clutch problems

chair

forum member
Reaction score
I must have bad luck with clutches or im just a bad driver. Ive had my transmission out 3 times this year fixing clutch related issues. The stock clutch finally gave out at 130,000 miles and blew to pieces. I replaced everything (clutch kit, throwout bearing, pilot bearing) with all oem parts and the throwout bearing exploded into pieces after just 3,000 miles. Replaced that, then at around 140,000 the clutch broke from the rivets. I was fed up at that point and had a shop do the install. I drove the car for 500 miles shifting under 3k rpms never going over. Finally after 500 miles i gunned it going onto the freeway and as i shift from first to second the clutch pedal drops to the floor and hear a sound of metal shards hitting the bellhousing. what gives?? it hadnt even been 2 months and this gave out again. Ive had this car with the stock clutch for almost 3 years with absolutely no problems then all of a sudden everything continuously fails in one year. Anyone have any suggestions on my recurring problems?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bad luck? Flywheel warped or input shaft tweaked causing a misalignment?

chair

forum member
Reaction score
Bad luck? Flywheel warped or input shaft tweaked causing a misalignment?

hmm. Flywheel was resurfaced but i never thought of the input shaft being bent or warped. i guess this a good excuse to get a 6 speed haa.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I must have bad luck with clutches or im just a bad driver. Ive had my transmission out 3 times this year fixing clutch related issues. The stock clutch finally gave out at 130,000 miles and blew to pieces. I replaced everything (clutch kit, throwout bearing, pilot bearing) with all oem parts and the throwout bearing exploded into pieces after just 3,000 miles. Replaced that, then at around 140,000 the clutch broke from the rivets. I was fed up at that point and had a shop do the install. I drove the car for 500 miles shifting under 3k rpms never going over. Finally after 500 miles i gunned it going onto the freeway and as i shift from first to second the clutch pedal drops to the floor and hear a sound of metal shards hitting the bellhousing. what gives?? it hadnt even been 2 months and this gave out again. Ive had this car with the stock clutch for almost 3 years with absolutely no problems then all of a sudden everything continuously fails in one year. Anyone have any suggestions on my recurring problems?

Did you replace the slave cylinder? What brand was the clutch kit and were the parts new?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
+1 poor quality parts? Never heard of anyone having that many problems. Is the car heavily modded? Raced often?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
He said it was all factory OEm parts. Sounds like possibly the Input Shaft is bent

OEM can mean a whole lot of things. Some people think that anything the auto parts store sells them is OEM but it isn't. Real OEM clutch parts cost a whole lot of money, it's doubtful that anyone except a dealer would use them. That's why I asked what brand he used. The slave cylinder doesn't play well with some aftermarket parts. Just because something fits the flywheel doesn't mean it's OEM even if it's marketed that way.

He also had a shop do one of the installs. What did they use and did they replace the slave cylinder? It sounds like he has a bad slave right now. It could be a few things.

chair

forum member
Reaction score
Did you replace the slave cylinder? What brand was the clutch kit and were the parts new?
I replaced the slave cylinder when i blew out the clutch the first time. brand new clutch and it was a valero kit. I got the kit for cheap since i had intentions of eventually getting a stage 2 kit.

+1 poor quality parts? Never heard of anyone having that many problems. Is the car heavily modded? Raced often?

im guessing its a combination of everything. The original kit was bought spur of the moment at a bargain, which doesnt seem like to much of a bargain now since every part in that kit has been decimated. Car is never raced; no burnouts, no redline hard shifts, just some spirited driving through the mountains and only mods are suspension.

OEM can mean a whole lot of things. Some people think that anything the auto parts store sells them is OEM but it isn't. Real OEM clutch parts cost a whole lot of money, it's doubtful that anyone except a dealer would use them. That's why I asked what brand he used. The slave cylinder doesn't play well with some aftermarket parts. Just because something fits the flywheel doesn't mean it's OEM even if it's marketed that way.

He also had a shop do one of the installs. What did they use and did they replace the slave cylinder? It sounds like he has a bad slave right now. It could be a few things.

The kit was an "oem comparable" and the slave cylinder was a dorman from rockauto. Im guessing slave cylinder too, i lost pedal pressure immediately; i was just wondering why it happened so suddenly with all new parts from a professional shop. Its safe to say not all cheap parts are good and not all good parts are cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I replaced the slave cylinder when i blew out the clutch the first time. brand new clutch and it was a valero kit. I got the kit for cheap since i had intentions of eventually getting a stage 2 kit.

im guessing its a combination of everything. The original kit was bought spur of the moment at a bargain, which doesnt seem like to much of a bargain now since every part in that kit has been decimated. Car is never raced; no burnouts, no redline hard shifts, just some spirited driving through the mountains and only mods are suspension.

The kit was an "oem comparable" and the slave cylinder was a dorman from rockauto. Im guessing slave cylinder too, i lost pedal pressure immediately; i was just wondering why it happened so suddenly with all new parts from a professional shop. Its safe to say not all cheap parts are good and not all good parts are cheap.

Forgive me for asking such a basic question but did you notice any fluid dripping? It almost sounds like the retaining clip popped out or like you just encountered a huge air pocket.

I also would ask if you saw the parts the shop pulled out? I guess you will know if they used the new parts soon enough when you pull the tranny again.

chair

forum member
Reaction score
Forgive me for asking such a basic question but did you notice any fluid dripping? It almost sounds like the retaining clip popped out or like you just encountered a huge air pocket.

I also would ask if you saw the parts the shop pulled out? I guess you will know if they used the new parts soon enough when you pull the tranny again.

Fluid was the first thing i checked but nothing on floor and master cylinder was still full days later. ill have to lift the car and check to confirm if its a hydraulic issue. The pedal felt firm the entire time leading up the problem. I did notice something strange when i started the car a couple times like the clutch would slip and you could hear a hesitation before firing up. only encountered that problem before before the slave cylinder blew out.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Valeo makes clutches for Ford. FTE makes the throw out bearing. You need to see what they installed when you yank the trans out. OEM compatible can mean anything. This is a excellent kit Amazon.com: LuK 07-188 Clutch Set: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51U%2B-xZwJZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51U%2B-xZwJZL

I can confirm it uses a FTE throw out and Valeo friction disc with a LuK pressure plate. I used this exact kit when I rebuilt my motor and did the clutch at the same time. I have had zero problems and it has given me excellent service thus far with about 10K on it and I have beat the shit out of it. Exedy or Valeo are the only two other "stock" kits I would use. Very high quality.

Back