cam gear problem

quick60

forum member
Reaction score
im about to put my motor back together and i notice that both of the cam gears are marked with capital "L" i have no other marks on them i even compare them together and they look exacly the same, so how do i time the motor now.???????

quick60

forum member
Reaction score
I read over the manual and one of the cam gears should have "0 or R" dont have that on mine WTF!!! how do i time that thing now, should i set one side on "L" and the other on "I"

Bryan@suttonhp

Reaction score
  1. Install the camshaft phaser sprockets and new camshaft phaser bolts finger-tight.
    A0081897.gif
  2. NOTICE: Damage to the camshaft phaser sprocket assembly will occur if mishandled or used as a lifting or leveraging device.
    NOTICE: Only use hand tools to remove the camshaft phaser sprocket assembly or damage may occur to the camshaft or camshaft phaser unit.
    NOTE: LH shown, RH similar.
    Using the Cam Phaser Locking Tool, tighten the LH and RH camshaft phaser sprocket bolts in 2 stages.
    1. Stage 1: Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    2. Stage 2: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
  • N0010187.gif
  1. Install the crankshaft sprocket, making sure the flange faces forward.
  • N0011527.gif
  1. Rotate the crankshaft to position the crankshaft sprocket timing mark in the 6 o'clock position.
  • N0010527.gif
  1. NOTICE: If one or both of the tensioner mounting bolts are loosened or removed, the tensioner-sealing bead must be inspected for seal integrity. If cracks, tears, separation from the tensioner body or permanent compression of the seal bead is observed, install a new tensioner or engine damage may occur.
    Inspect the RH and LH timing chain tensioners.
    • Install new tensioners as necessary.
  1. NOTICE: Timing chain procedures must be followed exactly or damage to valves and pistons will result.
    Compress the tensioner plunger, using a vise.
  • A0029146.gif
  1. Install a retaining clip on the tensioner to hold the plunger in during installation.
  • A0029147.gif
  1. Remove the tensioner from the vise.
  1. If the colored links are not visible, mark one link on one end and one link on the other end and use as timing marks.
  • A0038719.gif
  1. Install the 4 bolts and the LH and RH timing chain guides.
    • Tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).
  • N0006303.gif
  1. Position the lower end of the LH (inner) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the timing mark on the outer flange of the crankshaft sprocket with the single colored (marked) link on the chain.
  • N0011528.gif
  1. NOTE: Make sure the upper half of the timing chain is below the tensioner arm dowel.
    Position the LH timing chain on the camshaft sprocket. Make sure the camshaft sprocket timing mark is aligned with the colored (marked) chain link.
  • N0050271.gif
  1. NOTE: The LH timing chain tensioner arm has a bump near the dowel hole for identification.
    Position the LH timing chain tensioner arm on the dowel pin and install the LH timing chain tensioner and bolts.
    • Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
  • A0062443.gif
  1. Remove the retaining clip from the LH timing chain tensioner.
  • A0029150.gif
  1. Position the lower end of the RH (outer) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the timing mark on the sprocket with the single colored (marked) chain link.
  • N0011520.gif
  1. NOTE: The camshaft phaser and sprocket will be stamped with one of the illustrated timing marks for the RH camshaft.
    NOTE: The lower half of the timing chain must be positioned above the tensioner arm dowel.
    Position the RH timing chain on the camshaft sprocket. Make sure the camshaft sprocket timing mark is aligned with the colored (marked) chain link.
  • N0052196.gif
  1. Position the RH timing chain tensioner arm on the dowel pin and install the RH timing chain tensioner and bolts.
    • Tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
  • A0062446.gif
  1. Remove the retaining clip from the RH timing chain tensioner.
  • A0029150.gif
    Ch
  • Check out the right side, anyone look like that.

Bryan@suttonhp

Reaction score
  • N0052196.gif
  1. Position the RH timing chain tensioner arm on the dowel pin and

Thats the Pass. side, the drivers side is L.

quick60

forum member
Reaction score
ok, but where do i set the chains, since they both have the same marks on the gears.

quick60

forum member
Reaction score
ok, thats what i got out of manual, how do i know where to set the chains since the sprockets have exacly the same marks, how can i tell left from right, do i set them both at letter "L" or what??

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
ok, thats what i got out of manual, how do i know where to set the chains since the sprockets have exacly the same marks, how can i tell left from right, do i set them both at letter "L" or what??

The "i" on the phaser is equivalent to the "R". My phasers were the same way.

quick60

forum member
Reaction score
sound good to me guys, thanks for the help, i also have have one more question,
is it possible to bend a valve i the 3v motor(close interference), meaning i still have the heads off the block all tho they are already fully assembled , can i just torque the heads down, and then set the marks, looks that i will need help with timing the motor cause the cams seems to spring back or forward when i try to move them.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
your marks should look similar to this:
IMG_3506.jpg

and if i get your last question correctly, the heads should have been torqued before any timing could be done... the 3vs with the VCT have springs inside the camgears that allow them to retard or advanced - the springing your feeling is the VCT spring, the only thing that stops the camgear from rotating is oil pressure (once the motor is running).

Back