BMR Springs and Steeda Top Mounts not getting along; thoughts?

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
Swapping from Ford P springs to BMR Handling springs today (the stiffer ones of BMR's). I have 2011+ Konis and the 2011+ Steeda camber plates.

Steeda camber plates come apart fairly easily if you don't let tension off the spring fairly gently and easily, but it wasn't a notable problem with the FRPP springs. But the BMR springs are shaped a bit differently at the top, and load up one side of the top mount a bunch before the other and cause the mount to separate on one side and end up all cockeyed. We've tried multiple times, decompressing the spring differently, and even installed them on the car and jacked the strut assembly up to see if the upper mount would compress back together and it simply won't.

Is this a known thing with the BMR springs not working with Steeda plates? Or are my springs possibly made wrong? Anyone have BMR Handling springs with some other camber plate that works fine with them? Never heard of this particular problem and now the car is going to be sitting for a couple days (unless I just put it all back together like it was before). Which I already put the P spring back on with the Steeda plate and the assembly went back together just fine; that to say we didn't screw anything up in the process I don't believe.

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
What finally worked was sending the springs back and reinstalling the FRPP P springs. :)

I called BMR and they said you just have to be very careful and let tension off the spring asymmetrically and slowly and it'll seat fine. I tried again, several different ways, and just couldn't get it to work.

Called Steeda, and they said they were familiar with the issue and with some springs the way they seat up top just doesn’t work with their mounts.

I’m not trying to say the BMR Handling springs will for sure not work with 2011-2014 Steeda upper mounts, but I could not figure it out myself. Which is unfortunate, as I really wanted to try those springs out. But my OEM mounts were jacked up from when I took them apart to put the upper spring perch on the Steeda mounts so I couldn’t even try them, and I didn’t want to have to order some other camber plate or new OEM upper mounts to make it all work. I’ve probably done 30 suspension jobs with stuff like this, so I’m not an amateur, but I’m not proclaiming myself an expert either. YMMV.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back