Camera Experts

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so im just getting into photography and im having problems with the pics being blurry, here are some pics, it just seems like there is alot of "noise" going on, on the edge of the picture,heres two pics of some cars that I took today. I turned the ISO down to 64 but it still isnt working any suggestions? Also I am shooting with a Nikon p6000 with a wide angle lens. Thanks.

DSCN1748.jpg

DSCN1737.jpg

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I believe that purplish/bluish coloring is chromatic aboration(don't know how to spell the word). What kind of camera? What lens? Also, that's a real low iso setting to use. If it's daytime out you'd probably want 200-400 iso setting. It almost looks like a fish-eye lense but it still shouldn't have that fringing.

I'm not a photo expert by any means.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yeah it is a fish eye lens, the camera is a nikon p6000, yeah i thought the ISO was low too but between 100-200 was the default and when i turned it down it the pics seemed to be a little better.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try bumping the ISO up to 400. Also, what is your shutter speed? Most shots that come out blurry are a result of to low of a shutter speed, with to shaky of a hand. It's been a long time since I was a photographer, but I am thinking the lower the ISO, the slower the maximum shutter speed can be.

Maybe Keith can chime in on this, as I would like to have my memory refreshed too.

Kankakee

I dunno.
Reaction score
I can't see the pics currently because I'm at work, but It most likely is something simple such as moving a small bit.

Should look into investing in a cheap tripod. Made my pictures much better.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It looks to be your depth of field. On the first pic, the front wheel is in focus but the rear of the car is out of focus. With the fisheye lense, if you don't have the right settings, your depth of field is very narrow. What aperture are you using? Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture

Last edited:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exif data would help. Almost looks like you're using the wrong type of lens for the camera - you sure it's not for film?

Flash_of_Yellow

forum member
Reaction score
From the first picture you can totally tell you are using a soft focus created by using a low f-stop number. This is nice when taking face shots, but as you can see trying to get a long object all in focus is harder.

I also don't know first hand the camera you are using, but here is what I would try.

1) Turn the camera to aperature priority setting and set the aperature to about 8 or so. (higher will give you better focus over total depth, lower will cause non-focused areas to be blurry)

2) Turn the ISO to 400

3) Shoot again. In aperature priority you set 2/3 settings (aperature and ISO) and the camera automatically sets the timing. It might set a really slow shutter speed, depending on light. If so, either get a tripod and set the timer, or increase the ISO setting to 800.

NOTE: Increasing the ISO setting will cause "grainier" photos. Hope this helps.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From the first picture you can totally tell you are using a soft focus created by using a low f-stop number. This is nice when taking face shots, but as you can see trying to get a long object all in focus is harder.

I also don't know first hand the camera you are using, but here is what I would try.

1) Turn the camera to aperature priority setting and set the aperature to about 8 or so. (higher will give you better focus over total depth, lower will cause non-focused areas to be blurry)

2) Turn the ISO to 400

3) Shoot again. In aperature priority you set 2/3 settings (aperature and ISO) and the camera automatically sets the timing. It might set a really slow shutter speed, depending on light. If so, either get a tripod and set the timer, or increase the ISO setting to 800.

NOTE: Increasing the ISO setting will cause "grainier" photos. Hope this helps.

i think you might be right......im gonna take some tomorrow and see how they come out, i just took some in the garage and uploaded them and they arent blurry anymore

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think you might be right......im gonna take some tomorrow and see how they come out, i just took some in the garage and uploaded them and they arent blurry anymore

Yep thats what I said also, aperture. What F stop where you shooting at? Just curious.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep thats what I said also, aperture. What F stop where you shooting at? Just curious.

Honestly I have no idea, im still trying to find my way around this camera, and I just went out and shot a few pics and it didnt work but it wasnt as bad as the other pics.

Dwisforme05

CF photography
Reaction score
ISO doesnt affect how sharp and image is. it will affect how NOISY it is tho. the higher the ISO the more noise you will have. what size frame is the camera? full or crop frame? is the lense made for that camera? what kind of fisheye is it? 8mm, 10mm? from what it looks like to me is that its a somewhat cheap lense( no offense) and that its got a really narrow focus. i sold my fisheye because it wasnt doing anything that i couldnt do with a 10mm-20mm wideangle. i hope this helps, any more questions just pm me bud!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just my novice opinion, but it looks like the lens was made for a film camera (the black in the corners). It is also my opinion that fisheyes are worthless unless you're going for some funky sort of artsy affect. As the above poster said, a 10-20mm wide angle is more practical and will not produce a distorted image. The nature of the fisheye is that you can get more of the object in focus because of the short focal length (less bokeh). You should not need a tiny aperture (f12+) to get the car in focus.

And so we're not just shooting into the dark, what lens is it?

Last edited:

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
I just looked up your camera, Coolpix P6000, and saw that it's a compact. The ISO range for autos on compacts start off a lot lower and your auto setting range is 64 to 800. With a focal range of 28mm to 112mm, F2.7 to F5.9. Do you have any lens accessories or do was that just as wide as you could go?

I downloaded your picture and when I looked up the information on it with PhotoFiltre (it's freeware and in my liberkey). It said your picture information was: ISO 64, Exposure 10/1086 sec, F3.3, normal expsoure, focal length 6.7mm, White Balance auto, Quality Normal, Digital Zoom Auto, Scene Mode Landscape, Noise Reduction off & 35mm equiv of 31mm.

I know that is a lot of information at one shot and since I'm also a novice I don't know how much I can offer that hasn't been said. Here are some of my general photograph tip websites I keep bookmarked and what I found out about your camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080702nikonp6000.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpp6000.asp
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/Tips.html
http://photo.net/learn/
http://digital-photography-school.com/tips
http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Latest_Features_and_Workshops.shtml

My wife is rushing me off so I'll try and post again later. Hopefully someone can see some of the picture's information and provide you some tips from there. When I got my camera the one thing that surprised me when I started off was just how much time I spent reading about what my camera could do before trying to learn about taking different types of pictures.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back