Check out this wheel weight chart. Is it accurate?

Infamous

BMW
Reaction score
Here is a quick link I found for wheel weight. Give it a shot and see if its accurate to the wheels you have weighed.

http://www.wheelweights.net/

looks about right. dont limit yourself though; if you see something you like, search it up on google or ask the manufacturer. thats a good cross section of the common stuff (as far as the rest of the automotive world, not the mustang world)

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
22-24 lbs for all the stock 17s.
So roughly with stock tire. 52lbs.

Since I'm pretty new in this section please educate on pounds saving for rotational mass. Such as is it REALLY that big of a difference if I save 1lb per wheel/tire combo for each wheel?

So that would be 4lbs in total of saving if I could shave off a pound per wheel/tire setup.

Just trying to see if the cost is worth the result.

Thanks

Infamous

BMW
Reaction score
that little bit isnt really going to be worth your time. get something you like that 1) looks good to you 2) is wide and 3) is of reasonable weight.

if lets say you went from a saleen or gt500 wheel (or even the heavy stock 18" fanblades i had) to a 22 pound wheel. youd feel a reasonable difference

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
that little bit isnt really going to be worth your time. get something you like that 1) looks good to you 2) is wide and 3) is of reasonable weight.

if lets say you went from a saleen or gt500 wheel (or even the heavy stock 18" fanblades i had) to a 22 pound wheel. youd feel a reasonable difference
I'm with the stock 17X8's

Looking to maybe go to these

20fdzt3.jpg

Listed at 19lbs per wheel. With a different tire 275/40/18 at 27lbs that would be a total of 46lbs per tire/wheel unlike my est. 52lbs per/tire wheel stock. So the savings would be 24lbs in total with a bigger wheel and wider tire.

Thoughts? Not looking to spend a bunch of money. Cheap wheels and tires just to get a decent street performance and lots of driving. The tires were UHP's and wheels are Motegi 18X8.

Last edited:

Infamous

BMW
Reaction score
not really safe putting 275/40's on a 8inch wide wheel.

i'd throw a 275/40 on a 9.5 wide wheel.

dont buy wheels off tire rack either. they have grandma fitments and will be pretty badly sunken in.

www.elementwheels.com is another nice resource; theyll tell you what kind of offsets will fit the car. always check back in with this forum though; i've seen them occasionally slip up and approve some crazy offsets

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
not really safe putting 275/40's on a 8inch wide wheel.

i'd throw a 275/40 on a 9.5 wide wheel.

dont buy wheels off tire rack either. they have grandma fitments and will be pretty badly sunken in.

www.elementwheels.com is another nice resource; theyll tell you what kind of offsets will fit the car. always check back in with this forum though; i've seen them occasionally slip up and approve some crazy offsets
Well I had 275/50/17's on my 17X8's and it wasn't too bad but it was a DR. I need to figure out the right offset for our cars in different wheel sizes. Wish there was a nice chart lol. I want a wider wheel but I'm not paying 300+ for it. Looks like there are some used wheels for sale that aren't bad on here.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Fitment in 18's is really pretty simple... 18x9.5 will fit between +35mm and +50mm, give or take aftermarket brake packages. You can get a LOT of different wheels in the 9"-9.5" range that are relatively lightweight, AND won't break the bank. Best bang for the buck is still the stock GT500 wheel (+45 offset). Strong, "relatively" lightweight, and no issue with fitment even with BBKs. New, you can find them under $200 a pop. Under $300 each, look at the 5zigen FN01R-C (+35 offset), which will also clear a BBK with no problem. Hell, if you're just looking for some cool looking wheels, my old street rims are for sale... MINOR rash on one of them, some brake dust, but they're 18x9.5, +50mm. I'm thinking $400 for the set:

20083-4view.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

frontside.jpg

Full disclosure: I melted two of the centercaps, and pulled the rest. I believe they're a fairly common size, so easy to replace. I'll also throw in the Gorilla lug nuts and two or three of the splined sockets for them! The will not clear a BBK, which is why I am offing them. I went to two sets of FN01R-C wheels, one for the Dunlop street tires, the other for the Hoosier R6's. The wheels as pictured are shod with 255/45-18 and 285/40-18 rubber, but they obviously don't come with any tires...

Drop me a PM if you're interested...

Last edited:
Back