Car won't start after turbo removal/procharger install

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
Over the week I removed my turbo kit to install a pro charger kit. After uploading the tune, i attempted to start the car, but nothing. Full power is available, car clicks, but motor will not even attempt to turn over. I checked all grounds, power electrical cables, etc and nothing.

The only thing i disconnected while switching over the power adders were o2 sensors, maf sensor, and horn. Other than that, i cannot imagine what could have gone wrong.

NOTES: starter clicks, fuel pump powers ons, not PATS issue, no codes.

One thing i noticed was when i tried to start the car for the first time, s saw and smelled a little smoke come out from the area opposite of the battery location, on the driver side. But after the first attempt to start the motor, i never saw the smoke again. I don't know what could be in that area that could have fried up to cause the slight smoke.

When installed the pro charger, i had to remove the current harmonic balancer because the piggy back balancer that comes with the pro charger would only fit an ATI balanacer or the stock balancer, therefore i went back to the stock balancer.

Any help or inout is much appreciated.

I have searched and gone down the checklist provided by 94tbird and did everything exempt these because i don't know what it means, know how to do it.

Will the rotating assembly turn freely?
NO – engine is jammed or seized
YES – continue

Does the starter motor turn when power is applied and load removed?
NO – bad starter
YES – have starter bench tested.

Last edited:

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
try to spin the engine by hand (use a big rachet @ the main crank pully)

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check your batter voltage, it sounds like a low battery. You may have enough to make the pump come on but not enough to energize the starter.

Earl

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did ur crank sensor unplug when changing pulleys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
I will attempt to turn the motor when i get home, but i highly doubt that because nothing was done except changing the balancer.

Earl, can the voltage be the issue if my car has plenty of power? everything turns on fine and even after i attached it to another battery, still nothing.

Againstallodds, do you mind telling me where the crank sensor would be located?

Frank, Why does it requiure me remove spark plugs before turning the motor? When i installed the new balancer, my engine turned a few times while i was trying to get it off with the ratchet.

Thanks for the input guys!

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
The crank sensor is on the passenger side of the engine sort of between the harmonic dampener and the a/c compressor. It's a delicate plastic part that can easily be broken.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you jumped it with another battery then you may have a wiring problem. When you saw the smoke it may have been a short that burned through a wire. I would check all the wiring going to the starter and anything else you could have pinched during the removal install process.

Earl

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
Earl, When i jumped it with another car, there was no difference from when i had it on its own battery. I cant imagine much electric wiring on the driver side where i saw the smoke from. But i will check..

Dysan, Thanks for teh location info, i will check later tonight.

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
Did you over tighten the procharger tensioner? Mine had starting issues before i loosened the tensioner

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as a tune issue or bad tune? To check, load up the old tune and unplug the maf, hook up the jumper cables then try to start it again.

Last edited:

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
Killrstang, we're ur issues similar to mine? Where the engine would even attempt to turnover? Mine only clicks. So I will do this when I'm home.

Jeremy, can't be the tube because I loaded the old tune back in to double check and same result. I've ruled out the crank sensor also.

Called a few shops and they said its gotta be a bad ground

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Frank, Why does it requiure me remove spark plugs before turning the motor? When i installed the new balancer, my engine turned a few times while i was trying to get it off with the ratchet.

Thanks for the input guys!

I was replying to the guy who said check the compression. You remove all the plugs, then install the spark plug hole adapter with compression tester in the cylinder you want to test. By leaving out the other plugs, it doesn't put so high a load on the starter/battery while doing all that cranking. Also, it makes it easier to tell if you have a blown head gasket that spans two side-by-side cylinders.

There is no reason to be testing for compression in your case though. Posting from my iPhone doesn't let me use emoticons. I thought it crazy that it was even brought up.

When I said electrical issue, I made the assumption you would then go on to check all the engine grounds to include the main ground strap. Your car may have started on the turbo fine with a weakening ground or battery, but you put that extra load of turning a S/C'er on there and you may not be getting enough juice to turn the engine over. A turbo puts zero extra drag on the rotating assembly.

I hope that's clear as mud now. lol

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
No mine would eventually crank, actually if i remember correctly, did you relocate a ground?? I would check that

Edit: re read the end of your last post. I could bet its a ground thats not making good contact

Last edited:

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
Frank you may be on to something. Because with the turbo, sometimes it would take a while for my car to start. For example, if I run into a gas station to buy some candy, and turn off my motor, then come back after 5 min, the car would ALWAYS take a while to start and almost sound like it wouldn't start. I never thought anything of this and attributed it to the new motor. Note that this only happens when the motor is still hot, not on cold starts.

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
Will go through as many grounds I know of tonight. Is there a list of grounds I should go through and their locations? Lol

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
I would check the one you relocated for the procharger install first. Its near the prochager bracket, there is also one on the opposite from it as well. Plus one on the firewall. Also take a look at all the wires going to the starter.

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
The one I relocated was put on the crossover as per the directions. That was the first I rechecked and it was on tight. Maybe it's a bad ground?

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
confirmed that this couldn't be a pre existing ground issue because i unplugged the pro charger belt and still same result. Still have to go thru all the electrical.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back