Brake dust out of control - which replacements?

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
+1 on the hawk.

i use HPS's as well as rimwax..

all water here. hardly ever have to actually clean them

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah had hawks HPS on my 05 with awesome results and recently switched to them on my 08 gt500 with incredible results as well

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
The Hawk ceramics will dust less than the HPS, which is a higher performance pad. The HPS tends to make a rust colored dust. It is not bad on the chrome wheels on my car, but it sticks to the wheels on my girlfriend's jeep pretty bad.

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
I use to have brake cooler but now I moded them to blow off the brake dust works great .

MJJ

forum member
Reaction score
surprised no one mentioned the cmax gold cermaics from autozone... check them out

Agree with Zporta. Quality ceramic pad that is less expensive.

I had a high end detailer actually use a product call more shine on my wheels on my pc textured black wheels. i didn't know about until after he had done it.

I will tell you that is the best they have ever looked and i have used damn near everything previously. Just have to spray it on in the garage with the door down or you will get overspray.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Ceramics do dust less than other pad types. But they don't have quite as much 'bite' as a performance street pad such as the HPS pads mentioned several times.

HPS pads will generate a little dust - I have them on three of my cars at the moment - but it doesn't seem to accumulate very fast at all and washes off easily. And that's with some really hard 55-ish to zero braking thrown in at least once a day.

Norm

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Might be ordering a set of hawk hps pads from jarrod later today. Do I have to swap both front and rears if I'm doing the fronts? Or is just swapping the fronts ok? I plan on flushing the brake fluid and replacing it also since my car is at 91k miles

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'd swap both sets so that the front vs rear braking behavior remains consistent as the pads heat up. You wouldn't want the pads at one end approaching the point of fade as the pads at the other end were starting to get really grippy.

Norm

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd swap both sets so that the front vs rear braking behavior remains consistent as the pads heat up. You wouldn't want the pads at one end approaching the point of fade as the pads at the other end were starting to get really grippy.

Norm

Thanks norm. Going to place my order in a bit then. What brake fluid do you recommend I re-fill with? Motul rbf600? Daily driven street car for now

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
RBF is probably a little more than you'll need in street driving unless you live in the hills and/or drive like you're on the track. But since it's not all that much more expensive than the 350°-ish wet boiling point fluids you'll find at any of the mass-market auto supply stores, you might as well.

Norm

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking of just going with the dot 3 amsoil fluid now if Greg can get that for me. Is the dot 3 better for my needs?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Dunno, the wet boiling point of their Series 500 DOT3 fluid isn't all that impressive. Especially when you can find fluid that's rated higher than that on the mass-market auto store shelves for about the same $.

Their Series 600 DOT4 stuff looks to be a LOT better.

Norm

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
For those who have the ceramics, how do they feel compaired to the oem pads?

Have any of you taken your car to the track with them and if so how did they hold up?

I hate the dust of the oem but I will live with it if the ceramics can't equal the stock pads.

I was thinking of going with the ebc blue pads but then those are supposed to be high dust too and expensive.

kato

Reaction score
I've now got 2k miles on the car, and the only disappointment is the massive amount of brake dust these cars get. I can wash the rims/car, take it to work and back (30 mile round trip) and the rims - mainly the front - are already brown. Another few trips and the rims look like a 4x4 truck. Terrible pads from the factory. I actually can feel flakes of iron in the brake dust.

What are you guys switching to? I'm ok spending a little coin on some good pads, but please don't recommend pads that are $150-200 per axle. I'm just not going to spend that much for a street car.

Thanks.
Go with "Ceramic" Pads, the Brand doesn't really make a differance.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Just installed CMAX Gold from Autozone
Great street pad. No dust

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back