Built LARRY_H motor blown up

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got the news today that my motor is toast. Compression on Passenger Side is between 60-80 psi. and it failed a Leak Down Test on both banks. About to start another 302 Stroker build as parts started getting gathered today.

I guess 21 psi. on pump gas was to much with 9.3:1 Compression. Guy said top of pistons were damaged and he is going to start pulling motor apart next week. I just hope I didn't damage the Livernois St. 3 heads.

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
Sorry about your motor and forgive me for asking, but why would you run 21 psi with 93 octane?

G.T

Reaction score
i wasn't surprised to see "LARRY_H" and "motor blown up" in one sentence.. but i think 21PSI on pump gas is pushing it, regardless who's the builder, crook or not :)

it's always a bummer though, good luck with the rebuild.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think it was only a matter of time regardless of the boost but i agree your insane at 21psi on 93 octane lol

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear..Was the 21psi a street tune or a race only tune?

Tom

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Def sorry to hear that buddy. Ive been there a many times. No matter the reason for the failure; it is never fun.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything at all

Tom

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sucks man, good luck on the new build

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Yeah you need some higher octane for that kind of boost. Especiallyif the AIT's start getting up there. What kind of timing were you running on the 93 octane tune?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've been through that several times and it sucks. But really, 21 lbs on pump...lol. Honestly what did you (or they) expect?

It's like saying, "I walked across coals and got burned!". Yeah, that's what happens in the real world.

Anyway, 21 lbs on pump is rediculous. I don't care who you are, or how good you can tune, or who's done it before you. It's not going to last.

Looks like you're already on the road to recovery though. Better luck with this one, eh.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
+1............Really, what did you expect?
But really, 21 lbs on pump...lol. Honestly what did you (or they) expect?

It's like saying, "I walked across coals and got burned!". Yeah, that's what happens in the real world.

Anyway, 21 lbs on pump is rediculous. I don't care who you are, or how good you can tune, or who's done it before you. It's not going to last.

Last edited by a moderator:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I expect the next motor to hold it also, I believe the damage was done when I had a fuel pump go out on me at 7200 rmp at the track. We are changing a couple things with the fuel system to better combat an lean spikes and going to go after it again. If this one blows up then I will turn the car to drag only with a 565 BB Ford in it. The heads may not be damaged so that will save me some coin there if they can just be freshened up. The new motor will be ran at 21 psi. 16* timing for the Street Tune and 21 psi. and 23*-25* timing for the race.

So next question: Who has dealt with Saleen 302 Rotating Assemblies? I am purchasing a new aluminum block and getting the Saleen 302 stuff. It has a Kellog Crank, Manly Rods, and Manly Pistons. Atleast that is what I thought I heard when on the phone with the builder. Any Pros or Cons about this setup? I was told the compression ratio is 8.8:1 but not 100% sure about that either.

I hate being offshore when I need to research parts as the internet sucks ass out here.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
+1 to all the 21psi on pump gas comments. :crazy:

I pulley mine back to 12-14psi on the street. Can't use all that power on the street anyway.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back