Budget motor/turbo build thread

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Well I've started my 3v budget motor/turbo build. Goal with this car is a DD with modest HP that can put up some decent numbers at my local test and tune. Motor will be as follows:
Boss 302 rods
Ross 6cc dish Pistons (9:8)
BBR stage 1 cams
Refreshed heads (valve job, clean up)
New timing kit from ford racing
New TTY hardware

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 21

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Also can anyone tell me how to embed picture into my post? Lol they come out all side ways

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I use imgur and the html code to imbed from there.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Interested in watching this build! I love the word "budget"; I'm just a poh boy myself and have to ration my monies carefully. I've gotten lucky here and on Craigslist recently and have been able to pick up some goodies but an engine build is still off in the distance. I look forward to seeing how well you do on the dyno and in the seat of the pants. Good luck!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"Budget" noun; BS word we toss around to justify the copious amount of money and time we spend on our cars.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
The funniest thing is that the "FedEx" driver that did the bodywork on my driverside was in a Budget rental truck! Heh heh... Annnd now I'm crying...

Edit: sorry for the derailment. I'll try to watch this thread quietly! :hijacked:

Last edited:

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm going to be using a 70mm on 3 kit so i'm unsure of the power level. I was planning on running stock valve springs with those cams unless that is not a good idea?
teunoeq.jpg

sAXpOk6.jpg

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the damage on contact patch of the heads/piston. No damage on the sealing surface where the gasket goes. My machine shop says that they can just knock down the edges and call it good.
vJYbAHe.jpg

48LZzeP.jpg

A8RKmcJ.jpg

l2SckrS.jpg

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Are you cleaning up the heads as in literally cleaning them or are you going to do some home porting? I ask because I'm interested in doing some home porting myself (mostly just for the experience to be honest) and would like to hear someone else's experiences. Thanks for the thread so far and the good pics! I love engine work!

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Machine shop is doing a valve job. I thought about de burring the ports but I couldn't really find any bad casting marks.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Yeah, the few photos I've seen so far the heads look pretty clean. Not the beauty of the clean CNC jobs I've seen but still pretty clean. Have you looked into port matching? I haven't yet but will get to that soon. Never seen real ones off the car though; they may already be close from the factory. Anyways, I hope to do my budget engine build next year. Unless I win the lottery and then it's getting twin turbos just because. :clap:

Can't wait to see how this turns out for you bro! Good luck!

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks!!! And from what I've read / people I've talked to it seems like head work is not really going to help me out in any significant way

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Here is the specs on the cams
227/233 .050" duration, .480/.480 lift, 114 LSA.

are these cams to much for the stock springs? Also how do you think these will perform with a turbo?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its more the boost than the cam spec. The springs have to overcome pressure opening and closing. You will want upgraded valve springs going north of around 12psi.

They are ok for turbo use. For 500-600hp or less and for the best overall power curve stock 3v cams work great. You will sacrifice some lowend spool with the 114 lsa, loose some midrange torque from the extra exhaust duration and pick up some peak power up top from the increased valve lift.

Billet oil pump gears are a must for insurance on any motor build imo. 2013 gt500 pump with the stronger billet backing plate and the billet gears would be optimal.

Stock heads are plenty for a turbo car. Unless you feel the extra money is worth a little power, don't bother imo.

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
interested in what the budget total will be and the gains. I have read builds vs buying built and usually the savings is not much. I always like to see a turbo build.

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of tick flow 15410-24 springs! Hopefully that helps

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back