Cam Follower Failure's

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The turbo oil supply is T'd off at the filter from what I can fill, can't see and didn't install.
Would the oil pressure flowing through that line have less pressure being it is strait through the turbo back to the pan?
I mean not pushing against a dead head.

Then its likely from the oem oil pressure sender, no it wouldnt effect the reading there.

Your not getting adequate oil pressure is my guess, which led to a lash adjuster issue throwing the follower.

Maybe suspect the oil pump. You should have alot of pressure from reading right there.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
FYI , my oil pressure was tee'd off my oil supply line as well and i was high 90's on cold start.

if it were me i would be pulling the stock oil pressure sender out and sticking a manual gauge in there to test with......anything below 80 on a cold start up and you have issues.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FYI , my oil pressure was tee'd off my oil supply line as well and i was high 90's on cold start.

if it were me i would be pulling the stock oil pressure sender out and sticking a manual gauge in there to test with......anything below 80 on a cold start up and you have issues.

My question now is how long has this motor been in the car and was the oil pressure like this from the start?
I have a bad feeling the wrong oil pump may have been used.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
if your lucky....you hear it ticking. if your not lucky, you dont know until it pops out and destroys things.....no codes.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the bypass in the oil pump may be stuck open. You should have much higher pressure then you are telling us. I wouldn't run the engine anymore until you get if figured out.

Earl

s197cajungt

Reaction score
Don't know how to double quote. having trouble posting.
Dose everyone have to resign in after few minits of pause? very frustrating.

I caught the first 2 before they went pop, they ticked, but not lucky on the third one, dropped valve.

The turbo supply line is T'd off the stock sensor, (stock sensor still there) then I have a electronic oil sensor up top @ turbo, with interceptor gauge. Not manual though.

My oil pressure has been that low 12-15# @ idle hot 204 max sense I got my gauges with turbo install, I have 10,000 mi. sense short block install approx. 15,000mi. on cams and springs, 21,000 mi. on car.

Didn't have higher heat (214* in the city) and lower oil pressure till after oil weight change to 10w30 @ approx. 20550mi.

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
That pressure is WAY too low! You need to test at the sensor with a manual gauge....if its still that low then you will need to start pulling it apart to find out why....

s197cajungt

Reaction score
That pressure is WAY too low! You need to test at the sensor with a manual gauge....if its still that low then you will need to start pulling it apart to find out why....
I'll be doing that when I put the motor back in the car, I'm going to pull it to do the repairs, after that storm ISAAC passes hope it's still here. I'm taking notes.

What about the cams, think they are salvagable after all the heat stress?

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
If your pulling the motor, I'd be pulling the pan off too, inspect the crank bearings. Inspect the cam bearings. While you got it apart look for the reason why you have low oil pressure. Shouldn't be that hard to find.

s197cajungt

Reaction score
If your pulling the motor, I'd be pulling the pan off too, inspect the crank bearings. Inspect the cam bearings. While you got it apart look for the reason why you have low oil pressure. Shouldn't be that hard to find.
That's what I got in mine, Don't pay to put it back together with out knowing what caused it, and have the same problems. Hopefully I get it strait.

Thank everyone for the replys, and if any thoughts come up, please post them.

Time to run for the hills.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back