Boss intake installed but getting P1289

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Baknblk has spoken bro.

Whatever bro. You always have some smartass remark to make when 99% of the time you make a post you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I'll let you make the next post so you can feel like you were right again. OK

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've also heard before that you can swap the manifolds and run the same tune.

I was gonna suggest the flashlight and 4-letter word trick, but you already got it.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So I guess what Jon told you was correct about not needing that retune. I'm glad you got it worked out. So can you tell any loss in the low end torque with the new intake?
with the 3.73s I don't feel anything different except over 7000. I feel the power just carries.

WTFchuck

forum member
Reaction score
comon everyone knows lund is god when it comes to tuning

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
comon everyone knows lund is god when it comes to tuning

I think his track record supports the notion he is the premier 5.0 tuner in the country.

Who tuned the quickest 5.0 on the planet?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Whatever bro. You always have some smartass remark to make when 99% of the time you make a post you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I'll let you make the next post so you can feel like you were right again. OK

99% huh? 99% huh? that is almost 100%, that's pretty amazing I think your talent for statistics is unparalleled.
Why don't you search my posts and see if your made up statistic makes sense.
When they don't I accept your apology in advance.

I'm a nice guy like that you see? :beerdrink: are you related to lund btw?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Personally, I think you needed to do the typical idle learn strategy for the new intake. If you didn't, that's probably why it threw the code and it took you starting it/driving it to learn the new idle.

I've loaded a new tune and then had to take off without doing the idle learn and got a code. Don't remember if it was this one, but it took 20 minutes of driving for it to go out.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
if only that method solved everything.

Well, there is/was always PLAN B

SledgeHammer.jpeg

:lol2:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Personally, I think you needed to do the typical idle learn strategy for the new intake. If you didn't, that's probably why it threw the code and it took you starting it/driving it to learn the new idle.

I've loaded a new tune and then had to take off without doing the idle learn and got a code. Don't remember if it was this one, but it took 20 minutes of driving for it to go out.

Did all of that, I actually reloaded the tune, since I had taken 2 degrees of timing out, but since I am going to the track today and run a few gallons of VP100 in the tank I figured I'd put those 2 degrees back in.

Let it idle for 10 minutes, then with the AC on. Drove it for 30 minutes, code still would not go away. So I shined a flashlight behind the heads, cursed at it a little bit for burning my hands a little (nothing serious), tighten every connector I could, and voila it worked!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You know, thats what I'm thinking. I had emailed Jon Lund a few days ago prior to installing the intake requesting a retune. He stated my previous tune was already calibrated for the boss intake.

That's a bit confusing, if there is no calibration required between the stock intake and the boss intake how was it calibrated for the boss intake?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
That's a bit confusing, if there is no calibration required between the stock intake and the boss intake how was it calibrated for the boss intake?

Increased redline is what I would assume and most likely MAF tables past 7000 rpm that coincide with the Boss intake. I did hear there is one setting that needs to be enabled for the Boss intake but if left turned on for the stock intake makes absolutely no difference either. What setting that is I do not know.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Increased redline is what I would assume and most likely MAF tables past 7000 rpm that coincide with the Boss intake. I did hear there is one setting that needs to be enabled for the Boss intake but if left turned on for the stock intake makes absolutely no difference either. What setting that is I do not know.

That would make sense to take advantage of the new found upper rpm power with the boss intake. So to maximize the output of your new mod which is the boss intake there are some updates that should be done in the tune.

Now there will probably be others chime in and say you do need a retune but in reality you don't.
So I guess what Jon told you was correct about not needing that retune.

^you are correct for not NEEDING a tune, but I think and update for the new mod with the said changes would be a benefit. But again you know way more then me when it comes to Mr. lund.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
That would make sense to take advantage of the new found upper rpm power with the boss intake. So to maximize the output of your new mod which is the boss intake there are some updates that should be done in the tune.

^you are correct for not NEEDING a tune, but I think and update for the new mod with the said changes would be a benefit.

I guess it really depends on the tuner's style. Some tuners have a write it once and forget it mentality (unless data logging proves otherwise) where they can go in, disable the rear O2's in preparation of an off road pipe install (this wouldnt hurt anything with a catted pipe), go in and increase the redline to 7800 with the MAF tables to support a boss intake (even with a stock intake).

Some tuners may not have that forsight to do that and want you to keep coming back for those other features. My tuning experience was with GM LSx engines, and with those every little mod required changes to VE, MAF voltages, running air flow tables and PE.

I feel with the Coyote 5.0 having front wideband O2 sensors, and it's PCM having the ability to make ranged calibration changes on the fly by basically trying to follow it's commanded AFR and using the widebands to hunt for it, it gives a greater range of adaptability we haven't seen yet in previous Ford mod motor series.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
Does every thread on this board HAVE to have a Lund bash in it?

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
You'd swear that Lund was out banging wives, the way that some guys talk shit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back