Boss 302 Intake has arrived. Fitment and dyno coming!!!!

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
There is more to the story about FR being really upset.. It also has to do with another vendor on here selling parts at cost, when their company isn't even direct with ford racing.

It sounds like Ford Racing is going to come out with a MAP pricing, and a couple other changes..

jsnyng

Reaction score
Please tell me you are kidding?

Trust me that I wish I was kidding. I also believed the Boss manifolds would be in stock this week, too. I feel like a sap now.

I dont even understand why they would mislead you about that, they sell the JLT and steeda intakes...

Me either. They sell both. I was willing to "pay to play" and be one of the first in my area to have the Boss intake so I bought the JLT because it was the "only" one that would work. There was so much more long-term $$$ potential from me over just a $449 intake. Oh well.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
We got the Boss stock airbox tube in today and fitted it. Perfect fit and we even reinstalled the sound tube just to see what it sounds like. Its fitted at the moment and the tune is being adjusted. I will report back later but doubt it will hit the dyno this week. I will do that as soon as we get back from vacation.

JJ

Last edited:

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
We got the Boss stock airbox tube in today and fitted it. Perfect fit and we even reinstalled the sound tube just to see what it sounds like. Its fitted at the moment and the tune is being adjusted. I will report back later but doubt it will hit the dyno this week. I will do that as soon as we get back from vacation.

JJ

Vacation!? WTF? Slacker!

:kidding:

Have fun and hurry back so we can see what's up with this piece as everyone else is having to hold their #'s back due to mags still not being in the 21st century.

Reaction score

JJ

Now i'm looking forward to these results. :clap:

This will show what is more restrictive. The upper plenum, or the air intake tubing.

Khell

Reaction score
Trust me that I wish I was kidding. I also believed the Boss manifolds would be in stock this week, too. I feel like a sap now.

Me either. They sell both. I was willing to "pay to play" and be one of the first in my area to have the Boss intake so I bought the JLT because it was the "only" one that would work. There was so much more long-term $$$ potential from me over just a $449 intake. Oh well.

That definately sucks man. But im sure you would be able to find someone who would be willing to buy it off you if you dont plan on using it. Hell i would if i wasnt about to move into my new place in march. Come April the modding will begin.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score

Thats why I don't understand it, I am sure after this you won't be feeling so rosy with them.

jsnyng

Reaction score
Thats why I don't understand it, I am sure after this you won't be feeling so rosy with them.

I guess I'm just a glutton for first year model (FYM) engines in cars.

I had the FYM 5.4L Triton V8 Expedition.
I had the FYM supercharged Grand Prix GTP.
I had the FYM LS1 SS Z28.
I had the FYM 222HP Nissan Maxima.
I had the FYM Hemi Dodge Ram.
I had the FYM G35 w/ 306hp engine.
I have the FYM 5.0L 4v Coyote Mustang.

All of the above got modded, and I paid a premium to have all of the go faster, look better parts on them. Never though, have I bought the same part (CAI) twice for the same car. I guess I'll learn one of these days.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score

JJ

Nice, looking forward to the results!

Kingcrabb

forum member
Reaction score

JJ

I love how stock that looks.
Is ford selling the Boss engine covers too? Im trying to mod my car and keep it as stock as possible "looking".

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I love how stock that looks.
Is ford selling the Boss engine covers too? Im trying to mod my car and keep it as stock as possible "looking".

Yes, kdanner posted the part numbers, but I don't remember which thread it was.

search for posts by kdanner and look through them. It is from the last few days.

Mustang92

Reaction score
There is more to the story about FR being really upset.. It also has to do with another vendor on here selling parts at cost, when their company isn't even direct with ford racing.

It sounds like Ford Racing is going to come out with a MAP pricing, and a couple other changes..

Sounds like Ford should be mad at themselves. One vendor had them for sale the cheapest at $399.99 and list from the Ford dealer was $330 and that was anyone who walked off the street price...that is hardly "at cost".

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like BBR rotated the whole JLT assembly a little bit and the filter is a little higher and the MAF sensor is lower. Notice how in JJ's picture the MAF is above the flat area in the front and BBR's is below.

BBR didn't use a angled coupler. It looks as though the straight coupler works better for fitment
You can mount the JLT better but you will have to cut a bit off the end and I didnt want to do that to ours. I like the lip it has on the end that helps secure the silicone adaptor and didnt want to get rid of that. I doubt our setup has any affect on it making power.

JJ
JJ, BBR didn't cut the intake. Having that angled coupler is sticking the MAF end up much higher then it should be. I think a 1" longer straight coupler may do the trick.
Also note, JPC just did some testing Saturday with the BOSS and JLT with 507 RWHP as the end result. I don't think the connection is a restriction ;)
I dont even understand why they would mislead you about that, they sell the JLT and steeda intakes...
Exactly,
BBR is a huge Steeda supporter, but they are also a JLT vendor. They tested fitment on both and came to the conclusion the JLT fit just fine as is.

Saying one fit better over the other isn't biased, just opinion. Those who have Steeda CAI's aren't going to run out and get JLT's (all though they should LOL Just kidding) or would it happen the other way around.

Again, I hope to have a manifold in my hands very soon, so I'll let you all know what's up with our kit and fitment

Thanks
Jay

jsnyng

Reaction score
...Those who have Steeda CAI's aren't going to run out and get JLT's...

Thanks
Jay

Oh really? I have a Steeda on the car now and a new JLT in the box in my garage right now.

Oh well, both will be for sale soon as I've decided "all motor" just isn't worth it for me. I'm choosing the easy way and getting a blower.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Saying one fit better over the other isn't biased, just opinion.

True, but that isn't what was said. The exact words were "The Steeda will not work". Big difference.

Claims were also made 13 days ago that the Boss intakes were "confirmed in transit", and said vendor's website still just has pre orders on there now.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
BBR didn't use a angled coupler. It looks as though the straight coupler works better for fitment

JJ, BBR didn't cut the intake. Having that angled coupler is sticking the MAF end up much higher then it should be. I think a 1" longer straight coupler may do the trick.
Also note, JPC just did some testing Saturday with the BOSS and JLT with 507 RWHP as the end result. I don't think the connection is a restriction ;)

Jay

I never said BBR cut the intake, I said I didnt want to cut the intake as I liked the lipped end on mine but cutting it would make it fit alot better. Cutting the down angle from the end would have made it fit alot better. I tried mounting it several different ways and the way that it physically fits the best as is makes the filter move up and the elbow move up as well and the filter hit the hood so I used the angled silicone adaptor and it fit great.

I now have the stock airbox back in the car with the Boss elbow and a K&N drop in so when I get back from vacation that setup will be run at the track for comparison as well as the JLT unit. :thumb:

JJ

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
LOL,
I know what you said and didn't say.
What I'm saying is BBR didn't have to cut the intake for it to fit and you said you would have needed to.

Back