choices choices forged 4.6 or 5.0 stroker

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
hi guys I'm new here, long time lurker first time poster and I was hoping to pick your guys' brains since alot of you have done builds and know what works and what doesn't. I have a roush with the tvs and was looking to forge my motor. in 1 corner I was looking at a 5.0 stroker block with kellog/manley internals and compression ratio of 9.1.1 from a reputable company. in the other corner a very reputable shop can put a forged diamond assembly into my block (18k miles) or a rebuilt block with a higher compression ratio (9.5) and for a little less overall $. only downside is they use the stock crankshaft which per them is capable of handling my power levels (600 rwhp) however I can opt for a forged crankshaft but then It makes them even price wise. my questions are: will I be making more power (based off comp. ratio) on the forged 4.6 than a stroked 5.0? is a stroker worth it? cause co. b said that putting a stroker is not much of an advantage as it gives minimal gains and puts more stress on motor. what do you guys think on stock crankshaft vs forged one how strong is it? and is diamond that much better than kellog/Manley spec wise? what is my better option any of your input would be much appreciated thanks.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Have you looked into an Aluminator from Ford Racing? About $3500 shipped. Forged everything.

FWIW I built my motor with a stock crank. Total cost with forged rods and pistons was $3200. That included everything. I did everything but the machine work and fitting the piston rings. Btw I used a new crank and block too. A lot of money can be saved if you do most of the labor yourself.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is an amazing set-up tiger. Im jealous. One day i will be there
Just something I thought you might wish to check out.
Give you something to consider in your decisions on what to do.

Terry

Cobra SS

forum member
Reaction score
I would not do the Stock Crankshaft on a 600 RWHP Plus engine build.
Spend the extra dollars on the front end and go Forged on the Crankshaft.

I just did this a few weeks back if you want to check it out.
A B302 Stroked Engine Build.
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2117300

tigerhonaker

+1, if you rebuilding spend the extra $$$ on a forged crank. also check out the FR Aluminator (9.8:1cr) or JDM's short block

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
oops thanks for moving me didn't know hehe

so far good input guys I'll definitely go forged on the crankshaft, I was told it could handle the power I was looking at but it's better to be safe and I want the motor to last. I have been looking at some built short blocks including the aluminator but for the same price, more or less,jdm and few others were offering stroker kits but now having second thought due to what this reputable shop told me about wear and tear the increased stroke will have on motor and how they only use diamond forged parts as they are supposedly better. so what parts are better and will I see any benefit with a stroker?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Keep shipping costs in mind when doing your shopping.

There are a few of us on this board with stock cranks, they are very strong. I haven't heard of one breaking yet but we all do different things for different reasons.

If you search this topic you will find lots of opinions on your questions. You also may want to search blown motors and see which configuration has the best and worst track records. People on this board are good about documenting powertrain failures and your may be able to learn and extrapolate from their experiences.

Bigmike0405

Whine and dine
Reaction score
Deff. go with a Stroked 5.0!

Why? Do you have any evidence to support this dumb ass comment or you just specking out your ass?

Next time if you don't have something that actually makes sense just sit back and blow yourself. :handjob:

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
oops thanks for moving me didn't know hehe

so far good input guys I'll definitely go forged on the crankshaft, I was told it could handle the power I was looking at but it's better to be safe and I want the motor to last. I have been looking at some built short blocks including the aluminator but for the same price, more or less,jdm and few others were offering stroker kits but now having second thought due to what this reputable shop told me about wear and tear the increased stroke will have on motor and how they only use diamond forged parts as they are supposedly better. so what parts are better and will I see any benefit with a stroker?

You will get a bunch of different opinions on long stroke vs stock stroke with forced induction. I do not believe the increase in HP is worth it due to the small bore and the extra stresses created from the longer stroke, shorter rod, and the relocated wrist pin in the piston.

If we were talking about a engine with a 4" bore and 3" stroke I would have a very different opinion. If we were talking about class racing where you might be looking for every last hp. Again, my opinion would be different. But it sounds like you are looking for a 600whp street car. The stock displacement will make those numbers easy.

Again, opinions will vary significantly.

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
Why? Do you have any evidence to support this dumb ass comment or you just specking out your ass?

Next time if you don't have something that actually makes sense just sit back and blow yourself. :handjob:

Listen guy, first off im not some noobie just lurking around here posting dumb shit. He asked a question. I answered with my opinion. And YES, i do have evidence because i have a 5.0 stroker in my car jackass and have made over 600rwhp which is what the OP is looking to make, without ONE problem. Theres your evidence. Also, how does it not make sense? It was an opinion based question, so i gave my opinion. Next time, why dont you post something related to the topic, instead of just dumb shit like this.

Last edited:

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
^+1 to Marc s. Stock compression,stock displacement is the way I am going,just going to forge it and turn up the wick on the D1 when it comes time for a motor.

Bigmike0405

Whine and dine
Reaction score
Listen guy, first off im not some noobie just lurking around here posting dumb shit. He asked a question. I answered with my opinion. And YES, i do have evidence because i have a 5.0 stroker in my car jackass and have made over 600rwhp which is what the OP is looking to make, without ONE problem. Theres your evidence. Also, how does it not make sense? It was an opinion based question, so i gave my opinion. Next time, why dont you post something related to the topic, instead of just dumb shit like this.

You gave no evidence Y he should choose a 5.0 over a 4.6 you just gave a vague comment. Maybe a little background on Y he should choose one over the other would be helpful. How about you raffle off how you made 600rwhp on your forged 5.0 and give some insight to him?

Maybe this is above your "Non" Noobish ways.

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
You gave no evidence Y he should choose a 5.0 over a 4.6 you just gave a vague comment. Maybe a little background on Y he should choose one over the other would be helpful. How about you raffle off how you made 600rwhp on your forged 5.0 and give some insight to him?

He asked an opinion based question, and i gave him an opinion from EXPERIENCE. And no, this is not above my "non" noobish ways, but arguing over a forum about nonsense is, so have a nice night. :hi:

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score

A supercharger and lots of boost is my guess on how he made 600rwhp. :handjob:
Hop off this guys nuts. How about you give some evidence on why he should stay with a 4.6 since your obviously a damn genius.

Last edited:

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
A supercharger and lots of boost is my guess on how he made 600rwhp. :handjob:
Hop off this guys nuts. How about you give some evidence on why he should stay with a 4.6 since your obviously a damn genious.

Atleast someone realizes it.. Thanks

P.S- Your guess was dead on :thumb:

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
A simple argument for a 5.0 stroker?

how many stroker failures have their been? Cause of the failure being the stroker set-up and not detonation, bad machining etc etc.

Best argument for a 5.0 stroker? Easy same hp @ less psi which means less belt problems and faster spool time for turbo. Next...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back