Black car micro marring?

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
What products would you guys recommend to be used by hand to get rid of micro marring? Thanks!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
You won't really have much success doing it by hand. Most likely you will put more damage into the clear doing it by hand vs. a Dual Action Polisher (which are meant for novices)

I'd look into a Porter Cable 7424, or even a Flex 3401

If these aren't options for you, then purchase a show car glaze. These will fill the imperfections in, but once the glaze wears off, comes the imperfections again.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
By hand? Is this a spot treatment or the whole vehicle? If you're talking about a full vehicle, just forget about even doing something like that by hand. It's not happening... LOL

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing the hood and rear they are definatley the worst. But now I'm considering buying a polished and just doing the entire car. I'll look into the porter cable 7424. What products do you guys recommend? And steps do they go in. I've read a couple of your guys write ups I basically want the most user friendly products not something that could damage the paint even more and don't want to pay a ridiculous amount lol

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
Definately look at the PC. Meguiar's, Shurhold, and Griots garage also make dual action polishers.
If you're wanting to get rid of marring, this is the best way to go.

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
That's an awesome write up anybody know a "quick fix" I'm goin to a show this weekend and don't think ill have the time to get everything to completely detail it yet

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Use the black color match wax, it will get rid of them temporarily.

Just use a glaze. Those "color match" waxes can stain.

But like the consensus says, buy a PC, compound, polishes, and the proper pads. Right tool for the right job.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing the hood and rear they are definatley the worst. But now I'm considering buying a polished and just doing the entire car. I'll look into the porter cable 7424. What products do you guys recommend? And steps do they go in. I've read a couple of your guys write ups I basically want the most user friendly products not something that could damage the paint even more and don't want to pay a ridiculous amount lol

Always start with your least aggressive pad/polish combo first

But typically the color schema goes like this:

Purple Foam Wool (Most aggressive, you don't need this)
Yellow Cutting (stay away from this one too, if you are just buying a PC)
Orange Compounding (buy a few of these)
White Polishing (buy a few of these)
Green Light Polishing (buy a few of these)
Black/Blue (Finishing/Application, buy a few of these)
Red/Gold (Jeweling, don't worry about these)

A lot of people like detailersdomains uber pads, or those new hydratech pads from LC. Go with a 5.5" Pad

As far as polishes go, let's keep it simple and cheap, buy Meguiars #105 and #205.

They're variable cut polishes and gain and loose cutting strength depending on the pad you use on them.

On a black car you will need to make many passes to get the defects out. If you have swirls, I can almost bet you will need to compound the paint first with an aggressive polish and an orange pad. Go over it again with a lesser polish and a white pad, and probably a third time to jewel up the shine with a black pad and a very weak polish (can most likely be your polish from step 2).

Lighter color cars can get away with less polishing steps. I have a Kona Blue car, may as well be black for the polishing it requires.

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for breaking it down seer! I'm sure I can tackle it now I have a black jeep as my daily so ill use that as my "test" vehicle. I'm just gona use a glaze to get me through this weekend then ill start picking up what I need.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for breaking it down seer! I'm sure I can tackle it now I have a black jeep as my daily so ill use that as my "test" vehicle. I'm just gona use a glaze to get me through this weekend then ill start picking up what I need.

Make sure to wax on top of the glaze, or it won't last long at all lol.

As far as being scared of a PC. Don't be. They pretty much cannot mess up your paint.

Rotaries on the other hand, can.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Make sure to wax on top of the glaze, or it won't last long at all lol.

As far as being scared of a PC. Don't be. They pretty much cannot mess up your paint.

Rotaries on the other hand, can.

I grew up with my Dad always using a rotary and seen what they are capable of. You need some serious experience and a certain finese to use those. I have seen paint where the user didn't know what they were doing and wanted my Dad to fix it, lol!

I just did my daily commuter as a test vehicle with a Porter Cable 7424 and it truely is idiot proof. Seer posted a really good breakdown. These links should be somewhat helpful also:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

and

http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll post some pics once I pick up everything and have time to do it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back