Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Spec 3+ kit

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I've read through the search engine on clutch installs and clutch options, so I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse with this one, but I wanted to get a poll opinion on the S197forum's clutch of choice.

I'm getting ready to be rid of my OEM clutch (it's been slipping on launches and a little up top... and damnit I just want a new clutch lol). I'm still torn as to which clutch I should get. I plan on doing the E-Force street blower @5psi once the car is paid off (in about 1 year & 7 months). But in the meantime, I just need the new clutch to survive until then on my current setup, which isn't difficult. (Comp cams, standard bolt-ons, 3.73's soon, 330rwhp) Since I'm pretty set on getting 1 of the 2, I only left the 2 as poll options, just to see what the majority would pick between themselves.

I've been looking very hard at the Centerforce Dual Friction (not the DFX) and think this might be the clutch for me. But since joining the S197 forum, I see alot of people from mild to wild running the Spec 3+, and praising it as the clutch built by god himself. :liar:

There's a serious price gap between the two. I can get a Centerforce DF kit for $330 shipped, or a Spec 3+ kit for $460 shipped. Asside from the Spec 3+ being serious overkill for my power application, which one will last the longest, I guess, would be the better question. No point in spending $460 on a clutch that will last just as long as a $330 clutch.

Also, is it worth replacing the OEM slave cylinder? And what replacement is recommended?

Thanks guys :beerdrink:

:deadhorse:

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard, from completely different people on different days and without being prompted, that the bees knees of setups seems to be a stock flywheel and pressure plate with Roush P-51 disc. Used on many supercharged cars with no problems whatsoever. The disc is a bit pricey at around $330ish, but seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
Wow, seems like the one certain thing here is... avoid the centerforce

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, definately going to avoid Centerforce if it's that unpopular. Not that popularity defines a product, but simply that there's something better more people would rather have over it. I think I'll look deeper into the Spec products. I still think the Spec 3+ is ultra-overkill for my little 330whp, but the price options around the Spec 3+ are near $100 difference. And for an extra $100 to have a clutch that will last a very long time and maintain it's performance over that period of time, I think the extra $100 is worth every penny.

I guess the question now is, who's got the best deal on a Spec 3+ kit?

Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, definately going to avoid Centerforce if it's that unpopular. Not that popularity defines a product, but simply that there's something better more people would rather have over it. I think I'll look deeper into the Spec products. I still think the Spec 3+ is ultra-overkill for my little 330whp, but the price options around the Spec 3+ are near $100 difference. And for an extra $100 to have a clutch that will last a very long time and maintain it's performance over that period of time, I think the extra $100 is worth every penny.

I guess the question now is, who's got the best deal on a Spec 3+ kit?

Before I got the cf i hadn't heard much bad, but as of late I've seen it trashed all over the place. I talked to centerforce about the supposed slave cylinder probs, and to the installer about issues such as chatter and driveability. I was told by both if installed per manufacturer specs, and either a new or properly resurfaced flywheel is used there would be little to no issues whatsoever. That being said I wouldn't have purchased the cf had I read some of these threads prior. Maybe an exception but mines doing great 7,000 miles later!

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
I love my stock flywheel/pressure plate with the roush P51 disc. 100% stock feel, and never slipped once. I'm making 520 wheel hp and rolling on 20" saleen 7 spokes with 305/35r20 nitto nt-555r drag radials.

STANMAN

forum member
Reaction score
Centerforce here, Fidanza Al flywheel, no issues whatsoever about 10K miles later at 480 RWHP.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back