Black Wheel Craze ????

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the posts but my opinion is to buy a chrome wheel. You can always plastidip it later and make it black or black/chrome but you cannot go from black to chrome. It just gives you more options!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Chrome wheels are really fantastic when new, however once their exposed to stone chips, you pretty much have to get them re-chromed/re-finished just in order to get rid of the pit marks..

IMO, I would still think the pit marks would still be noticeable even after having them plasti-dipped, as the chip marks will still be there :shrug:

Personally IMHO, powder coating would offer the best overall resistance and protection from stone chipping/pitting..

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
I just said plastidip for reversibillity not because it was the greatest stuff haha

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
And I wasnt disagreeing, our purposes were just different lol Beat up chrome wheels do look bad, but if you cant decide on the color of the wheel you like, then you could always go back to chrome if you changed your mind.

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan either of the all black wheels but if I had them they would have to be the gloss black. The satin and matte reminds me of old steel wheels. Chrome looks good on certain cars but ya cant over do it, now I do have chrome wheels on my mustang and I think its looks good. My dads old 67 c10 had chrome rimes at on point when it was red but after the color changed to yellow we went polished cause the chrome looked out of place, guessin cause the yellow was so bright and the chrome works better on "darker" colors like my grabber orange. My dark blue s10 had polished wheels on it but I wished they made them in chrome cause to me they always looked dull no matter how much they were polished up.

See I like the chrome GT-500 Wheels in the first pic:clap:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
And I wasnt disagreeing, our purposes were just different lol Beat up chrome wheels do look bad, but if you cant decide on the color of the wheel you like, then you could always go back to chrome if you changed your mind.

Very true indeed :)

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
[QUOTE
Personally if my wheels are black, it'd better be because of brake dust. Means I've been driving the car instead of letting it sit there as a driveway ornament.

Norm[/QUOTE]

:clap:

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I got tired of chrome after a couple of years. Nothing wrong with them at all, and they do look good on some cars, but they're just played out for me.

Thinking about getting a polished lip on these wheels, since it's easier to keep clean..

_Q7V1681.jpg

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. I have chrome now and I'm tired of it. Getting new wheels but can't make up my mind on black, graphite, machines, chrome. They all look good if done right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. I have chrome now and I'm tired of it. Getting new wheels but can't make up my mind on black, graphite, machines, chrome. They all look good if done right

Chrome can always be made black!

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Chrome wheels are really fantastic when new, however once their exposed to stone chips, you pretty much have to get them re-chromed/re-finished just in order to get rid of the pit marks..

IMO, I would still think the pit marks would still be noticeable even after having them plasti-dipped, as the chip marks will still be there :shrug:

Personally IMHO, powder coating would offer the best overall resistance and protection from stone chipping/pitting..

I'd like to know where you live or what you do to chip up chrome wheels that way. I've owned a bunch of different chrome, painted and polished wheels and have never had chip marks at least not more than 1 or two per set of wheels. And they were very small usually. Even my racing wheels don't get enough damage to look bad at 10'.

MELLOWYELLOW06

forum member
Reaction score
It flows well with some colors.

I change my rims often but I always have a dark set to go to as it complements well.

28466471436_812ba1a8f4_h_zpsnxp1udwc.jpg

20161218_094052_zpszhpj3wn5.jpg

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to know where you live or what you do to chip up chrome wheels that way. I've owned a bunch of different chrome, painted and polished wheels and have never had chip marks at least not more than 1 or two per set of wheels. And they were very small usually. Even my racing wheels don't get enough damage to look bad at 10'.

Pittsburgh, PA, also known as Pot hole capital of the world lol. All j/k aside we have some of the worst road conditions in the U.S, as there's always road construction projects going on practically everywhere on the main roads and no matter how careful you are, you still end up getting stone chips anyhow..

And even when attempting to take an alternative route by taking the back roads, they're just as bad if not even worse.. What really sucks about these road construction projects more than anything else, is they do a half ass job by just throwing on a few patches here and there and then 6 months later go through the same process all over again.. So you just can't win no matter what.. At any rate, my next step is to look into having my current machined aluminum wheels powder coated which will hopefully be the solution I'm looking for :shrug:

Rusnak_322

Reaction score
Not a fan of black wheels. This is what came on my car, the previous owner painted them.

1279bf0d7382299b19c75a01339262c5.jpg

I prefer polished aluminum, but got a great deal on on these.

3e468e19d31329f2d9fd3257aadaee44.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
The only time I don't like chrome rims is when I'm cleaning them. Every other time I love them. I do like how easy is it to clean the black rims on the 06. At least they hide the dust and dirt. I've thought about going with black rims on my truck just for ease of maintenance. But the polished looks really good.

And my rims get plenty of dust on them. I'm just OCD about keeping them clean.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Pittsburgh, PA, also known as Pot hole capital of the world lol. All j/k aside we have some of the worst road conditions in the U.S, as there's always road construction projects going on practically everywhere on the main roads and no matter how careful you are, you still end up getting stone chips anyhow..

And even when attempting to take an alternative route by taking the back roads, they're just as bad if not even worse.. What really sucks about these road construction projects more than anything else, is they do a half ass job by just throwing on a few patches here and there and then 6 months later go through the same process all over again.. So you just can't win no matter what.. At any rate, my next step is to look into having my current machined aluminum wheels powder coated which will hopefully be the solution I'm looking for :shrug:

Makes sense. We have some bad roads here too, but I agree they're not big city street bad. Even our gravel roads are better than most big city streets. Lol

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
At least they hide the dust and dirt. I've thought about going with black rims on my truck just for ease of maintenance. But the polished looks really good.

And my rims get plenty of dust on them. I'm just OCD about keeping them clean.

Sometimes I think thats why they are so popular. that way they dont have to clean them.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Like MellowYellow said. They just go great with some colors. Other colors, not so much like this one:

69023d1348001849-image-3420104061.png

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back