Comp Cam Problems (That they won't fix and know it's wrong)

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So we ordered some Comp Cams for my buddies 2010 GT500 and we get everything installed. Trailer the car to the dyno and get it ready for some tuning. Then we find the car will not stay running from the transition from vacuum to boost. We dick around with this thinking it is a tune problem for a week. Get all kinds of people involved in sending their own base tunes to see if they could get it to run.

So 1 week of getting nothing accomplished. We decide to bring the car back home and start looking other places. First we pull cam covers off and re-check the cam timing. Everything is ok there so not helping us. Then go and check all the sensors to be sure nothing is wrong there. Nothing....

Then I make a call to Justin Starkley from VMP Tuning about our problem to see if he wanted a shot at sending us a tune. Well after a brief discussion about what the car had done and what was going on, he starts to ask the questions...So I go dig up some of the answers as he had very specific questions about Part Numbers....

Well long story short he ran into a problem years ago during a magazine article for MM&FF about installing Comp Cams and Springs into his GT500. The Intake Spring that they recommended was grossly under rated on closing pressure and causing the intake valve to be pushed open with minimal boost. Apparently he has made Comp aware of this and they have done nothing.

I just got off the phone with them and the Tech already knew about this problem and told me the replacement parts I needed to order. So instead of selling the correct parts the first time they sell them to you the second time and make you have to pay them more money and wait for the wrong parts to be returned. So now I have $450 tied up after spending $2500 on cam crap the first time and have to wait to return parts to get my money back.

And here is the TECH!!!!! If you order cams for you GT500 here is the correct Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers for the car.

Intake Spring - 26125-16
Exhaust Spring - 16123-32 (You only will need 16 but they only sell by 32)
Intake Titanium Retainer - 791-16
Exhaust Titanium Retainer - 798-16

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
They make you BUY the correct springs and retainers to prevent their garbage from working correctly?????????:rant:

Noted.............and a big WTF!!!!????????!!!!!!:dead2::tdown:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Spring - 16123-32
Titanium Retainer - 798-16 ( 2 Sets)

This is what they originally sold us.

They did not mention anything about needing other springs or retainers. These parts above fit the older 4V stuff and not the GT500 and Ford GT heads.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So did you want to sell the extra 16 exhaust springs?

I can sell them to you with the Titanium Retainers for what it cost me to replace them. If your interested I'll get a copy of the invoice when it arrives and email it to you. The exhaust doings were a total of $5 more than the new ones I just ordered. Let me know if you are still interested as they are around $450 with retainers.

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
we just did the install on a gt500 as well ans it was a PIA to get everything correct, in addition to everything listed above you also need to get 03 cobra cam bolts, the ones from the gt500wont work with the comp cam.

BTW we ended up using springs 26123-16 and 26125-16

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is the difference in height of the old springs (on right) and the correct ones (on left).
ae32339f-1b89-e4c7.jpg

Got it buttoned back up today. Now waiting for the tune. Hopefully should be in the high 800 rwhp to low 900 rwhp on the street tune. I'll keep everyone updated on what it makes.

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
I'm not a mechanic but I can see a bit of a difference. lol!

Glad you got it all up and ready. Can't wait to see the numbers!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back