Burn out with automatic

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get it going in 1st, when you are up the rpm's, shift to 2nd. Depending on what tire you are using will depend how long you heat them up. But most drag radials need a 5000 and up rpm burtnout in 2nd gear for a good 6-8 seconds for them to be 100% effective..

stanggirl

Reaction score
You using a stock auto? When i use to race Ken Bjonnes mustang i just did my burn out in drive.. always worked for me. when i built my own hot rod i put a 3 speed AOD in, i start it in 2nd and keep the rpms around 5,000ish. I was told that starting in 1st and going to 2nd could possibly shatter 1st gear in those AOD's.. im no tranny expert so im not sure how true that is, but im scared to try it and have my shit break. lol

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I always left it in drive and floored it til I thought they were hot enough. Never had any issues with mine

zipperhead

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

I sent a note to my trans builder and he recommended starting out in first and shifting to second on my 5R55S

I recently switched to MT 295/45-17 from MandH 275/50-17 drag radials. The MT don't get hot as easy and require more speed or rev time IMHO. I used to only run the Mand H in first grear to get hot. They would pick up every rock there was on the way back to the pits so they were getting nice and sticky. One thing I can say about MT, they hooked right out of the box on a poorly prepped test and tune night. 1.70 60ft and they didn't get hot. I am sure they will get better once I get them broke in some. Only made two passes on them

Misfit_5.0

Tools Required: Beer
Reaction score
Put it in neutral, peg out the RPM's and slam it into R! R is for race right?

:roflmao:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get it going in 1st, when you are up the rpm's, shift to 2nd. Depending on what tire you are using will depend how long you heat them up. But most drag radials need a 5000 and up rpm burtnout in 2nd gear for a good 6-8 seconds for them to be 100% effective..

This.

Line lock does wonders as well!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
With ET Streets I roll through the water box then burn em in second gear only, till smokey.

Back