Bathroom Remodel Project

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
I recently paid someone else to remodel my bathroom in my house. I spent about six or seven grand in labor, it took two months, and I had to babysit them all the time because they would **** everything up unless I watched them every step of the way. I swear those guys wouldn't read installation instructions if their life depended on it.

Well, my mom really liked my bathroom remodel, and wanted to fix up her master bathroom too. Rather than paying some hack tons of money to **** everything up and have to redo it two or three times, my neighbor and I decided to tackle the project ourselves, and farm out the stuff we couldn't/didn't want to do. He's a very handy guy, and has extraordinary attention to detail. I gave him a bunch of money instead, (which I much prefer) the job gets done right, and I get to learn how to do some of this stuff in the process, so it's a win/win all the way around. :)

It's not a full demolish/rebuild, so it's not as big of a job as my bathroom. We're going to put new tile on the floor, new toilet, new tile in the shower, new shower fixtures, new vanity (going from one sink to two), new dual light fixtures above the sink, and some new paint. I bought the vanity, shower fixtures, lights, etc all online. Mostly from Overstock.com. All the tile came from Floor & Decor.

Anyway, here's some before pictures.
Before1_zps9f172947.jpg

Before2_zps62bdf09f.jpg

Before3_zps7c6301b9.jpg

Before6_zps1b1adb7f.jpg

Before8_zps48586131.jpg

Day 1:

My neighbor and I rented an electric chisel from Home Depot with a couple chisel attachments for smashing tile, and a big scraper for pulling up all the old tile mud from the floor. We took turns smashing tile and cleaning up. It's tiring work (especially for fat bankers) and I was wore out by the end of the day. However, we got all the tile cleaned completely up, and the floor smooth as glass in one day. It was 119 degrees yesterday, and even though we were inside and out of the sun, it was still pretty freakin' hot.
Before10_zps1123f751.jpg

Demo6_zps5415a127.jpg

Demo7_zpsdd097207.jpg

On the first day, we had torn out all the tile and the vanity, capped the plumbing lines, and pulled the toilet.

Day 2:

Now we had the shower to contend with. It was just tile on greenboard, and it wasn't too difficult. There's a glass block window that we had to be careful with. We also taped four thick moving blankets over the tub so it wouldn't get damaged while we were smashing the crap outta the shower walls.
Demo2_zps1984d7bb.jpg

Unfortunately, I had a little mishap. I was smashing the walls with a 3 lb sledgehammer, and ripping the pieces out. Well, a chunk of drywall/mud/tile fell and hit me in the shin on its way down. It didn't hurt, but it looks terrible. Luckily, I have pretty tough skin so I don't cut too easy, and when I do, I clot like a champ! :lol:

I went to urgent care, they cleaned all the drywall and shrapnel out of the wound, (which DID hurt like crazy :) ) bandaged me up, and sent me on my way with some antibiotics. It's going to leave an ugly scar, but hey, chicks dig scar, right? One hour and $125, I was back working.
WoundDay22_zpsf99d0a26.jpg

WoundDay2_zpsa262003f.jpg

Here's the shower after demo.
Demo5_zps3949edf8.jpg

Demo9_zps98c0fba8.jpg

Demo10_zps52272c96.jpg

Here's where the vanity used to be. We're gonna call Deer Valley Plumbing to come split the feeds and the drains for two sinks. We need to mock up where the vanity is first though so we know where the plumbing needs to be. We're also gonna pull out all the old R13 insultation from 1983 and cram some R19 insulation in it's place. Apparently it's for 2x6 construction, but you can squeeze it into 2x4 construction if you want.
Demo11_zps35198312.jpg

There's a little damage to the foundation where the drain is, and some moisture damage. The drywall guy (another neighbor of mine) is gonna fix it with some quickcrete and elastomeric foam I guess. I don't know what the stuff is, but he seemed pretty familiar with it so I'm hoping it works fine. I also sprayed all the walls with some bleachwater to kill any leftover mold spores.
Demo12_zps8cbb11fe.jpg

Demo13_zps44e45899.jpg

Here's the mess in the bedroom.
Demo14_zpsebfba545.jpg

Anyway, there's not much more to do right until the plumber and the drywaller do their work. Hopefully they can do their stuff this week so maybe we can get to tiling this long holiday weekend. I like doing house stuff. It's fun learning how to do it.

Paul.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool, I will follow this thread. That is our next step at our house as well, master bathroom remodel.

Your leg looks horrible. Hopefully that looks worse then it is.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Next time you need to clean up mold you should use Borax / Water solution or Vinegar. Bleach is too damn harmful for your own lungs and it does not penetrate porous surfaces. It only kills what is on the very top.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Cool, I will follow this thread. That is our next step at our house as well, master bathroom remodel.

Your leg looks horrible. Hopefully that looks worse then it is.

It should be done in the next 5 weeks. I think it's gonna turn out real nice and my mom will really love it. Remodeling my bathroom definitely my house definitely made my house 100% more livable and enjoyable.

My leg really does look a lot worse than it actually is. I'm not kidding when I say it didn't hurt. (until they cleaned it, that hurt like a sonofabitch!) The skin flaps were just too thin and knarly for the doc to stitch, so they just put some kind of medical foam goo on the wound, bandaged it tightly, and sent me on my way. It only hurts a little now. Just sucks that I'm probably going to have another big scar on my leg.

Paul.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ballsy. I've always been terrible at home improvements of any kind, and really admire you guys that tackle projects yourselves. I'm pretty good with outside projects, but it's something about the confines of a room that throw me off (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it). I've been inspired by Earl to go after my garage this fall, but I've got plenty of room!

Bravo. Can't wait to see the finished project...

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm sure it will turn out fine. My neighbor (the brains of this operation) is really handy, and we're hiring out the plumbing and drywall to make sure it gets done perfect. Really all we'll have to do once that's done is tile. A lot. Of tile.

Once that's complete, we hang mirrors, install the vanity, hook up some faucents/sinks/drains, install the toilet, put the lights in, paint, and BAM, it will be done.

Paul.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That tile will eff you up man! Gotta watch it on the demo.

Looking good though. At least you have help. A lot of this stuff is too much to take on by yourself.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Progress today...

Deer Valley plumbing came by this morning and knocked out all the plumbing that we needed done. He split the water feeds and drain for the two sinks, re-did the shower feeds, and also replaced an old cruddy valve to shut off the water to the house. We mocked up the vanity against the wall, and taped off exactly where he needed to get the water feeds and drain, and he did it just right.

The drywall guy will be at the house all weekend. He's got quite a bit of work to do because we're having him do some other stuff besides the bathroom. Either way, I'm hoping he's finished up by Sunday night. The next step is paint. A. Lot. Of. Paint. We're repainting the bathroom and the whole bedroom too. Hopefully most of that will be done will be done next week so we can spend the following two weeks tiling and installing everything.

I have new packages arriving at the house almost every day with lights, fixtures, and different stuff. It's pretty fun. I'm really enjoying the project. I can't wait for it to be done and see the look on my mom's face when she sees it. :)

Anyway, couple of pics...

Here's the new dual plumbing. It's part copper and part Pex. Should work great.
VanityPlumbing_zpse09d5299.jpg

Here's the shower plumbing. We're installing a new pre-valved shower panel, so all you have to do is run two barbs for the hot and cold feed, attach them to the shower panel after everything is all tiled and ready to go, and it's done.
ShowerPlumbing_zps43cddf84.jpg

We painted some Kilz on the studs, just to help protect them in the future. There was a little water damage when we ripped the drywall out. The new insulation will go in tomorrow before the drywall is installed.
ShowerDemo_zpsbd5d6384.jpg

More pics later. Hoping to be completely done in three weeks.

Paul.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Make sure you buy paint rated for bathroom use and not standard flat latex off the shelf. Ask my mother-in-law how I know ;-)

This is the next step in my house and I need to split one light fixture into two and build a few "alcoves" and not sure if I want to do a floor pan or build a proper tile threshold.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Coming along nicely.

I'd highly recommend using Redgard waterproofing membrane on those studs and wherever else water might get a chance to get to. Stuff's awesome!

This was my bathroom walls all done in 4-5 coats of Redgard (I only did that many coats cuz I was trying to use up all the tub):

2013-04-25_tub-walls_zpsd2164ec2.jpg

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, we're planning on resguardjng the whole shower and part of the wall behind the vanity. Its all purple board too so its very water resistant. Drywall is almost done. Paint starts this week.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
So more progress.

The drywall guy (another neighbor of mine, two houses down) came by yesterday and today and knocked out all the drywall. He's been doing it for 28 years. He does incredible work, he's fast as hell, and he came in $160 UNDER his estimate. When has that ever happened?

Here's a few pics.

One wall of the bathroom had to be skimmed and re-textured because there used to be wallpaper on there a long time ago, which was never removed, then painted over. He actually did this same thing on an entire huge wall of the bedroom too. Stupid owners before my parents didn't remove the wallpaper before they decided to paint.
DrywallToilet_zps11175a4c.jpg

We removed the old can light in the closet because it didn't provide hardly any light. Patched it. We're going to install a new super bright light in there.
DrywallCeiling_zps8abea2fe.jpg

This is the wall where the medicine cabinet used to be.
DrywallWall_zpsf074df33.jpg

This is where the arch used to be. All niced and squared off now.
DrywallArch_zps6dd7e750.jpg

Shower.
DrywallShower4_zps2e9bf0a9.jpg

DrywallShower3_zps7469c37e.jpg

DrywallShower1_zpsf0c8b31b.jpg

Vanity wall.
DrywallVanity_zpsf8500756.jpg

DrywallWindow_zps4e42dd02.jpg

Redguard is next. Then lots of paint. Coming along nicely, and very quickly.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Holy cow. I am tired and sore. I've been working on the bathroom (and the bedroom) solid since Friday afternoon. The bedroom is completely painted now. We got all the Redguard on the shower. My neighbor and I worked 12 hour days yesterday and today doing tile. We got the whole back wall of the shower done, plus one side wall. We ran into a problem with a stupid leaky shower fitting that killed six hours on Saturday. We have about 65% of the tile done on the floor as well. The tile is incredibly time consuming, and the walls are tough to get perfect. However, I think it's coming out really well. My ultra-badass tile saw is, well... ultra-badass. Having a professional saw makes the job much easier and faster. I also bought a laser that gives me perfectly perpedicular and always-level vertical and horizontal lines on any surface. Best $100 ever for doing tile. It makes it so much easier to make adjustments and keep your grout lines razor sharp.

I'll tell you this - me neighbor and I are doing a better job than the "professionals" that I paid a lot of money to do my shower.

I've been working so much that I didn't even snap any pics, but I'll try to do that tomorrow or Thursday and get 'em posted. It's really looking great.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Holy shit. The tile is done. I'm so friggin' happy that that tile is done.

We tiled 12 last Monday, 12 hours last Tuesday, 3-4 hours every night Wednesday-Friday, 4 hours Saturday, and 13 hours today. All that remains is some the grout in the shower and behind the vanity. My neighbor is going to work on the bathroom tomorrow, but unfortunately I will be at work. Both of us are working on it all day Tuesday and Wednesday though, and we're hoping to finish Wednesday.

Here's a few update pics:

Here's the tile in the closet.
ClosetTile_zps6bf115c1.jpg

This the cool light we put in the closet. There used to be just a can light in there which didn't give enough light. It was a cave in there. This baby is bright as hell, with nice bright pure white lights.
ClosetLight_zpsa3e25b82.jpg

Awesome little light that found for the water closet.
ToiletLight_zps1e5d710e.jpg

We mocked up the vanity so we could figure out where all the tile had to go. There was some super tricky tiling to do around this thing.
VanityMockedUp_zps827a28e2.jpg

This was the last wall of tile we had to do. All mosaic behind the vanity, then the shower tile around the glass block window. This was a real bitch to get all square, flat, and trim. The aluminum trim gives it a really nice finished edge, but takes extra time to get everything plumb and square. This wall took 13 hours.
VanityTiling_zpsf224cd59.jpg

Here's the shower.
TileBeforeGrout2_zps9d1197c6.jpg

Shower wall with glass block window, and tile behind the vanity.
TileBeforeGrout1_zpsa72e3732.jpg

TileBeforeGrout3_zps9d2c8abf.jpg

Tomorrow is baseboards, toilet install, clean up a whole bunch, maybe install the lights, and all the million little odds and ends. Three more days to finish...

Paul.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Such an improvement over what you started with. Its going to turn out good with all the details in place.

Put some before/after pictures of the same spots when you are done. The comparison is going to be pretty interesting to say the least.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Worked another 13 hours today. Bathroom is 95% done. Today we installed the vanity, the sinks, the plumbing, the shower panel, the shower shelves, the faucets, the mirrors, the baseboards, caulked everything, etc. I pressure washed the driveway for two hours to get all the residue from all the tile mud and grout off.

Only things left to do is paint the baseboards, install the toilet, and some odds and ends. Then clean EVERYTHING and put the bathroom/bedroom/house back together which is going to take a while. I have a crew coming tomorrow to clean the front, side, and backyards, plus a gal to help my girlfriend clean the house, plus I'll be cleaning up all day too.

My mom gets home Thursday morning from her vacation in Denmark. I think she's gonna love it. Pics of the finished product tomorrow.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
The bathroom is done!! Today we did all the finishing touches, then did AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF CLEANING. I hired a crew to come clean the yard around the whole house because I just didn’t have enough time left to do it myself. They did an awesome job and it was worth every penny. My super awesome girlfriend spent about 20 hours over the last two days cleaning the inside of the house from top to bottom. The entire house, inside and out, is cleaner than when my mom and step dad left for vacation five weeks ago. Everything is so clean you can’t even tell we did a major bathroom remodel – what contractor does that!?!?

I can’t wait to see the look on my mom’s face. I love my mommy. :D

Anyway, on to the pics!

Here’s the bedroom, all freshly painted and brought up to date. New switches, outlets, and wall plates all around.
Bedroom_zpsf22d2edf.jpg

Bedroom2_zpsd2797ca2.jpg

We removed the ugly 80’s archway from the entryway and squared it off. Looks much more modern and clean now.
Entryway_zps59be3040.jpg

Here’s the finished vanity. It’s 60” wide with porcelain vessel sinks and a green glass countertop. The faucets are chrome. I would’ve preferred stainless, but the faucets came with the vanity and it didn’t make much sense to buy new ones. The mirrors came from Home Depot because the ones that came with the vanity didn’t look right. The lights are from Kichler.
VanityComplete_zps80f00f8d.jpg

Serious storage!

This is what I call clean plumbing. My neighbor is a fanatic for details, and it shows in stuff like this.

This is the shower panel. I don't like it as much as the one in my bathroom, but you really need a full enclosure for jets because they spray water all over the place.

Water closet completed. Picked up this nice dual-flush toilet from Costco for $88. Comes with everything for install too. Tough to beat. I have the same one in my bathroom. We installed a new door and reversed the swing because it was really tight to go in there before and shut the door behind you. Much better now.

This is a close-up of the cool light I got for the water closet. I think it's sweet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back