Ceiling fans blow!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed a ceiling fan last night. Should have just paid someone to do it. Finishing the entire basement was less aggravating.

But it's done.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
LOL... I've installed several and other than some of them being a bit heavy, they really aren't a big deal. The one in my living room is a giant.

I'll install your next ceiling fan if you'll install my electric attic vent (not looking forward to it).

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
If your replacing an existing light fixture with the fan, its not so bad. Arms get tired though thats for sure.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
What was hard about it? I could understand if you had to wire it in than it would be a pain in the ass. Why does everyone say your arms get tired? There is a hook there for a reason. LOL

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Virgin install. It was mostly the attic part that sucked. Hot. Cramped. Hard to get in and out of.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Fuck yeah.....I almost destroyed my sons dresser while putting it together. I have patience,lol.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
mins was super easy to install, hell i'm retarded and was able to install mine lol. but yeah they sure to blow mine blows a lot actually quite nice.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mins was super easy to install, hell i'm retarded and was able to install mine lol. but yeah they sure to blow mine blows a lot actually quite nice.

LOL now that it's done it blows in a good way.

shanec

forum member
Reaction score
What was hard about it? I could understand if you had to wire it in than it would be a pain in the ass. Why does everyone say your arms get tired? There is a hook there for a reason. LOL

The outdoor fan I just got was a huge PIA. Unlike any I've seen before. There's no yoke-holder thing like you normally have for to hold the ceiling fan up while you complete the wiring.

Tough to explain online, but on this Hunter outdoor waterproof fan you have to hold the fan up, wire the electrical, and then put in screws which hold the fan up. I've never before seen a fan that couldn't be mounted, then wired, then have the shroud (the cosmetic part that hides the wires) attached. This was all 3 steps in one. One person couldn't do this alone. And the person stuck holding the fan gets really tired arms and/or has to let the fan sit on their head for a while.

deck-3494-L.jpg

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The outdoor fan I just got was a huge PIA. Unlike any I've seen before. There's no yoke-holder thing like you normally have for to hold the ceiling fan up while you complete the wiring.

Tough to explain online, but on this Hunter outdoor waterproof fan you have to hold the fan up, wire the electrical, and then put in screws which hold the fan up. I've never before seen a fan that couldn't be mounted, then wired, then have the shroud (the cosmetic part that hides the wires) attached. This was all 3 steps in one. One person couldn't do this alone. And the person stuck holding the fan gets really tired arms and/or has to let the fan sit on their head for a while.

deck-3494-L.jpg

The one I put in my bedroom is a Hunter. Same thing... I had to hold it while my friend wired it then we could finish mounting it to the ceiling.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The one I put in my bedroom is a Hunter. Same thing... I had to hold it while my friend wired it then we could finish mounting it to the ceiling.

I know there is no slip joint mount on them but all of the ones I've installed, Hunters, have a hook on them. Which is why there is a rectangle on the mount so you can hook it onto while wiring.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know there is no slip joint mount on them but all of the ones I've installed, Hunters, have a hook on them. Which is why there is a rectangle on the mount so you can hook it onto while wiring.

For mine I had to go with a flush mount option. Maybe I missed it in the instructions (I actually read them!), but I know my friend didn't see a way to hang while wiring either.

Either way, it's up, it spins, air moves around, the light turns on and most importantly the pregnant wife is happy. :thumb:

shanec

forum member
Reaction score

That was my expectation. Which made it all the more frustrating when the top of the ceiling fan was nothing more than an inverted bowl with screw holes around the edges.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That was my expectation. Which made it all the more frustrating when the top of the ceiling fan was nothing more than an inverted bowl with screw holes around the edges.

That's what I had too.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
That's nuts. All of the ones I've ever worked on here in Florida, even houses 40 years old, have basically the same thing you're talking about but with a rectangular "hook" to slip the hook onto inside the "bowl" on one side.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back