checking shocks

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have a BC coilover kit on my car, and was wanting to check shocks, the rears are easy to check, but the fronts ....
Aside from visual inspection, the only way I can see to check the front shocks is to remove them from the car and at least loosen the spring to check for travel/resistance. If I take the whole Macpherson strut assembly out of the car, check shocks and put it back in ... is it safe to say I would need an alignment after?

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
You could probably assume if the rears are bad thst it’s worth doing the front also. I’d think your alignment in terms of toe would be fine, the camber may change a hair since you’ll be removing the two strut mount bolts to take it out.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I've replaced them at some point when 1 blew out, but I did them in pairs. But I cannot remember when I did them, lol. Guess I need to keep better notes.

I guess I could try and put some witness marks on stuff before disassembly so I can get it back to where it was as close as possible. It was the needing an alignment (again) that I was worried about.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
From what I recall there’s not much play in those two bolts, I’m sure if you just pull the top of the brake disc towards you as you tighten it the camber will be close enough, that’s what I did and mine checked out as ‘good enough’ when I had my alignment checked.

If the strut mounts go back in the same way you should be fine, you’re not touching the tie rods so the toe setting won’t change.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
You could probably assume if the rears are bad thst it’s worth doing the front also. I’d think your alignment in terms of toe would be fine, the camber may change a hair since you’ll be removing the two strut mount bolts to take it out.
Correct. As much as we should not assume, if they were installed at the same time then yes. Remember a Strut is more load bearing than a shock so they take more abuse.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back