Black Wheel Craze ????

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It certainly does not that's for sure.
icon10.gif

Terry

BTW,
I probably would have kept some of the wheel/tire set-ups if I had any room to store them.

Unfortunately I have no extra room for that sort of thing.
icon9.gif

I know exactly what you mean Terry, as my garage space is also very limited and so is my basement as well lol.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I disagree. Some colors lend themselves to bright wheels. Like everything else it's a balance of the design look. Too much bright and it looks wrong. Like tacking on 1/4 window covers and rear window louvers and fake hood scoops and side scoops. Too much looks cheap. Windvail Blue, black and Redfire all work well with chrome wheels if done right.

I agree that some colors work better with chrome/polished wheels.

I have 2 Saphire Blue (purple) 95 Mustang GTs and that color would look horrible with blacked out wheels.

However, I really liked the look of these.
They are 18 inch Roush S197 chrome plated wheels with the back side blacked out and I think they work well with the purple paint:

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Styles change and different strokes. Thank god we don't have interior home design and dress like we did in the 80's and don't put chrome rims on every modern mustang anymore. I def don't miss when every other mustang you saw had chrome 95 cobra r rims, yuck. Look at how many options and styles come from the factory now as well compared to what use to be.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I was thinking this might go in the wheel and tire section but I'm not looking for wheel tech. More opinions. I guess I'm old school 80's guy but I don't get the whole black wheel craze. To me it look like u have four spare wheel/tires on. Or you have a real bad brake dust problem.
Didn't the trend for black wheels come out of the "murdered out" school of car appearance?

Personally if my wheels are black, it'd better be because of brake dust. Means I've been driving the car instead of letting it sit there as a driveway ornament.

But when they're clean, I prefer a natural machined-aluminum finish. Chrome is too show-y for me, too reminiscent of "chrome reverse wheels" and Cragar S/S wheels, neither of which I liked back in the 60's either.

My track wheels are silver finished only because they weren't available unfinished.

Norm

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
all black =good.

black with chrome = bad, in my opinion.

blegh
b777fb1b775a9c8a2c1efb51ef8ede21.jpg

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all black =good.

black with chrome = bad, in my opinion.

blegh
b777fb1b775a9c8a2c1efb51ef8ede21.jpg

I hate the fact that these type of wheels have become the norm for truck wheels. All black or black and machined like this. Not my preferred look.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've only seen those LS style wheels in 19" sizes ...

Nothing personal against 19" size wheels, but I really don't see much of a difference between 19 and 20" sizes.. If I'm going to add another set of wheels/tires, I'd much prefer an 18x9.5" size that will fit a 275 or 285 series tire that offers a taller sidewall and also clears the wheel well..

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my car used and the previous owner went with black rims and 20's all the way around. I hated both but the car was such a good price with very low miles so I figured screw it, I can always swap them out later.

The black rims have actually grown on me. In fact, I decided to do a whole black on blue theme with my car (vista blue car which I added black racing stripes, black hood scoop and black side window louvers).

Now I love the look. Still hate the 20's though. I prefer 17's or 18's because I like my car to do street/strip duty.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
I purchased a set of the Mustang AMR Charcoal rims/tires. My car is black. I'm also going down to 19's from 20's. They should be in tomorrow. I'll post pics once I get them installed.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I hate the fact that these type of wheels have become the norm for truck wheels. All black or black and machined like this. Not my preferred look.

Yeah, the whole truck wheel deal is changing.

It used to be if you raised the truck, you put taller tires on 15 or 16 in. wheels.
I still like that look with the "balloon" tires.

Not a fan of 20 plus inch wheels and rubber band tires on a 4wd like we see nowadays.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Truck wheel styling is awful these days. There are so many of these black/machined monstrosities out there with skull emblems on the center caps and the like. I can't wait until this period of truck wheel styling is gone.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Truck wheel styling is awful these days. There are so many of these black/machined monstrosities out there with skull emblems on the center caps and the like. I can't wait until this period of truck wheel styling is gone.

QFT!

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score

You can really tell they are popular now though.you look in any mag that has a add for wheels (like tire rack ect) its 90% black wheels

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
Last 2 years I've ran black sve's, after going through Sema this year it seems like gold is the new black so I'm trying something a little different......

Here's a pic from last summer
9a79961c118a502da24a6ea51aaf82d3.jpg

Wheels now waiting for nice weather
36bc19cd1ac7103a47c68f3891244557.jpg

c4fb77863e84cbf32f2507f1e04e3a9f.jpg

Also wanted something very minimal to tie the wheel color to the car so I ordered a Bullitt grille and the chrome trim will be sporting the same gold as the wheels! We'll see, I'm very excited but skeptical as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Simple solution is to have a selection that you can change around from time to time.

SVT 18x9.5

Race Stars 17x7 front and 15x10 rear.

Vossen 20x9 and 20x10.5

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan either of the all black wheels but if I had them they would have to be the gloss black. The satin and matte reminds me of old steel wheels. Chrome looks good on certain cars but ya cant over do it, now I do have chrome wheels on my mustang and I think its looks good. My dads old 67 c10 had chrome rimes at on point when it was red but after the color changed to yellow we went polished cause the chrome looked out of place, guessin cause the yellow was so bright and the chrome works better on "darker" colors like my grabber orange. My dark blue s10 had polished wheels on it but I wished they made them in chrome cause to me they always looked dull no matter how much they were polished up.

Attachments

• m1_zpshzfkcli4.jpg
    m1_zpshzfkcli4.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 67chevy-3.jpg
    67chevy-3.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 67chevy1.jpg
    67chevy1.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 11

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole truck wheel deal is changing.

It used to be if you raised the truck, you put taller tires on 15 or 16 in. wheels.
I still like that look with the "balloon" tires.

Not a fan of 20 plus inch wheels and rubber band tires on a 4wd like we see nowadays.

Same here, I like some sidewall. That's one thing I like about my ranger, it still fits 15" wheels! Added bonus, 15" wheels are super cheap nowadays. Went a little old school with these wheels. I love the machined look. 32/11.50R15's. Not too many newer trucks can still run the old 15" flotation tires.
V1qXnKo.jpg

You can really tell they are popular now though.you look in any mag that has a add for wheels (like tire rack ect) its 90% black wheels

Well, referencing my earlier post- looked up wheels for a newer F150, 80%+ of them were black or mostly black.

Back