Thoughts on This Suspension - 2007 Mustang GT

Sigma6

Reaction score
Koni Adj. shock /struts, Steeda sway bars, BMR up/lower lca + phb, eibach sport springs. Makes for a enjoyable ride, least in my opinion.

3V Johnny

Reaction score
Well two year bump on this thread.

I have continued to go through the old girl with a fine tooth comb. And it was time to replace the suspension at around 83,000 mi.

Since the car is a semi daily but is never tracked, beaten, burnouts etc, I really wanted something that was comfortable but had a little bit better handling and good quality parts.

I put on Steeda jacking rails which I can't recommend enough for anyone working on their car. Makes such a nice difference being able to move the Jack and Jack stands and a lift in the future.

Up front I installed GT500 upper strut mounts, Moog replacement springs + Bilstein dampers and GT500 control arms. I went with the Moog springs because I am renting as I am watching for the right house, and really needed an assembly I could put on without having the car down and didn't want to deal with a spring compressor. A great local shop I use for state inspections compressed and assembled those for me for a great price so no complaints.

I added the Ford performance front control arm brace.

Out back I installed the GT500 lower control arms, with the Bilstein dampers.

Very happy with the ride, the front is still settling with the new factory replacement springs, but it is starting to come down more to where it was.

I also just scored a brand new set of roush rear lowering springs and got a great deal on a white line adjustable panhard bar. So I'll install that stuff when it arrives and have the car sitting maybe 3/4 of an inch lower in the rear which is all I want. And the suspension will be completely finished for the time being.

The only other mod I'd like to do on the suspension down the road, is the Ford Performance front and rear sway bar kits.

I am so impressed with the Bilstein dampers even with the factory springs. And from everything I've read over the years, many people have done the roush rear springs only and have been happy.

20230526_151815.jpg

20230526_122850.jpg

20230525_110349.jpg

AHaze

Reaction score
The only other mod I'd like to do on the suspension down the road, is the Ford Performance front and rear sway bar kits
If you're interested in a low dollar solution, find a takeoff GT500 24mm rear bar, perhaps give it some stiffer aftermarket links, and leave the stock front bar. Combined with a non-staggered tire setup, I found understeer to be greatly reduced with this setup. If you find the car is more tail-happy than you would like, an adjustable front bar can always be installed later to tune the balance to your preference.
IIRC, the track pack '10-'14 GTs also ran this rear bar. I think I paid $25 for mine.
I did end up installing an adjustable front bar later but only because I got it for next to nothing. It's on the softest setting and I may just go back to the stock bar with poly bushings some day.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Bilstien dampeners, the Eibach springs of your choice (I prefer Sportlines), and GT500 strut mounts with the mount orientation arrows installed "backwards"

After that I would look at the Eibach/SPC lower control arms and Maximum Motorsport LCA relo brackets
RTR adjustable upper control arm (Whiteline works too) with the Whiteline or RTR mount.
Eibach/SPC adjustable panhard bar
Eibach sway bar kit

Notice there isn't a single traditional poly joint in the bunch. Stay far away from stuff like the BMR control arms if you want a complaint and controlled suspension. You do not see BMR in any form of road course motorsports and winning.

There is no better street/sport suspension for the S197. If I can help with blueprinting or parts, feel free to reach out via PM

DieHarder

Reaction score
Bilstien dampeners, the Eibach springs of your choice (I prefer Sportlines), and GT500 strut mounts with the mount orientation arrows installed "backwards"

After that I would look at the Eibach/SPC lower control arms and Maximum Motorsport LCA relo brackets
RTR adjustable upper control arm (Whiteline works too) with the Whiteline or RTR mount.
Eibach sway bar kit

Notice there isn't a single traditional poly joint in the bunch. Stay far away from stuff like the BMR control arms if you want a complaint and controlled suspension. You do not see BMR in any form of road course motorsports and winning.

There is no better street/sport suspension for the S197. If I can help with blueprinting or parts, feel free to reach out via PM

I use exactly the same setup except Rousch springs in place of Eibach. Fully adjustable LCA's/F/R swaybars; extra bracing; urethane everywhere; etc... Bilsteins are by far the best handling strut/shock combination I've found to date for the street (and I've tried several).

3V Johnny

Reaction score
I use exactly the same setup except Rousch springs in place of Eibach. Fully adjustable LCA's/F/R swaybars; extra bracing; urethane everywhere; etc... Bilsteins are by far the best handling strut/shock combination I've found to date for the street (and I've tried several).
Nice set-up!

Eibach sway bar kit

Thanks for the post - I posted my set-up I ultimatelychose though. Bilstien dampers, GT500 Mounts, GT500 Front + Rear control arms. Rear will have Roush springs soon, stocks up front. Also will be installing a Whiteline Panhard bar Brace + Adjustable bar.

Love the ride and exactly what I wanted

3V Johnny

Reaction score
If you're interested in a low dollar solution, find a takeoff GT500 24mm rear bar, perhaps give it some stiffer aftermarket links, and leave the stock front bar. Combined with a non-staggered tire setup, I found understeer to be greatly reduced with this setup. If you find the car is more tail-happy than you would like, an adjustable front bar can always be installed later to tune the balance to your preference.
IIRC, the track pack '10-'14 GTs also ran this rear bar. I think I paid $25 for mine.
I did end up installing an adjustable front bar later but only because I got it for next to nothing. It's on the softest setting and I may just go back to the stock bar with poly bushings some day.

Sounds like a great find for that price no doubt!

GriffX

Reaction score
And, if your 07 has no engine undertray, get some 3 mm ABS, fill the gaps in front of the tires and find the engine undertray of the 11 for the gap between the radiator support and the axle K-member. And the k-support bracket.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I put this on my 05' GT...

Ford front engine lower splash shield 5R3Z-17626-BA

IMG_1224.HEIC.jpg

GriffX

Reaction score
I used the picture from Dino's page (@dino the Paris live performance of Bück Dich is gorgeous)

upload_2023-5-31_22-6-3.png

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yes mine is just the center section. Cost me $40 new from Ford.

This complete set up is much nicer but I don’t need all that underbelly coverage. Car is a 100% street.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back