Clutch options

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
I think a new clutch may be in my near future so I am curious what clutch everyone went with and why. Mods in my sig and I am open to opinions on clutches out there!

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
I am actually leaning towards that particular one but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions also.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'd say that spending some time searching will be your best option. There are some real good choices and some that don't work too well.

For me the best clutch I've ever had was a McLeod RST. The one I'm running right now isn't too bad either (Exedy 07806). The worst was a Centerforce DF. Any clutch that relies on the pressure plate for it's extra holding power is going to be trouble with a mod motor hydraulic slave.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Exedy Mach 500 is what I ran in my 2005 with a tad more HP and T than you are making. organic disc, but will hold the torque. Street friendly and not killer heavy like a Centerforce Dual friction. Ran the same setup in my 2013 stick shift car. Highly recommend the Light weight steel flywheel as well. While in there if you haven't already, upgrade the slave cylinder feed line. And don't cheap out on the slave cylinder. Most Exedy kits come with a replacement slave cylinder BTW.

I see you have dealt with Brand "B". They sell Exedy. BTW Mach 400 is only rated at 408T at the wheel according to their site.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Another vote for Mach 500. It's been in my car for 30k+ miles and it's still holding on with the boosted setup. At your power level I'm not sure if a Mach 400 will hold up long. Maybe someone will chime in with real life experience.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Exedy 400 and it just doesn't hold power. At 1k the slave cylinder went out, I replaced it and should have replaced the clutch then oh well.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
Mach 500 sounding pretty good then. The slave cylinder that comes with the exedy kit any good?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I found the Exedy Mach 500 extremely heavy and ended up removing it for that reason. I sold it on the forum with full disclosure as to why I removed it and the buyer ended up replacing it after 6 months for the same reason. I ended up throwing down the big bucks for the McLeod RST and it was absolutely divine.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Mach 500. Put in a Dorman TOB the first time, it failed within 500 miles. I got an Exedy TOB, it was the exact same TOB as the Dorman just an extra $50. The Exedy TOB failed within another 500 miles. Tired of pulling my trans I went with a twin disk and another Dorman TOB, it's what I should have done the first time.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a mach 500 as well and I like it. It is stiffer than stock but would be the least stiff clutch that I ever had in my fox body.

I keep hearing good things about the RST but all the disclaimers say that it won't hold up to racing. Sounds like lots of people have done just fine with it at the track. If you can afford the RST, go with that.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Had the RST. Was never happier than after I replaced it 8 months later with the Mach 500. Gave it to a friend in need. There is no way I would have asked anyone money for that product.

forum member
Reaction score
I am currently using a RXT. Great clutch with stock pedal feel. Since I am in the process of switching to an auto, it will be for sale soon.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I have the exedy mach 600 with an upgraded clutch line. It ate the factory slave in 6 months, then in ate the master about a year later. Its also very heavy, which is ok until you get stuck in traffic for 8 hrs.

IMO I wish I just went with the exedy 500.

With this kind of thing you can either go stock, a little better than stock, or all the way the hell up like the RST or something. Most mid-pack options leave you wishing you had just done the RST in the first place.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Orielys sell a TOB with a lifetime warranty I used that one when I replaced the Exedy one, so far no issues. BTW, I had a Spec 3+ before the 400 and it held up well. It was an on/off clutch for sure. I'm gonna go that route again.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back