Built LARRY_H motor blown up

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure that is why I am asking, I was told it was a 8.8:1 but never heard of the Saleen 302 Rotating Assembly. It actually sounds like an 03-04 Cobra Rotating Assembly just with a Stroker Crank. I will see if I can dig something up on it tonight to see exactly what I will have.

I will take the lower boost into consideration but I do not want to have to make a pulley change at the track. I know it only takes a few minutes but I have to move an idler around.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea the pulley change can be done in less than 4 minutes, and moving the idler is a 2 minute job. for 6 minutes invested, cheap reliable insurance

usafimj

Reaction score
KB you can just sell me your stage III heads on the cheap. You know you want some RGR heads for this new build.....lol

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the motor. Goodluck with the rebuild. I looked at all the RGR stuff for my rebuild...all I can say is $$$$$ but it's good stuff.

benjytps

forum member
Reaction score
The damage was not a result of 21 psi and 93 octane nor was it due to the builder. He had a fuel problem on the big end of the track and thats what hurt the engine. It still runs and drives and leaves around 200' tire tracks at a 40 mph roll. (I remeasured KB)

This next combo will be even stronger faster and the fuel issue is resolved.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The damage was not a result of 21 psi and 93 octane nor was it due to the builder. He had a fuel problem on the big end of the track and thats what hurt the engine. It still runs and drives and leaves around 200' tire tracks at a 40 mph roll. (I remeasured KB)

This next combo will be even stronger faster and the fuel issue is resolved.

how little you know about larry_H.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mine still ticks, literally. i didnt like that noise so i replaced it

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
benjytps is correct it had to be done from lost fuel pump at 1/8 mile, I didn't notice till almost 1000' mark and fuel pressure was 17 psi. Car sputtered a little and I got out of it but it had to be to late. I may go on side of caution this time with boost and pump gas but not decided yet.

Benjy I will be calling you Sunday or Monday, We are going Big Bore this time. I also think those were longer than 200' maybe 200 yards.

I am also sending you an email.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
I've been through that several times and it sucks. But really, 21 lbs on pump...lol. Honestly what did you (or they) expect?

It's like saying, "I walked across coals and got burned!". Yeah, that's what happens in the real world.

Mythbusters proved you can do it and not get burned.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
The new motor will be ran at 21 psi. 16* timing for the Street Tune and 21 psi. and 23*-25* timing for the race.
You run 16 degrees timing with pump gas at 21 psi you'll eventually end up with another pile of aluminum.

So next question: Who has dealt with Saleen 302 Rotating Assemblies? I am purchasing a new aluminum block and getting the Saleen 302 stuff. It has a Kellog Crank, Manly Rods, and Manly Pistons. Atleast that is what I thought I heard when on the phone with the builder. Any Pros or Cons about this setup? I was told the compression ratio is 8.8:1 but not 100% sure about that either.
The Saleen low compression pistons are 9.4:1 compression. You'd have to have custom pistons if you wanted lower compression. Pricey.

Aren't the Saleen rotating assemblies high compression?
High compression: 10.6:1. Low compression: 9.4:1.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok SD the next one will be at 15*:thumb2:

to be serious it will be a safer tune and probably a safer boost for the street. I may go to 17 psi. since that is what it was making on 3" pulley and just put 2.75" pulley on for track.

Hell is DOB from Modular Fords comes out with dedicated KB belt drive I will slap one of them on there and it would be an even quicker pulley change.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the larry h motors were and still areall ticking timebombs.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to throw off the thread, but does anyone have the cliff notes to what all this Larry H stuff is about? I remember a while back he was on modfords, and he was building a few motors, but then went to Europe or something. Was the motors he built all crap? What was wrong with them?

Boozshey

Reaction score
Not to throw off the thread, but does anyone have the cliff notes to what all this Larry H stuff is about? I remember a while back he was on modfords, and he was building a few motors, but then went to Europe or something. Was the motors he built all crap? What was wrong with them?

+1:thumb2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back