Boss intake installed but getting P1289

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Getting P1289 after installing boss intake, what didn't I do?

edit: looked behind the heads, everything appears to be fine.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'll ask the obvious regarding a tune. Did you have it retuned?

You know, thats what I'm thinking. I had emailed Jon Lund a few days ago prior to installing the intake requesting a retune. He stated my previous tune was already calibrated for the boss intake.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
You know, thats what I'm thinking. I had emailed Jon Lund a few days ago prior to installing the intake requesting a retune. He stated my previous tune was already calibrated for the boss intake.

That would be unusual IMO. If your stock intake and the Boss intake run on the same tune that would be a waste of money IMO.

Surely it requires a change in the tune between the 2 intakes. Mine required retuning going from the OEM to FRPP intake.

From GOOGLE:
Possible Causes
Harness or connectors (The A/F sensor 1 circuit is open or shorted.)
Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1
Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 heater
Fuel pressure
Fuel injector
Intake air leaks
Exhaust gas leaks
PCV
Mass air flow sensor

Certainly looks like the tune needs adjusting if everything is hooked up correctly.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
That would be unusual IMO. If your stock intake and the Boss intake run on the same tune that would be a waste of money IMO.

Surely it requires a change in the tune between the 2 intakes. Mine did going from the OEM to FRPP intake.

He had just stated no retune required.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Might want to call him again.
I don't see how it wouldn't need a re-tune and why would he tune your car for a boss intake that you didn't have?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Look at the possible causes I listed

I would suggest the obvious again and go back over the install and make sure all connections are secure AND correct in orientation. Other than proper install and the possiblity of needing a tune, this mod should be as easy as putting gas in the car.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

And he was correct in telling you that. With the front 02's being wideband sensors you don't need a retune when installing the boss intake. Now there will probably be others chime in and say you do need a retune but in reality you don't. Did you use the same CAI you were using before? If not then you would need a retune.

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard, that with the factory widebands and commanded A/F ratios there was some flexibility in the tuning. When I went from the boss intake back to stock my a/f did not fluctuate. Hopefully one of the vendors will answer this for us.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Look at the possible causes I listed

I would suggest the obvious again and go back over the install and make sure all connections are secure AND correct in orientation. Other than proper install and the possiblity of needing a tune, this mod should be as easy as putting gas in the car.

Went over everything, cannot seem to find a disconnected or torn harness etc

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I would be surprised if there is that much adaptive learning available from the PCM between the two intakes but stranger things have happened.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I've heard, that with the factory widebands and commanded A/F ratios there was some flexibility in the tuning. When I went from the boss intake back to stock my a/f did not fluctuate. Hopefully one of the vendors will answer this for us.

Here you go fellas. This guy just proved what I said. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Weeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, this mod is not like changing cranks or heads, soooooooooooooooooooooo, you remove the old, put on the new, start the car.

Now, why is his car throwing a P1289 code if this mod is so easy and doesnt need a tune?

Dirty MAF? or you have missed something in the install. Make sure the fuel rails are pushed down all the way and secured properly. Make sure the injectors are in the correct orientation and secured properly as well.

Torqued down correctly? hoses tightly clamped?

#8 piston still in the hole? Ooops, couldn't help myself...LOL

Reaction score
Sorry, i don't care what he says. I would still do some datalogging and/or throw it on a dyno for good measure.

You sure you put the MAF sensor in right? :x

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Well appearently shining a flashlight on it and calling it dirty names fixes the issue.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Sorry, i don't care what he says. I would still do some datalogging and/or throw it on a dyno for good measure.

You sure you put the MAF sensor in right? :x

Baknblk has spoken bro.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back