Car shuts off when brake not applied

Aesthetics28

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has had this issue tried searching a couple forums some suggesting the brake master cylinder has gone bad.

This is a pretty new issue that has happened and the only codes I'm getting is for the cruise control module which I don't think it is.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

07 Boss

Reaction score
A little confused. The car stays running when the brake is applied? When the brake is released it stalls?

07 Boss

Reaction score
That's weird. I've heard of cars stalling when the brakes are applied but not the other way around.

Unplug the fuse for the cruise control and see if that does anything. At least completely rule it out. Not sure how the cruise control operates but maybe there is something hinkey there and with everything being tied together in these cars, maybe it is sending wrong signals to the TB or something like that. At lest you might be able to fully write that off as a cause of your issue.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure this all goes through the SJB so we all know the drill. Water from door and firewall leaks corrodes the SJB and connector and causes all kinds of weird problems. I would check there also.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I would start by plugging off the hose to the brake booster to rule out a weird booster failure.
If that doesn't affect anything upplug the brake light switch and go from there.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
What are the codes?
Did you load a tune/ is the car tuned?
Can you look at live data from the PCM? I would monitor engine control outputs like: throttle % on the TB, timing, injectors, PATS state, fuel pump, etc. And try to see why the engine shuts off.

Aesthetics28

forum member
Reaction score
@Juice only codes are for cruise control module...car was running fine for about 2-3 years (Lito Tuned)

@sportinawoody i did pinch the line but i think its better to plug it up and try from there, i also did unplug the light switch thinking that might be causing a electrical failure but it wasnt it either..

Nuke

Junior "Old Man" Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure this all goes through the SJB so we all know the drill. Water from door and firewall leaks corrodes the SJB and connector and causes all kinds of weird problems. I would check there also.

The SJB in the 2005 thru some 2007's has been the root of many gremlins. There's a TSB on it. Are you experiencing any other electrical issues?

I'd say you have a short if it was the other way around: stalling when you APPLY the brakes...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back