first time I ever went to Memphis. My pal, may he RIP, took me to Corkys on Poplar. OMG !! I still remember that first bite of ribs. I've spent the last 20 years trying to recreate that flavor, that texture, that aroma. Been to Memphis plenty of times since then. Been to Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Arkansas, the Carolinas, all over the south. Even tried the white barbq sauce in Alabama. It's all good, real good. But Buddy Roe, there aint nuthin, and I mean nuthin like Memphis Q.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Heres the Mac recipe if anyone is interested. The one really important step is to let the noodles cool down enough before adding the egg / evap milk, if you pour it inwhile the noodle are to hot the eqqs will cook and curl!

Mac & Cheese

7 cups water
1 tbs salt
1 stick butter
3 eggs
Paprika

Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add elbows and boil for 10 mins. Remove from heat. DO NOT DRAIN. Add cubed Velveeta cheese and mix well until cheese has melted and blended thoroughly. Allow to cool somewhat. Beat 3 eggs well and add evaporated milk to eggs. Stir to blend and add to mac. Blend well and allow to cool some more. Pour mac and cheese into a 9x13 buttered baking dish or disposable aluminum half pan. Cover with sliced sharp cheddar and sprinkle with Paprika. Place dish in 375* oven for approx. 45 mins. or until bubbly and golden brown. Allow to rest about 20 mins. before serving. I like to add real bacon bits and freshly chopped Jalapeno also.

looks real good. Ever tried a teaspoon of dry Colemans mustard in your mac n cheese ? Can't really taste that it's mustard, but definitely picks up the flavors.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Mac & Cheese

7 cups water
1 tbs salt
1 stick butter
3 eggs
Paprika

Something I just learned recently, (thank you cooking channel) is to temper your eggs. If you take a small portion of the hot cooking liquid and then wisk it into your egg mixture, it will keep the eggs from curdling. I think it dilutes the eggs and heats them up enough so they aren't in danger of cooking...

2.5 years till I hit retirement... then I am going to cook until I die!

xarmor

Reaction score
Great tips on the Mac n Cheese. I will try the Colemans in the next batch, that does sound like it would perk it up a bit. I have never heard the egg tempering trick either but I will give it a shot, beats waiting for the noodles to cool down!!

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
If your going southern please learn how to spell it.....It's Bar-B-Q.....Just messing with ya, and Texans use beef we eat PIG.....It's all good!!!!!!

Amen on both points, but if it ain't pig it ain't bbq! We fire up the smoker every summer - a lot of hickory, some apple wood, and a few "chinese secrets" along with grandmas homemade sauce leave us all hungry for more every time!

Family Christmas is coming up which means one thing to my family - smoked ham! :clap:

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
so who is the brisket king among you all ? I love brisket, I love to cook and eat brisket. But it's an extremely difficult cut to do perfectly. I can keep it moist and make it tasty but then it won't slice because it's fall apart. At 8-10 hours it slices nice, tastes good but still a little stringy.

I smoke mine for 6-8 hours @225. Wrap it in foil with some liquid for another 4 hours @225, then let it sit in an insulated container until cool, another 3-4 hours.

Back