Camshaft swapping

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
Alright so I browse these forums almost everyday. Got into cars last May and bought my GT in August of last year. Since then have been reading up and trying to learn as much as I could about my car and just cars in general.

So last Christmas I was sitting at a table with my father, uncle and older cousin explaining some things I was going to do to my car (cai/tune, o/r pipe, headers, etc) and I mentioned cams and was instantly hounded lol. They tried to tell me they read that its not good to swap the stock camshaft out, etc etc when I'm the one that sits on these forums most of the time! Haha.

If you're going a N/A route imo cams seems like a wonderful upgrade (and the sound, of course :D). I plan do just do the basic bolt ons, nothing insane because I know everyone says it and they're totally right, just get a blower. Which is something that is a possibility in the future.

What I need from you guys is information on why its a good/positive idea to upgrade the camshaft in the car. I have a basic understanding of most things but need people with more knowledge and know the S197 more to really let me know.

A reason they may have said they read that is maybe the driveability issues with stage 2/3 cams? Not sure.

I plan on getting Hot Rods (yes, I know bbr and rockers may produce more power lol) but driveability or anything other problems shouldn't arise right? Just a nice power gain and sound?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are no issues with a cam swap, esp a NSR cam like the HR/DR's.

With the research/experience out there for those cams a reputable tuner like AM, BBR, etc can get the email tune pretty much spot on.

I gained 33 hp/3 tq when I had the LT's/catted H and HR's installed and my numbers are low due to being an automatic and 410 gears.

If you are doing cams I recommend the other "breathing" mods such as LT's/CAI/delete plates, if you want to you can add the BBK TB but that should be last vice first.

If you plan on getting a blower down the line save for and buy the blower; if you know it will be some time before you go FI than buy the bolt ons and enjoy the power gains in stages, you can remove the bolt ons and sell them to recoup your money if and when you go FI.

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
There are no issues with a cam swap, esp a NSR cam like the HR/DR's.

With the research/experience out there for those cams a reputable tuner like AM, BBR, etc can get the email tune pretty much spot on.

I gained 33 hp/3 tq when I had the LT's/catted H and HR's installed and my numbers are low due to being an automatic and 410 gears.

If you are doing cams I recommend the other "breathing" mods such as LT's/CAI/delete plates, if you want to you can add the BBK TB but that should be last vice first.

If you plan on getting a blower down the line save for and buy the blower; if you know it will be some time before you go FI than buy the bolt ons and enjoy the power gains in stages, you can remove the bolt ons and sell them to recoup your money if and when you go FI.

Thanks for the help. And yeah to my understanding getting cai, LT's, o/r pipe, etc. before the cams is ideal because without them the cams won't be much of a difference to the car.

dans08gt

the white ghost
Reaction score
i would do your basic upgrades first(headers,ca intake,high flow cats,gears) then cams last. after the cams are installed then the car is tuned for everything.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Alright so I browse these forums almost everyday. Got into cars last May and bought my GT in August of last year. Since then have been reading up and trying to learn as much as I could about my car and just cars in general.

So last Christmas I was sitting at a table with my father, uncle and older cousin explaining some things I was going to do to my car (cai/tune, o/r pipe, headers, etc) and I mentioned cams and was instantly hounded lol. They tried to tell me they read that its not good to swap the stock camshaft out, etc etc when I'm the one that sits on these forums most of the time! Haha.

If you're going a N/A route imo cams seems like a wonderful upgrade (and the sound, of course :D). I plan do just do the basic bolt ons, nothing insane because I know everyone says it and they're totally right, just get a blower. Which is something that is a possibility in the future.

What I need from you guys is information on why its a good/positive idea to upgrade the camshaft in the car. I have a basic understanding of most things but need people with more knowledge and know the S197 more to really let me know.

A reason they may have said they read that is maybe the driveability issues with stage 2/3 cams? Not sure.

I plan on getting Hot Rods (yes, I know bbr and rockers may produce more power lol) but driveability or anything other problems shouldn't arise right? Just a nice power gain and sound?

I would swap in the comp 127200. No spring change required, there shouldn't be any driveability issues, proven gains.

I base this on the 127300 cams I put in my car. Same specs but more lift which requires a spring upgrade. I recently looked at stock head flow numbers and realized the 200's would of worked just as well for my application, unless I port the heads at a later date.

BTW after I put the 300's in my car drove just as well as it did with stock cams even before getting the tune tweaked.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Anyone know what the gains for the HR/DR's are for an N/A 4.6L with intake, o/r H, mufflers, but stock headers?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
There are only 2 real "positive" comments I can even think when it comes to cams. Power and Sound. Tuning cams can be a pain. Some cams will hurt drivability more than others. Economy goes down the shitter fast.

Anyways, back to the positive. Power, don't wimp out if you're going to crack into your motor that far, get a good cam!! You know, I love my thumpr's when I have the idle set at 650rpm. Can't touch those cams for such an awesome old school cam lope. You know how often I idle at 650? Never! I idle at 850 and they sound like every other cam lope out there, but unlike almost every other cam out there, they don't make squat for power! Get a cam with power in mind, sound will come automagically.

If you don't care about torque, go ahead and get delete plates. But, if that's the case, please may I suggest you get an intake manifold to go with your cams. I don't know about other people, but I got a shit ton more power when I added the FRPP intake, and my power band pushes to almost 7k/rpm, not that I ever spin that high, shift light hits at 6500. As much as I regret my cam selection, I love that intake manifold. Best $520 shipped I ever spent!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with your assessment of the FRPP intake; did you see LAllison's dyno results with it? Not very impressive..and he is full bolt on.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I make 360rwhp with a crap cam, no where near full bolt on, 4.10's on a dynojet at 2400ft. Consider I made 330rwhp before the intake on 3.55's. That's roughly 30-40rwhp gain, but it's more impressive in powerband. Believe what you wish, but that intake rocks. Can't wait to get a centri in front of it!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ehhh...not buying it...you went up two steps in gears which eat up dyno numbers and I know for a fact the FRPP intake will not gain 30-40 hp NA let alone FI; how do I know? I have a FRPP intake and a Vortech and did not gain that much.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back