Brakes and Rotors

MW303

Reaction score
Didn't see a topic for this, but I will be doing swapping out the brakes on my 08 for the 1st time. I still wana use the same type brake pads, but I want to change the rotors to something different but not too expensive. What ate you guys using? Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I wanted something to replace my rusted stockers. I picked up a set of coated ATL slotted rotors and love them. Been on there about 10k miles an still no rust.
v0R1lmj.jpg

Here's a pic before the coating wore off the braking surface.

46addict

Reaction score
This is not tech so get ready for it to be moved.
OEM parts are hard to beat for a street car. Any reason you don't want to use a Motorcraft replacement?
If you're going for the drilled/slotted look and have no intentions of putting it on a track, these are a good deal: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-61086-KIT/...=MFdNjS1d_pcrid_10805873527_pkw__pmt_be_pdv_c

These have been on my car for about 7 years and I haven't had any issues with cracking or excessive pad wear. But this car does not see much dragstrip use and I've yet to put it on a road course.

MW303

Reaction score
I wanted something to replace my rusted stockers. I picked up a set of coated ATL slotted rotors and love them. Been on there about 10k miles an still no rust.
v0R1lmj.jpg

Here's a pic before the coating wore off the braking surface.
Sweet how much did that set up run you about? And were did you purchase?

OEM parts are hard to beat for a street car. Any reason you don't want to use a Motorcraft replacement?
If you're going for the drilled/slotted look and have no intentions of putting it on a track, these are a good deal: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-61086-KIT/...=MFdNjS1d_pcrid_10805873527_pkw__pmt_be_pdv_c

These have been on my car for about 7 years and I haven't had any issues with cracking or excessive pad wear. But this car does not see much dragstrip use and I've yet to put it on a road course.
No big reason, but I am going to add more power in the future so I figured oem is only best if it's stock. I do plan on taking it to the track this summer but it's also my daily car. And nice I also heard slotted is better than drilled

And thanks man defenetly going to look into that

Last edited by a moderator:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
$105 for the rears and $125 for the fronts. Got em Amazon so free shipping.

46addict

Reaction score
No big reason, but I am going to add more power in the future so I figured oem is only best if it's stock. I do plan on taking it to the track this summer but it's also my daily car. And nice I also heard slotted is better than drilled

For real track brakes I would go with GT500 take offs, but that's just me.
Others (including myself) have used performance pads (Carbotech, EBC, etc) on otherwise stock brakes with good results.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is zero benefit to "upgrading" rotors unless you're doing repeated heavy braking in a track environment. If you like the look of it, fine. But don't act like you're getting any performance benefit out of it other than a lighter wallet.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
The only reason I did it was for appearance. Spend the money to have nice lookin wheels only to have the rotors look like shit just wasn't gonna cut it for me.

blister55

Reaction score
For the track I use (and burn through) Centric rotors from Vorschlag. Depending on the track you may find that stock brakes just won't cut it no matter what fluid pad or rotor you use. I eventually put Brembos and 14's on mine, and still had to run cooling ducts with Boss scoops stuffed into the lower grill. Track work in Mustangs will likely not work out well if you are trying to use same gear for drive home. My stock stuff (with race pads) was a smoking heap in 8 laps but Summit Point has a few very hard braking zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
For real track brakes I would go with GT500 take offs, but that's just me.
Others (including myself) have used performance pads (Carbotech, EBC, etc) on otherwise stock brakes with good results.

Agree on bigger brakes and also include Stoptech on the list of pads.

For the track I use (and burn through) Centric rotors from Vorschlag. Depending on the track you may find that stock brakes just won't cut it no matter what fluid pad or rotor you use. I eventually put Brembos and 14's on mine, and still had to run cooling ducts with Boss scoops stuffed into the lower grill. Track work in Mustangs will likely not work out well if you are trying to use same gear for drive home. My stock stuff (with race pads) was a smoking heap in 8 laps but Summit Point has a few very hard braking zones.

This as well. Centric/Stoptech rotors are as good a value you can find. Great rotors for very decent price. Rockauto usually has them as well.

Slotted and drilled don't add much/anything for performance, but slotted would be better than drilled if you're going to go in one of those directions.

077tango

Reaction score
brakes

Recently, for the front, installed centric rotors and stoptech pads. Great prices on Amazon and received within a week. Will do the same combination on the back next month.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
When I put the blower on I soon realized I would need better brakes. The stock brakes were fading after repeat abuse, one run had me pucker up when I was coming off the freeway after a 4th gear pull. I should have had plenty of time to brake, but by the time I was down to 60 I was damn near standing on the brake pedal and wasn't getting any more out of them. Went on ebay and found a set of GT500 takeoffs and '13 GT500 rear's. Although the rears have little impact on braking performance, the 13.9" rotors look great and fill the void in the rear wheels quite well. The front Brembo's do great work over stock. They take all the abuse I can throw at them.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a set of zinc coated, slotted rotors (for looks) from TPS Motorsports for $259 shipped. Got some pads elsewhere but I forget what brand I bought. I don't need either right now but the rotors were a good deal and the pads were on sale.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Been using the cryo treated centric rotors for several years now. Cryo is supposed to help them from going out of round by hardening the rotor more. I dunno, sounds good though. They will eventually rust though. Just got done taking mine off and cleaning all the rust off the edges and rubbing some Corrosion X there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back