BMR Watts Link WL005 (Impressions, weight, video vs PHB) TBA

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
It's in! [BMR Watts Link WL005]

Project completion on post #28

Disclaimer: While I welcome the PHB vs Watts debate, please make a new thread for this. This is just a place to share impressions on a new product. Feel free to chime in on your opinions on the design or if you got one what you think.

Got my pre-order batch#1 WL005 today. Figured I'd throw up some pics, the weight and a video of my PHB working on my go-to canyon road to be followed up by the same video of my watts (mainly because I think it will be interesting to see).

Will be useful to anyone searching/researching this part to have this info out there I think.

Video of my current PHB:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pF6O0PrxaTk

The watts, as you can see I got the poly ended. I think this end will do a good job locating the movement of the linkage to prevent rotation/twisting that I'm theorizing could be quite clanky.

teyq7Um.jpg

Without box and bags about 22lbs (for net you would weigh the PHB and brace (or aftermaket brace for comparable set-ups) This also includes hardware that doesnt touch the Watts at all, just fills in gaps where the PHB is now vacant.

iFhtaeW.jpg

Last edited:

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Working in and soaking the linkages with Amosil HD Metal Protector, cuz to not is to be asking for it

SFvvqxQ.jpg

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
This looks like it could be a really good tech thread. I'd love to see some footage from the same vantage point on the same road, with the same loading levels. That'll give us all a solid before/after comparison between the Watts and the PHB.

Should I assume no other mods planned for time being?

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
This looks like it could be a really good tech thread. I'd love to see some footage from the same vantage point on the same road, with the same loading levels. That'll give us all a solid before/after comparison between the Watts and the PHB.

Should I assume no other mods planned for time being?

I'll post a video that shows the same road with +/- same pace, then the original PHB video uncut so they can be compared side by side in real time.
Not sure my video editor can split screen side by side (VideoPad, it's free) so I can just upload both videos uncut and people can open them side by side or if someone wants to do a split screen edit I can send the footage.

Zero changes planned between this video and the watts linkage video.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome thread!

Just a heads up, a few kits got shipped with some bolts that were slightly too long (1.5" instead of 1.25") and also the propeller outboard mount being incorrect (the plate with the two sleeves that secures the prop - the sleeve length should be exactly 2.125"...but some people got shipped the GM version we have by accident which have approx. 2.75" long sleeves.

If you are tackling it this weekend, you can simply trim down the bolts that are too long, and you can shave down those sleeves to be 2.125" from the plate.

Really sorry about this if you experience it, and of course I'll send then out 2 day priority to you next week regardless, if you choose to mod the stuff or not.

Anyhow, can't wait to see your results ;)

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Awesome thread!

Just a heads up, a few kits got shipped with some bolts that were slightly too long (1.5" instead of 1.25") and also the propeller outboard mount being incorrect (the plate with the two sleeves that secures the prop - the sleeve length should be exactly 2.125"...but some people got shipped the GM version we have by accident which have approx. 2.75" long sleeves.

If you are tackling it this weekend, you can simply trim down the bolts that are too long, and you can shave down those sleeves to be 2.125" from the plate.

Really sorry about this if you experience it, and of course I'll send then out 2 day priority to you next week regardless, if you choose to mod the stuff or not.

Anyhow, can't wait to see your results ;)
I have 1.5" bolts and 2.75" sleeves.

latest

Oh wellz, next weekend it is.

I can see how the pivot/propeller being 2 1/8" wide would need the bracket sleeves to be exact at 2.125" to cradle the propeller well. And they should be flat on the end so as to not bind the delrin bushing. Being the weekend I only have simple air cut off tools and torches which I would only really want to use on the bolts not the sleeves.
Once I get into work I can borrow the mill, but then it's the work week and I wont have time to throw this baby in.

So sign me up for the mount with 2.125" sleeves and shorter bolts :cheersman:

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Without box and bags about 22lbs (for net you would weigh the PHB and brace (or aftermaket brace for comparable set-ups) This also includes hardware that doesnt touch the Watts at all, just fills in gaps where the PHB is now vacant.

iFhtaeW.jpg

Not as bad as I was fearing! Sounds like it'll end up just adding 5 or 10 pounds max.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Not as bad as I was fearing! Sounds like it'll end up just adding 5 or 10 pounds max.

I know, I was surprised. Things look a lot bigger and heavier in pictures than in the hand.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In for the videos.

What sway bar are you running? I'm concerned about what sway bars will and will not work with this unit.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
In for the videos.

What sway bar are you running? I'm concerned about what sway bars will and will not work with this unit.

OEM, i currently dont have interest in an aftermarket bar

Mounty09

Reaction score
Very interested to see how these compare. I hope I will be looking into one or the other in the near future.

claudermilk

Reaction score
:smiley-face-popcorn

Looking forward to updates on this. That weighed out about 10-15 lbs lighter than I was expecting.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Been looking forward to this. I plan on getting this when I return stateside along with some other goodies from BMR hehe...

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
In for the videos.

Since it was designed to work around an OEM bar, I would be shocked if it doesn't work with OEM routed bars and BMR's Extreme ARB. Probably wont work with the Whiteline unit for obvious reasons.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
CobraRed, I sent ya a message reply back on the BMR Support FB Page sir.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Figured it out, video will be split screen like this with the Watts to be layered on up top. Still 1080p total.

0KXmTR5.jpg

Taking suggestions

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Heads up, you should be getting a package either today or tomorrow with the correct bracket and bolts sir.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Heads up, you should be getting a package either today or tomorrow with the correct bracket and bolts sir.

Thanks Kelly, I'll look forward to it along with the rest of the stuff you're sending.

Last edited:

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
I weighed the BMR PHB + OEM brace and hardware that's no longer used, pretty much exactly 10lbs. An aftermarket brace to be comparable would weight slightly more.

So a max of 12lb increase, or <2 gallons of fuel.

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVsP-FX98lw&feature=youtu.be

Auto cross racers should pay attention to the 12min mark on. With my 1.7" drop and running a roll center 3 holes up, I'm using the 2nd hole from the bottom on the axle clamp brackets. If i were running 2 holes up I'd likely be using the bottom hole on the brackets - essentially maxing it out. So my guess is a 1.4-1.7" drop will make the 2nd hole out of 6 be your lowest roll center.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back