Burnouts at the strip

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
Good day all!! Is there a sticky somewhere to help me with my burnouts in the water pit at the track? Good not find much. Getting my darkstar wheels and drag radials put on this weekend!!! should i just avoid the the water on my first outing to the track altogether??? TIA!!!

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
What's your set up
What's your drag radial
What's your tire pressure

Me?

Second gear at around 60 mph until I see white smoke. Release line lock and roll forward until I hear the tires squeal like a stuck pig.

Now I'm ready to launch.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Look in the drag racing section I know I've replied to a thread on the same topic, prob a lot more helpful info in there as well

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no sticky on the topic, but many threads on it.

What's your set up
What's your drag radial

Me?

Second gear at around 60 mph until I see white smoke. Release line lock and roll forward until I hear the tires squeal like a stuck pig.

Now I'm ready to launch.

/\ pretty much sums it up

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
What's your set up
What's your drag radial

Me?

Now I'm ready to launch.

^^^^The only things I would add is if you don't have skinnies up front back into the water box, don't drive through it and roll into the water and pull forward, you don't need to spin the tires in the water box.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I run M&H Racemaster D/R's. I back into the waterbox, start my burnout in 2nd gear, click into 3rd gear (too get enough MPH with my 4.10 gears), and let off the brakes to roll forward out of the water. Once the tires bark loudly & grab, I let off.

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the replies! I am so nervous to try this. getting my m and h DRs put on this weekend, however 4.10s won't be installed for a few weeks.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Those of you with 6R80 automatics. 3.15 gears on the car. Is it hard on it to put it into 2nd gear and start the burnout from there? As opposed to starting in 1st and giving it enough throttle to climb into 2nd that way?

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
What's your set up
What's your drag radial

Me?

Now I'm ready to launch.

Getting m and h DRs put on this week and 4.10s in a few weeks. Is there a wrong way to come out of it?!?! What's a good tire pressure to run those at? No skinnies. Manual trans

Last edited:

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
Getting m and h DRs put on this week and 4.10s in a few weeks. Is that a wrong way to come out of it?!?! What's a good tire pressure to run those at? No skinnies. Manual trans

I would start around 15-16psi and adjust up or down from there. The tire pressure will increase with the burnout so don't start too high.

back into the water box pulled forward out of the water (someone working the track should assist you with this), once stop put the car in second and dump the clutch until you see some smoke coming off the tires. I adjusted my side mirrors so I could see the tires and watch for smoke, at least that is what I did. If you don't have a linelock get one.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
Those of you with 6R80 automatics. 3.15 gears on the car. Is it hard on it to put it into 2nd gear and start the burnout from there? As opposed to starting in 1st and giving it enough throttle to climb into 2nd that way?

I used to start my burnout is 1st then click it to 2nd but decided to try it in 2nd from the start, it has no trouble spinning the wet tires and so far there has been no negative issues that I'm aware of.

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
For daily driving though what should i keep my tire presure at for the drag radials?

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I used to daily drive my drag radials at 25 psi. But that was short city driving.

What do you call daily driving ?

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
I used to daily drive my drag radials at 25 psi. But that was short city driving.

What do you call daily driving ?

To and from work, sees a little freeway. With the occasional pull here and there

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Lol I leave mine at 20psi around town. Not sure it will wear even if you up the pressure much. At more than 22 mine looked like the outer 1" or so of the tire wasnt wearing with the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Getting m and h DRs put on this week and 4.10s in a few weeks. Is there a wrong way to come out of it?!?! What's a good tire pressure to run those at? No skinnies. Manual trans

I usually start with 25 psi for my first pass, then adjust down until the tire shows wear across the entire tread width. Depending on track temp and ambient weather, I typically end up in the 20-23 psi range. On the trip to & from the track, I usually run 30-32 psi.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
M&H told me that 17-19 is the sweet spot for their tires at the track

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back