Coilovers and brakes

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ok my car is 95% DD and 5% on the track if I can get out there. Insight on fortune auto 500 coils or megan racing coils also how is the power stop rotor and pad kit from AM for this usage? Just want/need that little extra bite and any calipers that wont kill the wallet but are more effective than factory?

Thanks

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to do your brakes- go for the 4 piston 14" Brembo setup from the 07-12 GT500, Boss, and Brembo GT.

You'd be better off with some bilsteins and lowering springs than Chinese coilovers.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
How much can I find a set of those brembos for? Whats a good coilover that wont kill the bank? I like the dampening adjustability and ride height adjustability.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
How is this same thing posted like ever two weeks. And why are s197 people so cheap, its like all the ricers jumped on the mustang platform the last couple years

kdaly1

Reaction score
Cheapest CO's Id consider are the ST's, and a bump from there are Ground Control. I have those and have not had issues. After that I'd just go Cortex as they are very closely priced to the competition and worth the price jump. If I were you and dont need the height adjustability is get koni's and springs. Then you'll need some suspension supporting mods if your gonna lower it. Its a system. You have to maintain the geometry. Its not a springs/dampers install and call it done.

Brakes, Id just swap pads, fluid, SS lines. If you wanna jump up from there are Bembos or GT500 Brembos and then Stoptech ST40's. Dont cheap out or you'll do it twice. Just wait as the stock brakes arent bad.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
How is this same thing posted like ever two weeks. And why are s197 people so cheap, its like all the ricers jumped on the mustang platform the last couple years

The fact that they are posting in the Corner Carving section is a good sign, it's not completely lost yet.

When you go into the E36 and miata forums, no one posts about megan coilovers and powerslot rotors outside the main forum where people are just slamming and camber maxing their rides.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
How much can I find a set of those brembos for? Whats a good coilover that wont kill the bank? I like the dampening adjustability and ride height adjustability.

About 1k for the brakes if you buy new. If you buy used about 600...troll the facebook pages, someone is always selling a set.

These are the cheapest coilovers I'd buy:

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=790

B61G1934_B-M.jpg

Call me a shock snob, but I use my cars and I'll never do a twin tube damper.

Last edited:

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
Get a set of good pads, slightly stiffer springs and call it a day. I see so many people blowing $$ on coilovers to run on the street. You'll get to use them on the on/off ramps driving to work and that's about it. Now 14" Brembo's for $600, that I would snatch up. I say put the $$ toward FI and bump that power up. That's fun money well spent on a DD to me.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
i-LC8XHz7.jpg

Seriously, who buys USED brake calipers and rotors? That used eBay stuff is killing me....

_DSF2629%20copy-M.jpg

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=598

This is the least inexpensive, most comprehensive, customizeable 14" Brembo upgrade kit for the S197 out there. Brand new Ford sourced Brembo calipers, hardware, Centric Premium rotors, lots of pad choices, choices for lines and brake cooling, etc.

As for the Option Auto Super Kewl Chinese coilovers.... ?

i-NLDSBgP-M.jpg

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I guess when I say "used" what I really mean is "takeoffs." Drag racers who sell theit stuff after 600 miles of street driving.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I guess when I say "used" what I really mean is "takeoffs." Drag racers who sell theit stuff after 600 miles of street driving.

i-MPfwnFq-M.jpg

I just.... 600 miles? Do you know of any drag racers who sell parts that aren't TOTALLY ragged out??

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ok now that's a nice deal on those brembos. Was looking into doing the rears but was reading and most people have been saying the stock rears are good enough. Ok, I mainly just want the adjustable dampening. Thanks guys

claudermilk

Reaction score
Seriously. There was a thread asking about the BCs just last week. There are numerous threads about brakes (go to the Vorshlag vendor forum & read the build thread there--TONS of great info). The information is here, you just need to use the search tool & read for a while.

As for the brakes, think about this: the Boss 302 cars (and Brembo GTs) only swap out the front rotors and calipers from the factory.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back