Brake booster replacement

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
Any tips or suggestions? Anyone done that before? Is there a DIY or step by step?? Please help as I will be changing it out end of this week or next Monday.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its pretty easy---there are four bolts under the dash above the brake pedal and one to the brake pedal arm. If you are replacing with another stock one it should be pretty straight forward. When you bleed the brakes, start with the passenger rear, then driver rear, pass front, then driver front.

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
Its pretty easy---there are four bolts under the dash above the brake pedal and one to the brake pedal arm. If you are replacing with another stock one it should be pretty straight forward. When you bleed the brakes, start with the passenger rear, then driver rear, pass front, then driver front.

Do I have to bleed the brakes???

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
So after I take 4 bolts off and disconnect it from the pedal, what's the next step, it has to come out from the engine bay right? What do I do with brake lines?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You disconnect the brake lines----ergo why you need to fill the new master cylinder and bleed the brakes.

Here is what the master cylinder/brake booster looks like when you remove it. You can plainly see the four studs that go into the firewall, and the arm that bolts to the arm of the brake pedal.

Mastercylinder.jpg

Last edited:

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Haynes manual at any parts store. Also, you will need to remove the master cylinder from booster before or after removing booster. And, bench bleed the master cylider before installing all parts. If this sound to much you might just spend the $$ and have a shop do it.

AND....MAKE SURE YOU ALIGHN THE MASTER CYLINDER TO BOOSTER SHAFT INORDER TO NOT DAMAGE YOUR MASTER CYLINDER.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
So after I take 4 bolts off and disconnect it from the pedal, what's the next step, it has to come out from the engine bay right? What do I do with brake lines?
YES..After you remove the master cylinder.

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
Haynes manual at any parts store. Also, you will need to remove the master cylinder from booster before or after removing booster. And, bench bleed the master cylider before installing all parts. If this sound to much you might just spend the $$ and have a shop do it.

AND....MAKE SURE YOU ALIGHN THE MASTER CYLINDER TO BOOSTER SHAFT INORDER TO NOT DAMAGE YOUR MASTER CYLINDER.
oh man sounds like I will spend some time on that, shop qoted me over $400 for it, my buddy sad its a fairly easy job....

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
oh man sounds like I will spend some time on that, shop qoted me over $400 for it, my buddy sad its a fairly easy job....
You can get a M/C booster for under $200. Labor should be no more than 1.5 hr's. That would put it in the $400 range with tax. If they qouted you $400 just for labor laugh and comment your not paying for tech training bill and walk out. Any good tech should be able to do it in an hr. I did and I'm not a tech.

But techs are like doctors, lawyers and the such. A lot of bad ones and few good ones. When you find a good one stay with'em.

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
You can get a M/C booster for under $200. Labor should be no more than 1.5 hr's. That would put it in the $400 range with tax. If they qouted you $400 just for labor laugh and comment your not paying for tech training bill and walk out. Any good tech should be able to do it in an hr. I did and I'm not a tech.

But techs are like doctors, lawyers and the such. A lot of bad ones and few good ones. When you find a good one stay with'em.

$400 job completed. I found brake booster for $70, so I will go ahead and try to do it myself

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
$400 job completed. I found brake booster for $70, so I will go ahead and try to do it myself
$70...junk yard? There are plenty s197's parts around now, forgot about that. If you have worked on cars or other mechanical stuff, with the Haynes manual and taking your time you should be able to complete no problem. It aint rocket science justa attention to detail.

Good Luck.

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
$70...junk yard? There are plenty s197's parts around now, forgot about that. If you have worked on cars or other mechanical stuff, with the Haynes manual and taking your time you should be able to complete no problem. It aint rocket science justa attention to detail.

Good Luck.
Where can I get Haynes manual?

madrussian

T-101
Reaction score
Done! Took me about 3 hours and about $70 total! Didn't have to bleed brakes, didn't disconnect any of the brake lines. Car stops on the dime now!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back